Official Review: The Inferiority Complex by Ryan Degg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Official Review: The Inferiority Complex by Ryan Degg

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Inferiority Complex" by Ryan Degg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Inferiority Complex by Ryan Degg is a superbly, splendid, suspenseful page-turner.

This book consists of 84 short chapters where the reader has the opportunity to get both sides of the story in first person, that of the serial killer, as well as the detective working the case. Having access to the inner most thoughts of both good and bad, creates a unique perspective for the reader, and it makes this book an undeniably exhilarating read.

After a life of feeling inferior, TJ meets Angel, the girl of his dreams. She gives him the strength to transform into, what he believes to be, a superior man. He sets out to rid the city of evil, but he is fuelled by a troubling past, and his mind is twisted. He targets a single prominent individual…

Detective Imogen Carter has decided to leave the force to take care of her mental health, and spend more time with her sister, but not before finishing off her last case, which turns out to be a serial killer on a mission. Her partner, Jamie, appears to have a crush on her, but Imogen does not seem to notice.

Degg has done a tremendous job with character building. He expertly switches views between the main characters (and occasionally a supporting character), and provides a full perspective to the reader as the story unfolds. I was never confused about who was talking or where they were, and even thought you are aware of both sides of the story, the author still manages to surprise you with perfectly placed plot twists and suspenseful close encounters.

I loved the conversational writing style. The book was completely captivating from start to finish. I could easily imagine the character’s facial expressions, emotions and reactions, as well as the scenes. The details are subtle, but creates a masterful backdrop for the story to play out smoothly.

Due to the violence, profanity and sexual content in this book, I would not recommend it to a younger audience. Readers that are sensitive to subject matter like murder, rape, necrophilia and suicide, should avoid this book entirely. However, if you want to read a book that keeps you hovering on the edge of your seat, this book is definitely the one for you.

This book deserves nothing less than a solid 4 out of 4 stars. I only encountered a few minor spacing and spelling issues, but certainly not enough to distract me from a tremendous piece of literature.

The Inferiority Complex
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Thanks for your review. This sounds like a must read for a mystery fan like myself!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Allowing the reader to hear and see the killers thoughts is captivating but terrifying. With the graphic nature of the story, I don't think I could handle it. This that like this thriller genre should go for it, though. Glad it was to your liking!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”