Official Review: Sinful by the3percenters Collective

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Sinful by the3percenters Collective

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sinful" by the3percenters Collective.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sinful is a book of eight short stories from a collective of seven Irish crime authors who call themselves “the3percenters.” In “Sessions with Elena,” a psychiatrist's narcissistic and psychotic patient becomes obsessed with her. “Eleven O Two” deals with Barry, a dissatisfied office employee who catches a train home from a work function and meets an attractive redhead even drunker than him. In “You Must Be Good for Something but You Ain't No Good to Me,” debt collector Charlie's latest assignment proves more complicated than usual. “Goodbye Bella Bailey” describes the folly of a man who thought he could have it all, while "Number Five" is about Daniel, a young family man who enjoys hiking alone in the beautiful Irish countryside – and not just for the hiking. These stories and more make up this highly entertaining anthology.

The idea of forming a collective like “the3percenters” to promote emerging writers is brilliant. With so many talented, struggling writers and artists out there, it’s great to see some taking the initiative to promote themselves in groups. I can tell you now: “the3percenters” have plenty of talent. “Sessions with Elena” was fantastic, featuring great characterisation, suspense, drama, beautiful editing, and a powerful twist ending. I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end.

“Eleven O Two” was a dark, rivetting tale of a disturbed man dissatisfied with life, while “You Must Be Good for Something but You Ain’t No Good to Me” was a cracking, raw, street-smart story featuring some clever humour. “Goodbye Bella Bailey” beautifully highlighted the perils of becoming involved with a broken woman: a manipulative, controlling, malignant narcissist. “The Porkeen in the Pulper Shed” dealt with the disturbing psychology of a young social misfit in a relatively sympathetic way.

“Number Five” was brilliant, its innocuous set-up followed by not one but two shattering twists – simple, dark storytelling at its best. I found “Tainted Love” satisfying and fulfilling, given it depicted the ultimate fall of a morally bankrupt human being. Finally, “All That Glisters” offered a powerful and disturbing glimpse into a violent relationship and the destructive personality behind it. My favourite stories in this collection were “Sessions with Elena,” “You Must Be Good for Something but You Ain't No Good to Me,” “Goodbye Bella Bailey,” and “Number Five.” However, I enjoyed all the stories to varying degrees; there were none that didn't feel well-written and engaging.

As for negatives, there were some missing commas on occasion, plus other minor typographical errors, mostly after the first 100 well-edited pages. I must, therefore, rate Sinful 3 out of 4 stars. However, with the editing fixed, it would be a definite 4-star book. Anyone who enjoys quality crime fiction would love this book, with its strong character development, twist endings, and the dark yet irresistible pull of human beings with serious psychological issues. It did contain some profanity and erotic scenes, but I found both suitable for the genre.

Sinful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Oh wow, this sounds like a gripping novel. Everyone seems to have a dark secret that is going to come to light. Just my type of read! Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While I am not usually fond of short stories from multiple groups, it sounds like the3percenters' stories mesh well together. Thanks for the engaging review!
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This compilation of stories sounds like a great read and the diverse input of authors makes this even more appealing. Thanks for a great review.
KingK123
Favorite Book: The Sultan's Harem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingk123.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by KingK123 »

The fact that the authors are all specifically Irish crime writers sounds very intriguing. I would be interested in seeing the similarities between the stories.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Sounds like a perfect read once those minor edits are made! Great review!
Spencer Mack
ronmathewalx
Currently Reading: Exiles' Escape
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronmathewalx.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by ronmathewalx »

The plot seems to be really gripping!! It is not exactly my taste, but I would love to give this book a try.
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

Weaving psychology into crime fiction sounds like a perfect marriage! I can’t wait to read this.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Letora wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 05:53 Oh wow, this sounds like a gripping novel. Everyone seems to have a dark secret that is going to come to light. Just my type of read! Great review!
Thanks! It certainly was a gripping read, from a talented set of authors. They definitely deserve a wider audience.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 06:03 While I am not usually fond of short stories from multiple groups, it sounds like the3percenters' stories mesh well together. Thanks for the engaging review!
Yeah, thematically, these stories were very similar, but with enough variety to keep things interesting. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Falconcrest wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 06:04 This compilation of stories sounds like a great read and the diverse input of authors makes this even more appealing. Thanks for a great review.
Thanks! Each author definitely had their own style, though all of them fit into the crime genre particularly well.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

KingK123 wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 06:12 The fact that the authors are all specifically Irish crime writers sounds very intriguing. I would be interested in seeing the similarities between the stories.
The genre and settings had enough similarity to make this book cohesive, while the writers each had their own unique plot and style. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

spencermack wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 10:08 Sounds like a perfect read once those minor edits are made! Great review!
Thanks! I agree - I would have really liked to rate this book the 4 stars it deserves.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

ronmathewalx wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 22:21 The plot seems to be really gripping!! It is not exactly my taste, but I would love to give this book a try.
Yeah, these stories really grabbed me and held my attention right from the outset. Definitely worth a read. Thanks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Marsnikk wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 08:02 Weaving psychology into crime fiction sounds like a perfect marriage! I can’t wait to read this.
The psychology of the characters did play a major role in all these stories. Really engaging crime writing. Thanks!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”