Official Review: The Experiment on the Island of Angleland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: The Experiment on the Island of Angleland

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Experiment on the Island of Angleland" by Terry Ray.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If there were an opportunity to gain one million dollars, would you risk your life for it? Two very rich men, Alstaire Angle and his friend, McCallister Findley, came up with an idea for a real human research experiment called “Angleland” in the fictional book, The Experiment on the Island of Angleland (Book One) by Terry Ray. Twenty males and twenty females would be put on an island that the two millionaires purchased. There would be no laws on the island, no communication with the outside world, and no way to get off the island. The participants had to live on the island for ten years and never tell anyone any details of the experiment. At the end of the ten years, they would each receive one million dollars. The island had plenty of fresh water, fruit trees, fish, and food sources. Would you be willing to be a part of this experiment?

The 40 healthy participants were from different backgrounds, races, religions, and political views with different educational levels, skills, and training. The people chosen represented a diverse group that reflected society. I liked that there was a doctor, a nurse, military men, a farmer, a cook, a fisherman, and even a chemical engineer. These were but a few of the necessary talents needed to not only survive on the island but to flourish.

I enjoyed best how the people had to organize and get things done in the beginning just to be able to eat and have shelter. I also liked that people developed comforts and crafted conveniences and businesses to establish themselves and to live as comfortably as possible. This made me think about how society forms.

The main characters Spider, Hawkeye, and Ed were described well and had military and police training backgrounds. Some of the women were portrayed as weak, divisive, and lazy, while others had helpful skills, worked hard, and were brave. The author did a good job of describing many of the characters.

Just when I was getting comfortable in reading about the experiment, terrible violence happened and the islanders were at war. The war itself would interest many people, as Spider and Hawkeye had to strategize attacks, but what I disliked the most were the atrocities that happened and the twists that occurred. Of course, one would expect some violence would happen on such a secluded island with no laws and no repercussions, but this was a nightmare.

If you are not bothered reading about extreme violence, this book may be for you. People who are interested in sociology and human behavior may want to read this book, as it is full of believable behaviors and situations. However, if you are sensitive to any type of violence, i.e. killings, rape, torture, etc. and do not like the tearing down of some Muslim beliefs, you will want to steer clear of this book.

I rate The Experiment on the Island of Angleland by Terry Ray 2 out of 4 stars. One star was deducted because of the more than ten errors found and the need for editing. Another star was deducted because I felt that the violence was over the top and the interrogation techniques were cruel, which ruined the book for me. However, if I could rate it a 2.5-star rating, I would because the storyline was exciting, intense, and full of intrigue, as I wondered how the people on the island would form into a community and live peacefully with each other. The author wrote extremely well with good character developments and descriptions of the island and situations.

The Experiment on the Island of Angleland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I would have liked to read this book, but violence of any kind turns me off. Thanks anyway.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

The initial premise of this book sounds promising, but I agree with the above commenter that the extremely violent content would put me off of reading this one. But thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review. Although this one sounds very interesting, I will pass on it, due to the warnings. I can't enjoy over the top violence much. That experiment portion sounds interesting, but I don't see how a settlement could be established with little businesses and there not be even the burgeoning of laws ( if that makes sense.) Thank you for the recommendation.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I like the premise and uniqueness of this book, but it is a shame about the editing. It probably would have benefitted from another round of proofreading. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

Thanks for such a detailed review. At first it seemed like just my type of thing. I'm a behavioralist and love this kind of story of how people build a society. However, I'm also a Christian and I am glad you took the time to actually described what type of violence took place. Just people fighting and killing would be something most readers would even expect in that situation, but I think there is a better way to use my time to "study" these things.
Thanks for keeping ALL the potential readers in mind when doing your reviews.
Sincerely, Laura,-Lee
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

While I like the idea, I'm not one for extremely violent books. An appropriate amount is okay. The errors, too, are a shame. Thank you for your review! I don't think I'll be reading this book.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

The storyline is interesting and the book sounds intriguing, but the level of violence seems to be too much.
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

The book has a very unique and interesting plotline. Unfortunately, spelling errors are something I could never tolerate when reading a novel so I probably won't add it to my reading list. Thanks for the great review!
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

I've never read a book of this type before, it does seem interesting but I feel that the errors would ruin my reading experience so I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”