Official Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Devil in False Colors" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Devil in False Colors, written by Jack Winnick, begins with a vicious massacre that leaves five children dead at a Jewish preschool in an upscale suburb in California. The country and the world are shocked by what seems to be a hate crime perpetrated by Arabic speaking terrorists. Israeli national Uri Levin, “one of the most famous of Mossad's assassins,” travels undercover (as Uri Cohen, a businessman) to aid Lara Edmond of the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force in the investigation. To spice things up, Uri and Lara have worked together and had a romantic involvement in the past, and this new investigation rekindles their feelings.

In my opinion, the geopolitical outlook is this novel’s best feature. Although it is a work of fiction, the author states that “it has strong ties to historical events that are not fiction,” and he does a great job of weaving these elements into the plot.

Some of the best passages in Devil in False Colors are related to pressing issues such as religiously motivated international terrorism, Iran’s nuclear threat, and Russia’s shady role in it. I enjoyed the author’s depiction of these historically and politically nuanced backgrounds. Winnick cleverly presents themes like the creation of the State of Israel, anti-Israel sentiment, and the prejudice against Jews. He also outlines the difference between Sunni and Shia Muslims, as well as some of Hezbollah’s underpinnings.

Additionally, I thought the characters were nicely developed, and I particularly liked Lara. This FBI agent who grew up in a farming community in Ohio is “fiercely independent and capable in every way, both physical and mental.” Among other skills, her mastery of computers helped build her reputation as one of the best resources to deal with threats to national security.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. However, due to a few politically charged points of view, it might displease some readers with controversial remarks like the following: “Liberal elements in society had pushed through legislation that brought much of the data-gathering to a close, tying the hands of the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force, the JTTF, while doing little to maintain privacy and security within the general population.”

Lastly, I give this novel 4 out of 4 stars. Overall, it is a well-written and well-edited book; I only found minor punctuation and hyphenation errors. It was an enjoyable and fast read that I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys thrillers with a touch of international affairs. There was nothing I disliked about it.

Devil in False Colors
View: on Bookshelves
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

I like the fact that the author also tacked some issues like religiously motivated international terrorism, Iran’s nuclear threat, and Russia’s role all of which are related to terrorism in one way or the other. The world has already lost too many lives as a result of terrorism and in some instances, lives have never been the same again as a result of terrorist attacks. How do we get a long-lasting solution??
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like an event that could happen. I'm not sure it was necessary to include such politically charged statements. It would appeal to a wider audience without that. It still sounds interesting, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

The book sounds fascinating, but the storyline is not one I'm interested in. Thanks.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

It sounds like the book has everything, action, history and religion. Amazing review.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

A amazing review. The plot is really good. It is full of action and suspence. A book i would definitely reads
Purti10
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purti10.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Purti10 »

The storyline of this book is fascinating.I enjoy reading suspense and thriller books, and this is on my list now.Thanks for the review!
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

looking at the book at first, i didn't think its my type but after reading your great review i changed my mind. This is now a must read for me, thanks to you...and the author of course.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Religion-based terrorism is an unfortunate reality. The events mentioned in the book, even though fictional, very much sound like real possibilities. Such books often run a risk of hurting some religious sentiments, but the topics are nevertheless worth discussing. Your review is very thoughtful and insightful.
Toya1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toya1.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Toya1 »

I was turned off by the title of this book to be honest. However, having read your review, I was reminded to 'never judge a book by its cover'. Thanks for such a good review.
Nizar Muhammad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nizar Muhammad »

The way it is reviewed portrays almost everything about the Novel, in-spite the author is well aware of the geopolitics but is following one sided agenda by giving sympathy to one of the two rivals of the today's war, an author should be a neutral person,
Thanks! for the review..
klee8988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klee8988.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by klee8988 »

I appreciate your review. Being a very new reviewer here, I noticed some categories you mentioned and went over that I have overlooked. A great learning experience for me and I definitely am interested in this book now.
Selina6969
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Selina6969 »

:techie-studyingbrown: I like how the author sit and explain what was going on and not just a half fast job like most books now a day. You will get so into it then it cut off. This was great
Lizzieitalia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzieitalia.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Lizzieitalia »

I like the idea of the author weaving in actual historical elements. Your use of quotes from the book helped create a well rounded review. Thanks!
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I read East Wind by Jack Winnick, which is the prequel to that book. I enjoyed it for the most part, but his strong political views definitely skewed the story in a way. Glad to know Lara and Uri rekindle their love!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”