Official Review: The Midas Effect by Manuel Dorado

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Midas Effect by Manuel Dorado

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Midas Effect" by Manuel Dorado.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Manuel Dorado has written a satisfying and  interesting technothriller in The Midas Effect. Thought-provoking, the book explores human nature with all its good - love and friendship - and bad - greed and power. Originally written in Spanish, this English translation is a highly entertaining, well-written story that will survive the test of time.

Monica Eveleigh has a mission. Her mission is to "capture" Miguel Le Fablec. The people she works for think he could be a Midas - someone who "can make their imagination become reality." He can't know anything about it, though, until they know more about his abilities. Monica's superiors have arranged for him to leave his position at the University of Grenada and go to San Jose State University in California, which is near their secret research facility. Does Miguel really have these powers? If so, how will he stop those who just want to use him for what he can do?

Written in the third person perspective, the story follows multiple characters, allowing the reader to have a rounded view of the plot. The characters are realistic and even maddening at times. Like any good characters, they have positive and negative attributes. Miguel is tempted by power, but he has a good heart. It's Monica's duty to help study Miguel, yet she wants the best for him. I appreciated the work the author put into the characters.

The descriptions in the book are immersive; they allow the reader to enter the story. Mr. Dorado has a way with words, which helps the reader to engage their imagination. "The trilling sound woke Gorlov from his thoughts, from the Californian sun, and gracelessly dumped him back in his cold, damp office in Leningrad."

The thought-provoking nature of the book comes from the idea of being able to make anything one can imagine happen. If you had this power, what would you do with it? How would you deal with those that would take advantage of this Midas Effect? Would this power corrupt anyone "lucky" enough to have it? Or would there be someone so pure of heart as to be able to use it only for good? It's an interesting concept, and I love how the author incorporated the old Midas story into a contemporary novel. It's brilliant.

As for an appropriate audience, it's important to note that there is some language, violence, and sexual content. Anyone that's not easily offended by these things and enjoys a fast-paced, entertaining story would enjoy this book. Its readership shouldn't be limited to only those that like technothrillers.

The book has only a minor number of errors that didn't affect my enjoyment of it. Because of the great character development and immersive descriptions, I rate The Midas Effect 4 out of 4 stars. It's a thrilling book that I'm glad I had the opportunity of reading. Manuel Dorado is talented, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else is in his imagination.

The Midas Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds intriguing. I am one of those that would prefer the book without the strong language and sexual content though. Thanks for the informative review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a clever new twist on the old Midas. Thanks for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Too much power is always likely to corrupt those "lucky" few, but I can't deny the wish for my own imaginations to become reality! This sounds like a fascinating gem of a tale, thanks for your honest impressions.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Jaime Lync wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 21:52 This sounds intriguing. I am one of those that would prefer the book without the strong language and sexual content though. Thanks for the informative review.
So would I. I actually didn't know it was going to be in there. However, there's really only one true sex scene, and it's pretty easy to skip. So there is that. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MsH2k wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 01:12 This sounds like a clever new twist on the old Midas. Thanks for a great review!
It really is. Definitely worth reading.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 01:23 Too much power is always likely to corrupt those "lucky" few, but I can't deny the wish for my own imaginations to become reality! This sounds like a fascinating gem of a tale, thanks for your honest impressions.
I'm not sure if I could handle the power myself. I think I'd like to try, though. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This sounds like an interesting twist on the Midas myth. If I had this power, at least, in this case, the first thing I would imagine is that there was and never would be anyone who wished to take advantage of me!! From there, the sky would be the limit. Thanks for the interesting review!
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I desperately want to be a Midas😀. The book sounds promising, and I hope it turns out great.
Thanks a lot for an informative review Kandscreeley ☺
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kelyn wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 21:27 This sounds like an interesting twist on the Midas myth. If I had this power, at least, in this case, the first thing I would imagine is that there was and never would be anyone who wished to take advantage of me!! From there, the sky would be the limit. Thanks for the interesting review!
That's an interesting thought. It was a fun book. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Aniza Butt wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 01:42 I desperately want to be a Midas😀. The book sounds promising, and I hope it turns out great.
Thanks a lot for an informative review Kandscreeley ☺
We think we'd like to be Midases, but I'm not sure it's all it's cracked up to be. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like a captivating read. It seems unlikely that such power would corrupt me, but then again, is one aware if they are being corrupted?!
Thanks for the engaging and thought-provoking review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

One amazing thing that I love about this book is the fact that the descriptions allowed readers to "enter" the story.
Thanks for the review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It's probably a good thing that most of us don't have the ability to make our imaginations into reality. I'm afraid that would not always bode well. I enjoyed reading your review. Great job!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cotwani wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 04:13 Sounds like a captivating read. It seems unlikely that such power would corrupt me, but then again, is one aware if they are being corrupted?!
Thanks for the engaging and thought-provoking review!
There are some interesting points brought up in the book. You might change your mind. You might not too. It's fun to think about. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”