Official Review: The Monster by Josh Soule

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: The Monster by Josh Soule

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Monster" by Josh Soule.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Monster is a modern-day thriller/horror story written and self-published by Josh Soule in January 2019. Featuring a nameless narrator, the story follows a male college student through what can only be explained as a significant series of bad luck. As someone who mainly stays to himself, the narrator has only a few close relationships with others, of which quickly become severed after an incident at a Halloween party where the narrator is blamed for an attack that he witnessed by who he refers to as "The Puppet Man". Although easily blamed as the assailant due to his hot-headed nature and extreme jealously concerning his recently ended relationship, it's exciting to witness the story unfolding from the protagonist's viewpoint.

With strained relationships with his ex-girlfriend, Kelly, his friend, Tony, and his mother, the narrator sees no one to turn to in an attempt to get away from the accusation. With no one to back his story, the narrator decides to flee rather than face consequences, which start to come in a fast sequence following what seems to be a chance of wrong time, wrong place. With "The Puppet Man" committing crimes regularly now and only the narrator left as the obvious assailant, time is running out for him to make a getaway before finding himself dead or in jail.

As far as character development goes, I wasn't able to feel much of a connection to the protagonist of the story. He seemed too willing to accept his assumed guilt and chose to flee rather than trying to explain what he saw in regards to the attacks by "The Puppet Man". The secondary characters, specifically Kelly and Tony, were not elaborated on as well as I typically like to see, but I did feel that this added to the mystery and was beneficial to this story.

As I experienced The Monster in the form of an audiobook, I'm unable to comment on the editing of the story, however, the narration was very well done and seemed to captivate the significance of dramatic scenes well. Although the story is a shorter read (or listen) at only 92 Kindle edition pages, the intensity level delivered was impeccable. The author does well with including adequate disturbing scenes, which seemed fitting for a thriller of this nature.

As a reader who avidly enjoys psychological thrillers and horror stories, I was particularly satisfied with the delivery of The Monster and am pleased to give a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. With no shortage of crime and occultism, The Monster is a read I would gladly recommend to any reader who enjoys the climactic build of a psychological thriller. This twisted thriller took me no time at all to become hooked in, which is something I specifically look for in a story in this genre.

The Monster
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't usually read thriller or horror stories, but this one does sound interesting. I love that it's an audiobook. I'm glad that, even though the characters are somewhat shallow, that adds to the mystery of the book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 19:29 I don't usually read thriller or horror stories, but this one does sound interesting. I love that it's an audiobook. I'm glad that, even though the characters are somewhat shallow, that adds to the mystery of the book. Thanks.
Thank you for checking it out! This one was definitely one of the most interesting I've read lately. I recommended it to an owner of a local used bookstore here just a few days ago and he had actually just stumbled across it on Kindle Unlimited!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”