Official Review: Dawn of the Assassin by Bill Brewer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Official Review: Dawn of the Assassin by Bill Brewer

Post by lavellan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dawn of the Assassin" by Bill Brewer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most of us find hurting and, on the more extreme end, killing someone to be an unimaginable evil. However, some individuals make a living out of this, using the darker ends of the internet as their means of connection. David Diegert is one of those people. Dawn of the Assassin, written by Bill Brewer, follows David’s transformation into a decorated assassin. After his dishonorable discharge from the military, David finds himself out of options. He tried to get a fresh start as a bouncer at a bar, but this job gets him into hot water after he gets hired by the Russian mob to beat up a rival gang member. The man he hurt ends up getting killed, implicating David in a crime he did not commit. While he is laying low in a safe house, David is introduced to the world of assassins on the dark web. Unfortunately, the men at the safe house are not so kind, leading David to kill them in self-defense. This event leads him to take on a job as an assassin, changing his life forever.

The global nature of the book really drew me in. David travels to countries, such as Somalia and France, in his work as an assassin. It was enjoyable to see David interact with the global community and interact with a wide variety of people. David’s character also interested me. On the surface, he doesn’t seem too bothered by killing. Once we get to know him better, we learn that he is deeply affected by it, often resorting to crying as a means of releasing his emotions. This added a vulnerable aspect to him, something we don’t usually see in male characters. Another aspect of his character that was unique was his sense of justice. The reason why David gets a dishonorable charge is his disdain for a drug operation that was occurring in Afghanistan. His unit was involved in shipping opioids, something that disgusted David. This leads to him losing his temper and getting in a fight with his superior officer. This event perfectly illustrates the warring components of David’s personality: his integrity and his hot-temper.

There were a couple of things that I did not enjoy about the novel. One detail I noticed was that every man who was gay ended up harassing or hurting David in some way. For instance, the reason why David killed one of the men at the safe house was because he tried to rape him. This negative portrayal probably wasn’t intentional, but I think this issue could be rectified by including a few more LGBT+ characters in a positive light. The main issue I had with the novel was the uneven pacing. I enjoyed David’s development in the first half, but this section felt much longer than the second half. As a result, the middle and end of the book felt rushed.

Dawn of the Assassin contained errors. While they weren’t severe enough to detract from my enjoyment, they did indicate that the book still needs to undergo another round of editing. An example of an error I noticed was the use of “manned” instead of “maned” when referring to a lion.

I rate Dawn of the Assassin 3 out of 4 stars. While the novel was action-packed, the errors and rushed pacing prevent me from giving it a higher score. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy action and adventure. More sensitive readers may find the violence and sexual content to be off-putting.

Dawn of the Assassin
View: on Bookshelves
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Usually, I find violence of any kind off putting, but the plot sounds so fascinating I'm tempted to give the book a try. David seems like a multi-layered protagonist, and I love it.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

David definitely sounds like a well-developed character. It's not often you see a male character crying, especially an assassin. That aspect certainly adds depth to his other personality traits. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of David's personality. You highlighted some interesting facts about the attacks and the global nature of the book. I like the way you described this book. Thanks.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

You did a beautiful review and even though I do not think some elements of the plot would interest me; I think I pass this one. Nonetheless, thank you for the review.
kdevilbiss
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Fox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kdevilbiss »

I've read a lot of fantasy stories about assassins, but none set in modern times. This seems engaging and compelling, especially with his struggles with justice. Thanks for your review!
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

Im not usually into novels like this, but this one sounds pretty good, thanks for reviewing :D
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The story seems bloody and full of savagery. Definitely not my cup of tea. :mrgreen:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”