Official Review: The Chosen Ones: The Conspiracy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: The Chosen Ones: The Conspiracy

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Chosen Ones: The Conspiracy" by Michelle Reid.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Chosen Ones: The Conspiracy: A New World Order by Michelle Reid is a work of fiction that takes readers on a whirlwind journey filled with conspiracies, magic, drama, and betrayal with hints of romance.

According to the author, the story shared in this novel is inspired by actual events and meant to help those who’d otherwise find themselves as victims of stalking, drugging, human trafficking, etc. The book aims to inform readers of some of the tactics used to lure in victims. The book also educates readers on what to do when they find themselves in such vulnerable positions. I liked that in addition to informing readers on what to look out for, the author also provided details on where to get help and information for those who may be dealing with any of the issues discussed in the book.

Growing up, Chantelle always knew she was different. Her premonitions and ability to perceive other worlds and communicate with beings from other dimensions made her a target for those with devious intentions. What’s worse, her super abilities isolated and deterred her from forming any genuine bonds with those supposed to love and protect her (that is, family and friends). When her only seemingly genuine childhood friend, Karen, moved to another city, Chantelle was once again left alone to figure out things on her own. After graduation, Chantelle’s visit to New Orleans to see Karen turned into an indefinite stay when she felt a welcoming kinship and sense of rekindled sisterhood. However, unbeknownst to her, some of her darkest days and experiences were about to be unleashed. Nothing is as it seems in the enchanting city. No one is who they say they are. When Chantelle finds herself pulled into the disturbing and undercover operations in the city, who will she turn to? Will Chantelle make it out alive with her sanity despite the information she uncovers?

Based on the cover and book description, I expected this novel to be an exciting, thrilling read from beginning to end. However, I was rather disappointed by the author’s bland writing style. Michelle Reid’s writing style was all ‘tell’ and no ‘show’. From the first page to the last, the author told the story with minimal dialogue. On top of that, the weak dialogues were punctuated with lengthy dialogue tags that told the characters' actions and emotions.

Another issue I should note is that Reid would painstakingly tell every little detail, including mundane activities the characters did, that had no bearing to the main plot or added any value to the characters. It seemed the novel could have been shortened by several pages if the unnecessary fluff was taken out by a professional editor. Additionally, the author continually beats the reader over the head by repeating information previously shared.

What could have been an interesting storyline was further let down by the lack of suspense and action due to the writing style. The book itself wasn’t lengthy, but the pace and all the other issues mentioned affected my reading experience, so much that I struggled to get to the last page. In addition, there were numerous errors throughout the book, such as inserting parts of the narration in quotes, as well as using “noisy” instead of “nosey,” “luck” in place of “look,” etc.

The talk of magic and Chantelle’s abilities were exciting to read about, and I would have liked to see that aspect of the story explored more. This being the first book in the series, the main conflict of the story does not get solved in this novel. Thus, those who have a preference for books that don’t end in cliffhangers/loose ends might want to stay clear. There is mention of mature content, but no vivid details. Because I did not enjoy the book as it currently is, I cannot recommend this book until it’s revised. Therefore, I rate this novel 2 out of 4 stars.

The Chosen Ones: The Conspiracy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While it does sound like an exciting premise, it is too bad that the author invested too much time in irrelevant details--that is always a shame. Thanks for providing an in-depth and honest review!
ValerijaJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerijaj.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by ValerijaJ »

Too bad the author didn't try to develop the story a bit better. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A book really drags when the author tells instead of showing. I'm not a fan of books like that. I think I'll pass on this one, but I do appreciate your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

After reading the beginning of your review, I was hoping for a higher score! The author's premise sounds intriguing. Hopefully it will be fixed to help it reach its potential. I enjoyed your insights about this book/series. Thanks.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”