Official Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadow Game" by A.M. Adair.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadow Game is about Elle, a military operative who was called to Iraq to take down a terrorist organization alongside her close-knit team. While attempting to pursue her list of targets, she has to struggle not to let her emotions get in the way of her performance. In this line of work, any tiny mistake can be fatal, for both her and her team. Author A.M. Adair tells this story from Elle's perspective, giving it a more personal and immersive feel throughout.

I was really impressed by how tense and well-executed this book's action sequences are. They're highly immersive and gripping, with a focus on what Elle is thinking and feeling, and they play into her character development seamlessly, driving the narrative forward. I was especially struck by a scene where she snuck through an alleyway to a target's house, examining every angle to avoid multiple groups of guards. Throughout the book, each mission balances logistics with Elle's perception of events, making for a crisp and immersive experience.

With regards to the book's characters, though, I'm honestly rather ambivalent. There are some very interesting side characters, like the sociopath that Elle nicknamed "Red Shirt", but I felt like most of them just weren't developed at all. This made them feel more like set pieces than elements of a living, breathing world. In addition, while I thought the way Elle grappled with her emotions was interesting, the fact remains that this is a very stereotypical kind of conflict for a female character to go through. I'm also very tired of reading books where a female action protagonist has to rely on men desiring her sexually, rather than solely on her own skills.

In my opinion, this book's biggest problem is that it feels incomplete. When I reached the last page, I felt like I'd just finished reading the first half of a novel, instead of the first book in a series. The sudden setback that Elle faced towards the end felt more like a midpoint in her personal journey than a conclusion, and there were other underdeveloped aspects of the story that made me annoyed that I was ever invested in them, like her brief fling that never really went anywhere. I'm sure these will be expanded upon in the sequel, but I still didn't like how little development was given.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It has some really impressive aspects, especially in how thorough its action sequences are, but it just feels too incomplete to give it a perfect rating. It goes without saying that it has a lot of violent content, so it's only appropriate for older readers, but any fan of military thrillers, especially those who appreciate well-written action sequences, should check it out.

Shadow Game
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Moh2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moh2.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Moh2 »

This one seems like some military grade story. According to your review, seems like an enjoyable read. Good job.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

This is a thrilling book with an element of danger. Following Elle’s military operations are sure to be mind blowing. Nice review
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This book seems to have a lot of suspense in it. But I'm afraid I don't enjoy stories with a lot of plot holes and lack of development. Thanks for the review! Great job!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, it seems an intriguing novel, but I'll see if a sequel is published to tell what remained without a conclusion. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

It is a shame about the drawbacks that you have pointed out. But both the plot and character development - my biggest pet peeve is lack of character development - have me convinced that I will enjoy this book! I hope I am not disappointed. Thank you for pointing the drawbacks out so I am not caught out unprepared! :)
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

Well, I loved the cover of this book. Your insightful review has also invigorated my desire to read it. Thank you!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The book cover is catchy and so is its story. Hoping to read it soon. Thanks for the review.
Momoftwo2020
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Momoftwo2020 »

This book has tons of suspense in it and i like books like this. Great book.
Mamakachi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamakachi1.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Mamakachi1 »

Thank you for your review. This seems like a book I will enjoy reading.
Agnes544
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes544.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Agnes544 »

Honestly i feel that the romance between Ellen and Julian was rushed, i did not get the time to comprehend what was going on between them.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Wonderful review. It’s informative and i’m looking forward to give it a read it.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I really liked the review; it's very authentic. Gongratulations!
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

Great review! I agree with you that the book had some under-developed characters! The author did not develop them.
Micheal Joseph
Favorite Book: A Bloody Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-joseph.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Micheal Joseph »

Yes I totally agree with your review. I enjoyed the book but it still felt like an incomplete action thriller. The character designs were good but required more detail and emotions

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”