Official Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Re: Featured Official Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by kelso9326 »

I love reading thrillers. I've never read one with our current political climate tied in though. I'm adding it to my to-read list. Great review.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I am puzzled by the scewed political viewpoint. I worked in government myself, and my co-workers and I were always a study in neutrality. Without exception. You got used to the pendulum of liberal vs conservative, and staying in the middle preserved your job.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The author's political stance is a bit of a turn off here but I'm glad rhat there is some nuance to his portrayal of Islam and the different sects. There's always a risk of dangerous generalisation so that's a good place to start.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
girly girl
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-girly-girl.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by girly girl »

Wow, your review made the book look really appealing. I will read on it some more but I'm 90% sure I will buy it.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Sounds like something I would definitely read. Your review is solid!
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This review is very solid and filled with the right amount of information. I am sure this is going to be a very hard book to put down. There is no place for hate or unjustified violence in this world kudos to the author for an amazing story and thanks for an outstanding review.
Jade_2451
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jade_2451 »

It is also to be noted that as a fellow Muslim, the concept of humanitarian views shared by people across religious and geopolitical borders is being shared here which I feel might be interesting to read.
Opeyemioladele9060
Currently Reading:

Post by Opeyemioladele9060 »

This definitely sounds like an event that could happen. I'm not sure it was necessary to include such politically charged statements. It would appeal to a wider audience without that. It still sounds interesting, though. To the writer
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

Religiously motivated international terrorism is a frightening thing but I am incapable of reading such horror stories. Your review was wonderful but I'll pass on this one.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Hari Omar

Post by Hari Omar »

I would say, it's because of only this book I experienced action, drama, history at the same time. The issues are described in such a way that it will bind you with the situation. My favorite character is Lara Edmond - FBI agent of this novel. I ordered novel form SapnaOnline and got it delivered in 1 day at my home. When I started reading
Devil in False Colors, I found it to be as another trivial novel but then I was so into it and found it so interesting. I think this is a must read for everyone.
Hellofeen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hellofeen.html
Latest Review: Rosemary's Beach House by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Hellofeen »

The reviewer has said it all. The book sounds very much interesting. I love anything that has to do with investigation. Thumbs up for the reviewer!
Soph H
Currently Reading: Oroszlánkórus
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soph-h.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Soph H »

The story seems to be containing multiple subjects and real life connections that most people don’ want to hear or talk about these days.That is precisely why it’s really important that we have books like these. I rarely ever read thrillers but this one made it to my to-read-list. Thanks for the great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book sounds quite involved; I think I would be a bit lost with the political issues, but the premise sounds interesting and terrifying. I like that the characters are well-developed and they work on a case where they try to bring down those responsible for committing such a horrific crime. Hope the victims and their families get the justice that they deserve. Thanks for the wonderful review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A thriller revolving around two agents investigating a terrorist attack on a Jewish preschool sounds intense. Nicely developed characters, important themes, and an exciting plot add to the thrill. That the book was well-edited is a plus. Not being PC isn't necessarily a bad thing. Religion-based terrorism is an existing reality, and one should not be afraid to speak up about it. Thank you and good luck!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kittent
Currently Reading: Paul, Big, and Small
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by kittent »

This book deals with current problems and historical events. I’m not sure I’d finish it, based on the first few chapters. It’s painful to read about that much hate and violence. I’ll have to think about it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”