Official Review: The Lords of Burnout by Jonathan Jaye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: The Lords of Burnout by Jonathan Jaye

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lords of Burnout" by Jonathan Jaye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"I never asked for Lord of the Flies. I never asked to fight in the arena. I just wanted to make myself useful in the world, make a living, and try to fit in. But now I didn't even know who that guy was anymore."

-- Henry "Buck" Buckman discussing why he chose his profession
Buck is the main character and narrator of The Lords of Burnout by Jonathan Jaye. Through a novel full of vivid descriptions, strong characters, and an exciting plot, Jaye addresses the issue of burnout on the job in America. Writing with straightforwardness and honesty, the author brings reality to the tone of the book, and I liked the candid insights. I enjoyed the pace of the book, the author's humor, and the mystery of it all.

The Lords of Burnout are all male characters, and Jaye has given them good texture. Most are well-developed, and the others at least are provided full backstories. I enjoyed the diversity of the men, and I found their stories intriguing. The author offers a good deal of openness among the men, which adds to the characters' development. Among all the testosterone in the book, the narrator's wife performs a significant role in the story, bringing both balance and unconditional love to her marriage. I admired the author's drawing of such a determined, loyal female character. She is an excellent addition among the males in the story.

The development of Buck's character starts immediately when we meet him at his workplace, the mental facility in Edgewater Hospital. After thirty years as a psychologist in public mental health wards, Buck has become so stressed, so burned out, that his thoughts are scattered, and his nerves are frayed. Exasperated and ready to bring an end to it all, he welcomes a fight with a homicidal patient, believing that the staff will stand back and let him die. Instead, a security team takes him to the hospital's administrator for losing his cool and being a danger to himself and others. She is a spiteful boss who is excited about the opportunity to let Buck go and ruin his reputation. In fact, she already has his file on her desk. Instead, Buck lets her know he is aware of some illegal goings-on she allows in the hospital, so he gets to go home without a writeup or even an unfavorable report. He retires and enjoys the idea of spending more time with his wife and dogs. Unfortunately, that's when the crazy actually begins.

What I found remarkable about this book is that the plot doesn't just focus on the unraveling of Buck and the consequences of his burnout. Through a story of mystery and twists, the author examines what burnout is and what it does to idealistic workers. He describes how many of these workers get caught up in a system that assaults them and leaves them wounded. These people go into a career with love for it and eventually end up hating it.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Since it was an audiobook, I listened for mistakes, but I heard none. (I will note that the Audible experience enhanced the book's vivid word pictures nicely.) I recommend The Lords of Burnout to people who enjoy crime mysteries, and to people who are experiencing burnout on their jobs. While this book won't cure your agony, you can commiserate with Buck and his friends, knowing that you are not alone. Prospective readers or listeners should know there is profanity and a little gore in the book. However, there are no sexual situations. Readers fresh in their professions might be too idealistic to deduce all the nuances of this book. However, seasoned runners of the rat race, the grind, or whatever it is called these days will appreciate the honesty with which the book looks at burnout. I will probably listen to it again myself.

The Lords of Burnout
View: on Bookshelves
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

Burnout is a common concept among men. I think the tales in this book are relatable.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

That Reviewer wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 06:18 Burnout is a common concept among men. I think the tales in this book are relatable.
Yes, this book is absolutely relatable! Thanks for taking time to comment.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A mystery that digs into the protagonist's psychological situation seems intriguing. Thank you for your interesting review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”