Official Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fear Me Now" by Christopher Williams.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams is a thriller set in the 1990s in downtown Atlanta. The story opens with Crenshaw Dimes (known as Dubb Sack to his friends) celebrating his twenty-first birthday by drinking beer in the Varsity parking lot with an older friend. They are discussing Crenshaw’s mother losing her job for being accused of stealing from the company when they see some young, white Georgia Tech students acting racist. This leads to a confrontation, and the students run away in fear of the two black men. In the next few weeks, Crenshaw feels like he gets one bad turn after another and begins to spiral into depression and madness. Through interactions with different religious organizations as well as with people in the world, he realizes that all of his troubles are caused by “the white devil” who brought his people to America and cut them off from their culture and themselves. After he snaps at work and attacks a customer, his downward spiral hits rock bottom, and he begins his personal eradication of the white devil from this earth.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book, but it certainly was outside of any expectation I could possibly have. As the author promises, it is dark and gritty, but, for me, this dark realism came more from Crenshaw’s description of the unfair world around him than from his spiral into madness. The book evoked more emotion through a couple paragraphs of flashbacks to racist experiences he had as a child than through the rest of the story put together. The reader doesn’t have time to connect to Crenshaw on any personal level (except shared anger over slavery and racism) before he begins the descent into violence and retribution.

Another issue I experienced was that the end of the book was rushed and didn’t quite make sense. The entire ending unfolds within a few pages, and it doesn’t leave any room for further character development for Crenshaw. He experiences an event that makes him question his actions so far, but then he ends up going right back down the same road. I was confused as to why the author included that event if he was just going to show that Crenshaw wouldn’t learn anything from it. For me, this was a letdown, as I had hoped that, even though the world around him hadn’t changed, he would be changed by something so drastic happening to him.

The last major problem I found with this book was the lack of professional editing. I understand that the characters generally speak in Ebonics, a linguistic vernacular that doesn’t follow traditional grammatical rules. However, the book had issues that went beyond grammar. There was inconsistent spacing between lines and paragraphs, often leaving half a page blank even though it wasn’t the end of a chapter or section. The font size changed multiple times in the first chapter for no apparent reason. Beyond this, there were punctuation, spelling, and grammatical errors in the narration, which didn’t appear purposeful.

Given the considerations above, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I chose to give it two stars instead of one because it did accomplish the goal of evoking emotion and making me think about race relations in America, so I considered it successful in this area. However, I feel that I can’t give it more than two stars due to the numerous errors and the inability for the reader to connect to the protagonist and for the protagonist to develop in response to his experiences.

I would recommend this book only to adults, as it contains some (non-explicit) sexual material and a good amount of explicit language. This would be a good read for white Americans who want to understand the African American experience better and for African Americans who would like to see their frustrations with the system written into a narrative.

Fear Me Now
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I am not convinced this book is something I'd love to read, but somehow, it hooked my interest. Thank you for reviewing!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This book seems to have an interesting potential, but it also needed an editor who could help the author in its development and proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I just cannot enjoy a book where i don't feel connected to the character in some way. Also i like reading books which have a satisfying ending. I think I'll pass this one. Great review though👍 thank you!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

While I can't say I've personally experienced racism, I've witnessed it my entire life. That being said, I find that subject quite interesting, because even if no healthy person would actually consider massively eliminating others as a solution, I also kind of understand the motivations behind that, the desperation that could lead to it. Clearly I'm not justifying it, but I understand how that could root in someone's mind. Quite an interesting plot.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Racism has been an age long problem. In this book, Crenshaw has had a fair share of it. Good review.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I think that the book offers an interesting point of view that will provoke emotion and thought when read.
Laurakish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurakish.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Laurakish »

The book is not for me, but I find it insightful to those who suffer the same. Thank you for an honest review
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds like it had the potwntial to be the kind of thought provoking horror or thriller that works like Get Out are, but you definitely need to connect to the characters for that to work.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This book has a lot of potential for improvement. Thanks for the honest review.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

This sounds like a thought-provoking read. I wish the author had spent a bit more time developing the protagonist so readers can connect with him. Thanks for your review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Standing up to racism? That's a good one. Thanks for the review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book has a sensitive plot but I find it interesting. Thanks for the review.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: A Miracle For Evi by Eva-Maria Frank

Post by MoeBrown »

This books seems as if it has the potential to be better if revisited.
Sheryl Brown 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sheryl Brown 3 »

This book seems to have alot of potential if more time was given to properly develop the book. Good review tho

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”