Official Review: The Moonshadow Effect by Robert de Casares

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: The Moonshadow Effect by Robert de Casares

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Moonshadow Effect" by Robert de Casares.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Moonshadow Effect by Robert de Casares is a fast-paced, action-packed, futuristic spy thriller that takes you on an exhilarating ride with protagonist Max Dacre. The story is set in the near future with the world fighting a losing battle against mother nature. Tsunamis, melting ice caps, and rising sea levels are wreaking havoc on different towns and cities all over the world. Nowhere is safe. Despite the mounting evidence of a global crisis, world leaders continue to connive and justify their lust for unlimited and unrestricted power. MI6 operative Max Dacre finds himself caught between love and duty. Will he take a stand and serve his country, or will he follow his heart?

The book’s unforgettable opening sequence read like something out of a James Bond novel. The writing was witty yet precise, eliciting the desired reaction from the reader: an edge-of-your-seat experience. The author deftly maintained the suspense level throughout the book. While the climate issue remained a constant backdrop, it did not overshadow the plot’s main focus which was the duplicitous nature of spycraft. In Robert’s fictitious world, there is no clear cut good or bad guy - only self-interest rules.

I particularly appreciate how the author adapted world events – past and present – from real life into the fictional elements of the book. The author used the 2014 Ukraine uprising, Brexit, the Skripal poisoning in 2018, even Trump’s use of social media to mislead and misinform the masses; as well as other real events in putting together this thrilling story. The result is a highly realistic plot with an almost prophetic feel that keeps the reader intrigued from start to finish.

Additionally, all the significant characters in the book were well-developed and adequately fleshed out. This ensured that the reader understood their motives clearly. One of the most memorable characters for me was Cyril, the transvestite assassin. His uncanny talent to transform himself into a woman to carry out his missions made him a formidable figure. With chameleon-like ease, he became Lisa, an undeniably stunning and charming blonde knockout.

Some parts of the story stood out for me as being a little problematic. First, despite Max Dacre’s comprehensive backstory, his character still felt somewhat two-dimensional. His skill as a superb operative was undeniable, but apart from that, you don’t really know the man. His unpredictability and apparent lack of depth made him unrelatable.

Secondly, we know next to nothing about Max’s ad hoc girlfriend, Saskia. Besides having no backstory, there’s no mention of what she does for a living, how they met, or how long they’ve been together. Also, Max bedded women indiscriminately whenever the opportunity presented itself. Yet, he suddenly decides he loves Saskia and wants to marry her. The move from a sometime girlfriend to fiancé seemed rather abrupt and a bit unrealistic. Had their relationship been fully developed, his proposal would not have appeared out of place. The plot’s love story was not as convincing as the espionage story.

There were also a few editing flaws, but these did not detract from the overall quality of the book. Apart from a few grammatical errors, overuse of the colon and one blank page in the middle of the book, The Moonshadow Effect appeared professionally edited. If you enjoy action-packed books about spycraft and politics, you’ll enjoy this book. I would also recommend the book to climate-fiction readers. I rate The Moonshadow Effect 3 out of 4 stars. As much as I would love to give it 4 stars, I must factor in the issues mentioned above. The author delivered a superb work of fiction, and I look forward to reading more of his books.

The Moonshadow Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

When you started to describe the book it occurred to me that it might be based on real-life events. I enjoy when an author builds on things that have already happened, I feel like it gives the story a stronger foundation. It's a shame that Max's backstory wasn't presented in detail. I would find some fault in that as well. The backstory is what make the characters for me. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I like the book's premise; climate change and how humans are losing battle on its effects. Also, I like the fact the book's plot is highly realistic and has an almost prophetic feel that keeps the reader intrigued from start to finish. This excellent review has piqued my interest in this novel, and I can't wait to read it! Thank for sharing!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a unique read, but I'm not sure about the lack of detail with some of the characters as you mentioned. That is usually something I look for... thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
ValerijaJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerijaj.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by ValerijaJ »

I like how the back story of the book is about climate change, but it also has a separate narrative to it. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!
sunmuth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunmuth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by sunmuth »

I don't think I've read a thriller before that was quite so colored by current events, so I might give this book a read!
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for the review. The Moonshadow Effect sounds like a good read. It is too bad about the romantic sub-plot not being as engaging as the spycraft. I agree with @Letora, building on actual events does cement novels in a strong foundation. I think the character background helps keep me engaged in novels, along with a great plot. Thank you for the recommendation.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Sounds like an interesting read! The Cyril/Lisa is unique. I've never read a book with such a character!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Climate change is certainly a pressing issue and bringing it to fore in a spy novel? That's an interesting approach. The use of real life events makes it more so since this sounds a bit higher concept than your average Jack Reacher and company. Pity about the characters though, because it sounds like it has potential.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A spy novel that features James Bond-like action coupled with havoc caused by extreme climate sounds exciting. There are some weaknesses, but the main plot that involves spying looks intriguing. I enjoyed your description of this book. Great review!
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Letora wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 04:34 When you started to describe the book it occurred to me that it might be based on real-life events. I enjoy when an author builds on things that have already happened, I feel like it gives the story a stronger foundation. It's a shame that Max's backstory wasn't presented in detail. I would find some fault in that as well. The backstory is what make the characters for me. Great review!
You're certainly right about the foundation. Thank you so much for stopping by :)
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Fazzier wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 07:20 I like the book's premise; climate change and how humans are losing battle on its effects. Also, I like the fact the book's plot is highly realistic and has an almost prophetic feel that keeps the reader intrigued from start to finish. This excellent review has piqued my interest in this novel, and I can't wait to read it! Thank for sharing!
Thank you very much for your kind words :)
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Meg98 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 11:06 This sounds like a unique read, but I'm not sure about the lack of detail with some of the characters as you mentioned. That is usually something I look for... thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Thanks a lot for stopping by!
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

ValerijaJ wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 14:27 I like how the back story of the book is about climate change, but it also has a separate narrative to it. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for stopping by :)
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

sunmuth wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 16:08 I don't think I've read a thriller before that was quite so colored by current events, so I might give this book a read!
It's worth checking out. Thank you for commenting.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”