Official Review: A Religion Called Love by David Trock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Official Review: A Religion Called Love by David Trock

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Religion Called Love" by David Trock.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Religion Called Love by David Trock is the story of kindergarten teacher Kathryn James. She genuinely cares for the children in her class, and they love her. However, some parents dislike Kathryn because she's not religious. When Kathryn gets murdered, some people think it's connected to her ideas even if no clues can confirm it. Her death shocks her hometown in different ways, and a manuscript she was writing about love start getting spread around.

This novel is cataloged as a mystery, but that's only a little part of the story. There's a murder, but the investigation and the trial cover only a few chapters. Probably, experts of the mystery genre will easily figure out who's the murderer, but that's not the point of the novel. In fact, this book is mostly about faith and morality with love at its center. In fact, it advocates the concept that love can be a central force in people's lives without the need of any deity as its source.

Note that this novel is not anti-religion, and David Trock depicted characters that can be good or bad regardless of their religious practice. One of Kathryn's friends is a pastor who is open to at least some of her secular ideas. Most characters are Christian because the story is set in a small town in the USA. The author uses them to show different ways to practice religion. Some people claim they practice a religion of love, but they're hostile to people who have different ideas. Some bad people hide behind religion to create a façade of decency.

I appreciated that David Trock used Kathryn's manuscript to argue his ideas with a positive attitude, without attacking other positions. There are some philosophical concepts behind that idea of love, but the author often uses simple acts to show that in the end it's a way of life, not just a nice theory.

Questions are asked after Kathryn is murdered because some people think that her secular ideas made her a target. An unexpected consequence is that a manuscript she was writing gets spread around, and people talk about its contents, the secular idea of love that needs no deity as its source. Various points of view are offered, and I liked that they give the readers an opportunity to reflect about those ideas.

A great deal of the story is told following Dr. Reed Palmer, one of Kathryn's best friends. He's a medical doctor who cares about his patients, and often talks about medical research with his oldest friend Howell Martin. The author published articles about medical research, so he clearly knows what he's writing about. The occasional use of jargon is justified by some plot developments, but sometimes I felt he used too much of that, and that's the only thing I can say I didn't like about the novel.

The novel includes some profanities, some sexual contents, and some descriptions of violent acts caused by criminal activities, so it's suitable for adults. It's professionally edited with only a couple of formatting problems. Above all, it's a thought provoking novel based on dialogues and reflections. There are some intriguing twists that offer even more food for thought, but there's little action, so the pace is quite slow. Overall, I found its contents very interesting, so my rating is 4 out of 4 stars. If you're open to questions about faith and morality, I recommend A Religion Called Love.

A Religion Called Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I am glad the book can impact some knowledge on love without being judgmental to other viewpoints. Nice review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Wyland wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 01:43 I am glad the book can impact some knowledge on love without being judgmental to other viewpoints. Nice review.
It's a just cause, and I'm happy I could review this book. Thank you for your comment.
Massimo
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I like that the author shares his viewpoint in a positive and thoughtful tone. It’s hard to read books when there’s an overall negative or overly critical tone. You can learn a lot more when the ideas are presented in a thoughtful/thought-provoking manner. Thanks for another interesting review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 09:33 I like that the author shares his viewpoint in a positive and thoughtful tone. It’s hard to read books when there’s an overall negative or overly critical tone. You can learn a lot more when the ideas are presented in a thoughtful/thought-provoking manner. Thanks for another interesting review!
The author's positive attitude is one of tha main reasons why I appreciated the novel. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It is certainly true that there are individuals who say they love everyone but really don't and have some very disturbing actions towards people of other faiths. This sounds like a fascinating book that I would enjoy reading. Thanks for your informative and interesting review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Prisallen wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 08:49 It is certainly true that there are individuals who say they love everyone but really don't and have some very disturbing actions towards people of other faiths. This sounds like a fascinating book that I would enjoy reading. Thanks for your informative and interesting review!
The novel shows the difference between appearance and actual attitude of some characters. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Laxmi karthik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Laxmi karthik »

Very good concept based on love.love makes life beautiful
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Laxmi karthik wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 12:51 Very good concept based on love.love makes life beautiful
Love Conquers All!
Massimo
Pixie232

Post by Pixie232 »

Very nice way of presenting it as thoughtful and positive, great concept on love
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Pixie232 wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 15:52 Very nice way of presenting it as thoughtful and positive, great concept on love
True love is positive, so that's how the author presented it.
Massimo
Consuelascott19

Post by Consuelascott19 »

Very informative about love and it explains love without being judgmental.
LoganWhite05

Post by LoganWhite05 »

I am glad the book can impact some knowledge on love without being judgmental to other viewpoints. Nice review
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Consuelascott19 wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 08:15 Very informative about love and it explains love without being judgmental.
Yes, that sums it up. Thank you for your comment.
Massimo
Nallely_Mayorga

Post by Nallely_Mayorga »

I like this history because the point of view of the author is a different way that other people see and that’s what make this different and unique.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”