Official Review: Revenge Served Cold by Bob Ford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Revenge Served Cold by Bob Ford

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Revenge Served Cold" by Bob Ford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This tale is not only about the foolishness of youth, but also about a perverted friendship between two men spanning decades. Their brinkmanship masked as friendship, was born out of their need to outdo one another. In their duel for supremacy, the two men narrow their world to a population of two where they compete with each other via bizarre games. To lose is unacceptable, and there can only be one winner.

Andrea Francis finds herself the trophy that Max Roarke and Robby Trask must win at all costs. Ignorant of their perpetual rivalry, Andrea revels in the attention of both men and is unable to choose. A choice is ultimately made for her when both men decide her fate in one of their games. Eventually, Andrea marries one of them only to file for divorce years later to marry the other.

Once their trophy, Andrea becomes a reluctant spectator to their devious games, and in time, is reduced to their unintended victim. The realization of this devastating fact, and the pain Max and Robby’s contrived contests have caused her, leaves Andrea determined to exact retribution. What she has planned is deadlier than their games.

Revenge Served Cold by Bob Ford had an unusual yet compelling plot. First, there was the story of Max and Robby’s never-ending rivalry; then there was Adrea’s story of how her life was impacted by the actions of these two men. The writing flowed well, although some parts dragged a bit. The story had ample plot twists and proved to be an entertaining and suspenseful read. I applaud the author’s imagination, character development, and his vivid and spot-on descriptions of how and where the wealthy live and play.

My favorite character was Andrea. Although I was initially impatient with her for not following her heart when she first had the chance, I grew to appreciate her character evolution. Like she said in the book, how would any woman of twenty-three react if two of the world’s most sought-after bachelors had fallen in love with her? Her inflated ego simply squashed her common sense. She later matured into a strong, self-assured woman who wasted no time in taking the necessary steps to change the course of her life when the situation called for it. I was also impressed with how she went about exacting her revenge on Max and Robby. She demonstrated that she could play their games better than they could ever have imagined.

Robby’s character was not as easy to love. I believe Max’s character could have been saved if not for Robby’s toxic influence. He was usually the instigator of whatever new game he felt they needed to play, and he often never played fair. For instance, during their Tour de Francis game, he rigged Max’s bike to make sure it would never reach the finish line when they were competing for who would get to stay and woo Andrea. Their rabid competitiveness only intensified with time and seemed to provide them with a euphoria unmatched by anything else in their lives. They humiliated each other in ways real friends never would, yet they could not stop. They became trapped in an ever-tightening circle of their own creation, and nothing else mattered but the tally.

On the downside, several formatting and editing issues proved to be a bit of a distraction. There were more than a handful of grammatical and typographical errors. However, these issues did not necessarily detract from the quality of the story. If you enjoy a good mystery novel, this is the book for you. The amount of foul language in the book makes it unsuitable for children. I don’t recall ever reading a book quite like this and, I enjoyed how different it was. I rate Revenge Served Cold 3 out of 4 stars. I am compelled to deduct a star due to the issues mentioned above.

Revenge Served Cold
View: on Bookshelves
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

It sounds like an interesting story. I guess that Andrea learnt a lot from Robby and Max. Andrea sounds like an interesting character. Thank you for the review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Sometimes women do things better than men and it's scary. Then again, I'm compelled to side with Andrea for this because it sounds like Max and Robbie didn't care about the impact of their games so long as one of them won.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like plot twists, but I don't think this book would be one I would enjoy. The editing errors can be fixed. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I would love to know what Andrea did to get back at those men 😉 . Thanks for the review.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Oh, I need to read this just to find out about Andrea's plan! These boys were too blind to realize who they were messing with. I loved your review. Thanks for this compelling review.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a captivating read... your review has intrigued me! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Magnify3 wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 14:53 It sounds like an interesting story. I guess that Andrea learnt a lot from Robby and Max. Andrea sounds like an interesting character. Thank you for the review.
Thank you very much for commenting.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 15:14 Sometimes women do things better than men and it's scary. Then again, I'm compelled to side with Andrea for this because it sounds like Max and Robbie didn't care about the impact of their games so long as one of them won.
They certainly had it coming. It was all about the tally for them.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 17:49 I like plot twists, but I don't think this book would be one I would enjoy. The editing errors can be fixed. Thanks for the review.
Thank you so much for commenting.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

spluficvictory wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 05:01 I would love to know what Andrea did to get back at those men 😉 . Thanks for the review.
They were properly traumatized :wink:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 16:10 Oh, I need to read this just to find out about Andrea's plan! These boys were too blind to realize who they were messing with. I loved your review. Thanks for this compelling review.
Thank you so much for stopping by.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Meg98 wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 21:32 This sounds like a captivating read... your review has intrigued me! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Cheers:)
Thank you for stopping by. :)
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Adedayo+23 wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 10:16
spluficvictory wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 05:01 I would love to know what Andrea did to get back at those men 😉 . Thanks for the review.
They were properly traumatized :wink:
I'm sure :lol2:
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”