Official Review: The Isotoner Ordeal by Christopher Leibig

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Official Review: The Isotoner Ordeal by Christopher Leibig

Post by lavellan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Isotoner Ordeal" by Christopher Leibig.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Not many people have the unfortunate luck of being involved in two murder cases. Out of that lot, a minuscule fraction has been involved as both the defendant and the attorney. David Stillman has the misfortune of falling into the latter group. When David was fifteen years old, he was put on trial for the murder of Isotoner, a man whom David and his friends terrorized. We first encounter David reminiscing and drinking his sorrows away at a bar. Here, he encounters Michaela, a beautiful woman who is having legal trouble of her own. David enters a confessional-like dialogue with her, revealing all the sordid details of his childhood and the events that took place before and after Isotoner was murdered. Christopher Leibig’s The Isotoner Ordeal takes the reader on a journey through David’s life and ultimately aims to answer the question everyone is wondering about; who killed Isotoner?

Leibig did an amazing job of crafting a story that had me engrossed from the start. I was curious to find out how David was involved in two separate murder cases as both the defendant and the defense attorney. I could vividly feel the guilt he still experienced despite the trial taking place so long ago. Additionally, I enjoyed the flashback style of narration Leibig used to tell David’s story. The flashbacks were presented well and allowed me to experience the events leading up to and after Isotoner’s murder firsthand. This method also allowed for the reader to see how David and his friends were progressively getting out of hand. What started off as petty crimes done in the night became full-blown operations. For instance, Barney, the leader of David’s friend group, led them on a raid on Country Curve Road, which they kindly referred to as “Midgetville” due to the little people that were rumored to live there. Their behavior made it just a matter of time before they ended up in serious legal trouble.

There was very little that I disliked about The Isotoner Ordeal. The main thing that bothered me was the lack of introduction for some of the characters. Sometimes, Leibig would mention a character by name in passing without describing them. This led to me flipping back and trying to figure out if I had overlooked this character. One instance is the following phrase: “…and although Sydney and I were…” Before this, Sydney was never mentioned, so I had no idea what her relation was to David. After reading a little further, I was able to find out that Sydney was his sister. Lapses like this caused me some confusion, but, fortunately, they were resolved relatively quickly.

Unfortunately, the novel contained errors. While they weren’t significant enough to detract from my enjoyment, they demonstrated that it would benefit from another round of editing. Most of them consisted of comma misplacement. For example, there were many instances of commas not being included before “and” when connecting two independent clauses.

I rate The Isotoner Ordeal 3 out of 4 stars. I felt like I connected with David and was invested in figuring out who killed Isotoner. However, the book did contain errors. Once these are corrected, it definitely deserves a perfect rating. The Isotoner Ordeal is best suited for readers who are interested in the legal system and enjoy character-driven novels. Sensitive audiences may be off put by the mentions of underage alcohol and drug use. There are also instances of violence against minorities, but this behavior is not glorified.

The Isotoner Ordeal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

This seems like an interesting crime story, although it is a pity that it has many errors, which again fortunately did not affect overall satisfaction!
Thank you for an amazing review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like an interesting premise with the main character being involved in the crime. It sounds like the mistakes he made in his younger days are starting to resurface. Thanks so much for your in-depth review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a fascinating story. It sounds like it could definitely benefit from another round of editing, though. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Thanks for your review. This sounds like an interesting story. I was curious about the name Isotoner.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

This book sounds interesting, but the lack of introduction of the characters would really annoy me. I've read books like that before and found it frustrating. Thanks for a great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your review has made me curious about David too! The author's excellent use of flashbacks and the intriguing premise would have me overlooking the errors. This looks good! Thanks.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”