Official Review: Revenge is mine by Malcolm John Baker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: Revenge is mine by Malcolm John Baker

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Revenge is mine" by Malcolm John Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Revenge is Mine by Malcolm John Baker is categorized as a C/T/M/H, but I believe that "revenge novel" is a more appropriate category. Two brothers named Mohamed and Khan are the protagonists of the story. Mohamed Ali (no kidding) is a general in the army of ISIS, and his brother Khan Ali is his trusted man. The US government, aware of their threat, decides to order an attack using drones. The problem is that instead of killing the two terrorists, they end up killing their families.

If the two brothers already hated the United States, with the death of their relatives, they are sure that their goal in life is to die fighting "The Great Satan." The plan is to reach the United States taking advantage of the fact that Germany was accepting millions of immigrants. In the United States, with the help of radical Muslims, the plan is to kill the American president and attack the White House.

The plot may seem simplistic and fanciful at first, but as the pages go by, this idea fades away. The author was able to insert exciting romantic components. A terrorist's way of thinking is described brilliantly. What I liked most about the book was that it created situations that seem plausible. I mean, it's a tough mission for someone to attack the White House and kill the president. The author, however, managed to create an engaging plot that makes sense.

Some parts of the book, however, are cheesy and do not look very realistic. For example, Muslim terrorists always seem to be one step ahead of the FBI. When one of the terrorists is captured, all that remains is for the interrogators to say, "Could you please collaborate with the American government?" This kind of treatment does not occur in the real world. That's what I disliked the most about the book.

I can say that I found few grammar errors (mostly comma misuse), but the PDF file I received does not seem to be the final version of the book. I say this because there are comments from the editor on pages 10, 11, 19, 30, 39, 40, 54, 65, 75, and 143. There is no profanity, but Malcolm John Baker included unnecessary erotic scenes.

Overall, Revenge is Mine deserves 4 out of 4 stars. It's entertaining, easy-to-read, and fast-paced. True, some events seem artificial and the characters do not have much psychological depth, but these are minor flaws. Two Muslims wanting revenge after the death of their relatives is plausible. I recommend this book to people over 16 who like "revenge books."

Revenge is mine
View: on Bookshelves
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

This seems more like an engaging book; I wouldn't mind the errotic scenes present as long as they don't affect the plot of the book.
Your review was well done!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like books that seem plausible and easy to believe, even if it's a fantasy. I'm glad that, overall, this book seems be one that makes you feel it could happen. As always, I loved reading your review. Great job!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I agree with you by the example that you provided; certain parts seem too far-fetched and cheesy, but overall the book sounds like it could happen in real life. Thank you for the thought-provoking review!
lorenaremache
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lorenaremache »

Certain people don’t really appreciate cheesiness in books while others do, but with the point of it being realistic that’s much better because if the plot didn’t make sense no one would want to read it the readers would just be confused but do to the fact that their making it sound realistic thats reasonable . Besides this book creates thoughts in the readers minds if what happened in the book could occur in real life which creates suspense and people to want to read it maybe.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 05:46 This seems more like an engaging book; I wouldn't mind the errotic scenes present as long as they don't affect the plot of the book.
Your review was well done!
They don't affect the plot of the book. You can be sure about that. Thanks for passing by, Kanda_theGreat. I appreciate it. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Prisallen wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 13:37 I like books that seem plausible and easy to believe, even if it's a fantasy. I'm glad that, overall, this book seems be one that makes you feel it could happen. As always, I loved reading your review. Great job!
Thanks a bunch, Prisallen. You’re awesome. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 12:19 I agree with you by the example that you provided; certain parts seem too far-fetched and cheesy, but overall the book sounds like it could happen in real life. Thank you for the thought-provoking review!
Indeed. The reality of what happens is most of the time shaped by Hollywood movies. That is why it is sometimes complicated to know what is cheesy or not. Thanks for passing by, my friend. I appreciate it. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

lorenaremache wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 21:35 Certain people don’t really appreciate cheesiness in books while others do, but with the point of it being realistic that’s much better because if the plot didn’t make sense no one would want to read it the readers would just be confused but do to the fact that their making it sound realistic thats reasonable . Besides this book creates thoughts in the readers minds if what happened in the book could occur in real life which creates suspense and people to want to read it maybe.
Your analysis is perfect, lorenaremache. Thanks for your feedback. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Nylaaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Nylaaa »

I really loved your review. It gives s a clear description making the book seem really interesting. Thanks . :wink:
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Nylaaa wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 16:08 I really loved your review. It gives s a clear description making the book seem really interesting. Thanks . :wink:
Thanks for your kind words, Nylaaa. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Sometimes a bit of cheesiness can be fun, though I on't know if it fits with the tone of the book without reading it, of course. That being said, this is new. I rarely ever see anything from the eyes of the terrorists that these wars get started over.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”