Official Review: The Advancing Storm by Robert Valletta

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: The Advancing Storm by Robert Valletta

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Advancing Storm" by Robert Valletta.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lieutenant Danny Gallaher survives capture and torture by the North Koreans, barely escaping with his life. After being rescued by a friendly military patrol, Danny has a moment to recover before being called back to the US for a special assignment. Danny’s uncle, who holds a high-ranking position in the Department of Defense, assigns Danny to investigate a series of apparently unrelated yet suspicious suicides of scientists working on highly classified work in the defense field. One of those deaths was Danny’s father. When Danny’s brother followed some of the leads, he also became a victim of the murderer, proving just how dangerous the entire mission will be for Danny. As Danny delves into the mystery, he uncovers connections that were missed by the police and discovers a plot that could change the balance of power worldwide.

From the first few pages of The Advancing Storm by Richard Valletta, intrigue, excitement, and adventure fill the pages of the novel. Valletta keeps the action moving and allows the scenes to flow much the way a great action movie does. With plenty of action and mystery to piece together, readers will stay engaged throughout the story.

While the mysteries primarily surround Danny, other characters have the opportunity to become involved and become major players in the novel. One of the major components of the mystery appeared to be revealed very early in the story, which seemed odd at first. As the story progressed further, I found that Valletta used this early reveal combined with the additional characters quite well. With this technique, Valletta allows the readers to have just enough insight to know for whom to cheer. He also gives the reader just enough information to whet the appetite and keep things interesting without revealing the whole mystery.

Valletta’s fast-paced action also kept me engaged throughout the story. By switching scenes between chapters, Valletta created the feel of a movie as he wrote his novel. As with many action movies, there were a few scenes that seemed somewhat gratuitous to me. One of these in particular was when Danny sleeps with another character. Sadly, this scene had no real bearing on the story. The encounter neither helps nor hinders the progression of the mystery. I would have preferred to see something more come out of this scene or have it deleted entirely.

With strong pacing and an enjoyable storyline, Valletta’s novel earns a solid 3 out of 4 stars from me. Had all of the scenes felt more critical to the progression of the novel, I think I could have given this a perfect score. It was well-edited, exciting, and enjoyable. Readers that enjoy espionage thrillers or mysteries will likely enjoy this one as well. The mystery progressed at just the right rate to keep me interested and included enough action to keep the story exciting.

The Advancing Storm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

I got goosebumps just reading your review. Great job. Also, this is definitely a book I would love to read.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

What a captivating review, this is one of those books that I would love to read. I love movies and since the book creates the feel of a movie, I will definitely look out for the book. Thanks a lot for the insightful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wouldn't enjoy the gratuitous graphic scenes either. Still, I'm curious about why the scientists are being killed and staged as suicides. It sounds like an interesting premise. Thanks for all the information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This presents a unique situation - Danny has to investigate the deaths of his father and his brother. What an intriguing dilemma! I love how you present the conflict. This looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I'm curious about the early reveal in this book. That sounds like a fun way to get the book started. I enjoy fast-paced plots, so this sounds like a winner for me. Thanks for the warning about the gratuitous scenes; I'm not a huge fan myself, but I appreciate the heads-up. I enjoyed your review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I love a good thriller and this one seems very well thought out. I understand your point, some scenes are just uncalled for and interrupt the flow of the action but, overall, it seems like a great book. Thank you!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Seems like an exciting book, I'll definitely give it a try. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”