Official Review: And Then he was Gone by Joan Hall Hovey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: And Then he was Gone by Joan Hall Hovey

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "And Then he was Gone" by Joan Hall Hovey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Julie and her husband were supposed to have dinner for their anniversary, but her husband just disappeared. His work truck was gone, and there was no trace of where he could be. Julie then finds herself a suspect in his disappearance, though she is determined more than anyone to find out what happened to her husband. Meanwhile, David has just awoken from a nineteen-year coma caused by a near-death accident when he was just a child. And Then He Was Gone by Joan Hall Hovey tells the story of how Julie and David’s seemingly unrelated lives are connected by a series of tragic events.

I absolutely love stories that cross the lines between genres, and this story does just that. It starts off as what appears to be a typical mystery novel, but it gradually transforms throughout the story with a lot of suspenseful drama and just a hint of the supernatural. In all honesty, when supernatural elements started to appear with the book, I thought that it would make the story a little less believable, but that wasn’t the case at all. There was, instead, just enough to make me think, “Whoa, did that just happen?” without complete suspension of disbelief.

There were two storylines going on this book, with Julie’s being the main plotline and David’s being much more minor. One of my favorite things about this story was the mystery between the two, and trying to figure out how their stories were connected. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I was kind of disappointed when the connection was revealed. I don’t know if was intended to be a big surprise reveal or not, but it wasn’t revealed in a surprising way at all. I found it to be bit anticlimactic, and, as a result, disappointing.

Other than that, I absolutely loved this book. The overlapping of genres in combination with the well-written characters kept me interested in what was going on with all of the storylines. It was easy to love the “good guys” and despise the “bad guys,” though there were a few interesting characters who didn’t fit neatly into either category. The emotions, especially those experienced by Julie, were well-portrayed, and readers can easily relate to her and empathize with the situation she has found herself in, which seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes by.

There are quite a few typographical errors scattered throughout the text, though they were honestly quite minor and didn’t really inhibit my enjoyment of the book. Adult language is present throughout the book as well, so it might not be appropriate for younger readers. Overall, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It’s a great read with excellent character development and overlapping storylines, though I would like to have seen a little more suspense with the connection between Julie and David. With another round of editing, this book could be perfect.

And Then he was Gone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Gacau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gacau.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Gacau »

Great Review. And Then he was Gone , as the title of this book fits very well with the story-line. The title is attractive and develops a desire to read it. I found it awkward or rather disappointing that the aspect of suspense is not well utilized in an investigative read. Nevertheless, I love the supernatural elements incorporated in the book.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a captivating book; I will add it to my list. Thanks for the engaging review!
Isaac Kangwa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Isaac Kangwa »

Sounds like a very interesting book,it has all essentials of a good book
I'll add it to my list ❤️ thanks
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

Sounds like my type of book. I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks for your thoughtful review!
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

That always seems to be a make or break element when it comes to romance. Sometimes when the big reveal is underwhelming it becomes difficult to finish the book. Glad you seemed to enjoy the rest of it though!
En+kay
Currently Reading: The Hit
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by En+kay »

This will make an intriguing read, I like the review which says the two storyline overlap seamlessly. I will like to flip through to know where the man who disappeared was found
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this novel seems intriguing for the intertwined stories that blend genres. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”