Official Review: Stasiland by Rolf Richardson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Stasiland by Rolf Richardson

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stasiland" by Rolf Richardson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you do when you find yourself accused of a crime you know nothing about? If you’ve ever been in this kind of situation, or something similar, you’ll surely find Stasiland by Rolf Richardson quite intriguing.

The story is about Ed Blake’s unfortunate predicament during his tour of Germany. He had just gone through a divorce and decided to embark on a tour of Europe as a way of making the most of his newfound freedom. While on a ship cruise to one of the tourist attractions somewhere between Dresden and the Czech border, he found a man he had met earlier in the day murdered. While trying to figure out how to keep this information away from the deceased son, he was accused of committing the crime. To prove his innocence, he has to join in the police investigation into the murder of Jonny, a local political leader. Will Blake be able to prove his innocence?

Stasiland by Rolf Richardson is an intriguing political thriller that keeps you reading until you’re done. I couldn’t set the book down after I started as it was full of suspense. Written in the first-person narrative with Ed Blake as the central character, the book developed and got more interesting as I read further. As I read through the chapters, I didn’t want to stop reading until I got to the end. Even after the book got to it’s supposed climax, there were more intriguing events in the final pages of this book.

What I liked most about the book was the brevity of its chapters. They were between 3 and 6 pages long. I could read through it on a whim. The good thing about this was that I didn’t feel the boredom that is usually associated with reading long chapters. Within 2 hours, I was in the fortieth chapter. This will really help people who have a very short attention span to read this book without feeling like it’s taking too long to finish.

I would not fail to mention that this book was educative and informative. I learned a lot of new things while reading this book. For instance, I learned words like “Frau”, which is the title used for women in German and “Herr” for the male counterpart. I also learned a bit of the German political history and structure. The author ensured that words that weren't in English were translated immediately to aid the reading flow.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. I did not observe any errors, and the book was professionally edited. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all lovers of crime thrillers.

Stasiland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like a great crime thriller of an American in a foreign country. I think it is a book I will enjoy.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Great review. This is not a book I would go for but your review is changing my thoughts. I might check this out.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

For someone with the attention span of a goldfish like me, I agree with the commentary that short chapters are so much easier to keep you focused.
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

This sounds like just my kind of book. I love murder mysteries, and one where an amateur gets involved in a police investigation is even better. Thanks for a great review. :D
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Miller56 wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 11:17 Thanks for the review. This sounds like a great crime thriller of an American in a foreign country. I think it is a book I will enjoy.
You're welcome Miller
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Ria710 wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 12:36 Great review. This is not a book I would go for but your review is changing my thoughts. I might check this out.
I'm sure you'd love it when you read it. Thanks for your comment.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

derialist wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 08:26 For someone with the attention span of a goldfish like me, I agree with the commentary that short chapters are so much easier to keep you focused.
You'll definitely find this book easy to read. Thanks for your comment.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Juliet+1 wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 11:53 This sounds like just my kind of book. I love murder mysteries, and one where an amateur gets involved in a police investigation is even better. Thanks for a great review. :D
You're welcome Juliet.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

This sounds like a very captivating crime thriller; I hope to read this amazing book soon. Many thanks for the well-written review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Sheila_Jay wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 00:15 This sounds like a very captivating crime thriller; I hope to read this amazing book soon. Many thanks for the well-written review.
Thank you Sheila_Jay for your comments.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

I'm averse to anything with a political connotation. I'll take a pass on this one. That's a great review though.
En+kay
Currently Reading: The Hit
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by En+kay »

This is a candid review, managing the expectations of would-be reader with short attention span on this political crime thriller.
I love the theme of an amateur joining the police to unravel a murder case
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

This book, from your review makes me think that a good way to clear oneself from an accusation could be to join in the investigation. Am not sure, which is why I'll have to read this book.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

A book that will keep you on your toes asking for more; now that's my type of story. I am already interested in finding out if Ed Blake was able to crack this case & maybe became a full fledged detective.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”