Official Review: A Trail of Blood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: A Trail of Blood

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Trail of Blood" by Peter Goldman with Nicola Malatesta, PI.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The magnificent Sophie Guichard was once a ravishing and irresistible star, a screen goddess, and the toast of two continents. Now in her sixties, alone in her grand villa on the French Riviera, and desperately trying to hang on to her glory days, she takes on younger men as lovers. Her latest beau is Tony Orsini, a smooth-talking stranger less than half her age who claims to be trying to float a start-up investment business. Sophie falls hard and fast for him. However, Tony Orsini – real name Antone Tomasi – is really a pimp with ties to the mob. He dreams of building a chain of sex clubs, starting in Miami's South Beach party scene. He spends arbitrary weekends in Sophie's bed and departs with large checks from her fortune.

Out of desperation, Sophie's son, J-J, hires two American private investigators, Max Christian and Nick Testa. He wants them to bring him evidence of Tony's real start-up business; a brothel and call-girl service already operating out of Miami. J-J also wants proof of Tony's real life with his young and even more ambitious partner, Paulette Guyot. Upon presenting their findings to Sophie, she stubbornly refuses to believe the audio and visual evidence laid before her. What will it take for her to see the light? What happens when Tony finds out? Will J-J ultimately have to pay for Sophie's foolishness?

A Trail of Blood (From the Case Files of Max Christian, PI Book 4) is a brilliantly executed work of fiction. It was written by Peter Goldman with Nicola Malatesta, PI. I was thoroughly impressed with the originality of the plot. The writing was impeccable and flowed well, while the dialogue was authentic and witty without being cliché. Although there was enough foul language to make a Nun blush, it was not out of place with the general theme of the book and did not detract from the quality of the story. The book was a fast-paced, action-packed easy read with dry humor woven in for good effect.

There were several high points for me in this book. The character development was superb. None of the characters appeared out of place. They each served a unique purpose, with adequate backstories for their motives to be understood. Sophie Guichard was French, and I appreciated how the language was incorporated into the story without requiring any tedious translation. The French words or phrases used were easily understood. My favorite character was Dani. She was Nick Testa's apprentice and goddaughter. Without trying too hard, she proved to be just as adept at sleuthing and as tough as the guys. Despite being the youngest of the bunch and the one with the least experience at dealing with bad guys, she held her own quite nicely.

Another favorite for me was the portrayal of Max's failing marriage with his wife, the cause of which was steeped in relatable reasoning. Max's wife, Meridew, was dissatisfied with their relationship due to a lack of identity on her part. Max's PI business was the very essence of his being, and she grew tired of competing with his work for his attention. Meridew believed the survival of their marriage depended on her finding her own identity. For her, that meant going away to find something she could be just as passionate about - the way Max was with his work.

Additionally, I was quite impressed with how realistic Sophie's character evolution was written. She came to terms with who she was, recognizing that she had been holding on to an illusion. She freed herself of all pretences and, in so doing, realized that she no longer needed the affirmation of sex with younger men to nourish her sense of self.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. The only part I found a little confusing was Max's interaction with one Albert Camus character. I can only assume Albert was a cross-over character from one of the earlier books in the series. As Albert's role in this book was minute, his appearance was not remarkable enough to detract from the story.

The book appeared professionally edited with little to no grammatical or typographical errors. I wholeheartedly rate A Trail of Blood 4 out 4 stars. This book is perfect for readers of fast-paced crime thrillers. The book had me hooked from start to finish, and I couldn't put it down. I eagerly look forward to checking out the other books in the series.

A Trail of Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Sounds like a nice thriller I would like to read. Your review is very insightful and informative.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can tell already that Tony is just trying to take advantage of Sophie. I hope she realizes her value now and stops trying to relive her glory days. I don't think I'd enjoy the book, but you've made it sound great.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I love a good mystery. This book may be a good rainy day read. I will add it to my list.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

That's, um, a lot to take in all at once. I'm not sure what to comment on first. I mean, there's Dophies choice of lovers, Max's marriage, the fact that there's a character named Albert Camus...

I think it's best I just go run and read thd book because this is all just fascinating. Absolutely fascinating.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Everything about this book looks positive! Sophie's reaction of letting her heart rule over her head opens the door to an interesting twist. Great review. Thanks for the recommendation.
mddodgen
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mddodgen.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by mddodgen »

As I read your review, I was captivated by the plot. I have to say your storytelling skills are excellent. I am going to put this book on the top of my list, just by your review alone! Thank you. :D
Hailee_Robbins50
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hailee_Robbins50 »

Tony already wants to take advantage of Sophia. But the book seems like a very interesting book to read. One that would keep me on the edge of my seat maybe read the whole book in one day kind of read
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

MrunalT wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 06:20 Sounds like a nice thriller I would like to read. Your review is very insightful and informative.
Thank you very much. Hope you enjoy it too.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 12:42 I can tell already that Tony is just trying to take advantage of Sophie. I hope she realizes her value now and stops trying to relive her glory days. I don't think I'd enjoy the book, but you've made it sound great.
Thank you so much for stopping by.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Miller56 wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 15:18 Thanks for the review. I love a good mystery. This book may be a good rainy day read. I will add it to my list.
You won't be disappointed.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 00:52 That's, um, a lot to take in all at once. I'm not sure what to comment on first. I mean, there's Dophies choice of lovers, Max's marriage, the fact that there's a character named Albert Camus...

I think it's best I just go run and read thd book because this is all just fascinating. Absolutely fascinating.
You're sure to enjoy it, I'm certain.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

kdstrack wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 23:16 Everything about this book looks positive! Sophie's reaction of letting her heart rule over her head opens the door to an interesting twist. Great review. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thank you very much for stopping by.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

mddodgen wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 10:38 As I read your review, I was captivated by the plot. I have to say your storytelling skills are excellent. I am going to put this book on the top of my list, just by your review alone! Thank you. :D
Thank you so much for your kind words! :D
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Hailee_Robbins50 wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 21:39 Tony already wants to take advantage of Sophia. But the book seems like a very interesting book to read. One that would keep me on the edge of my seat maybe read the whole book in one day kind of read
It really is a good one, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”