Official Review: The Trial of Connor Padget by Carl Roberts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Trial of Connor Padget by Carl Roberts

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Trial of Connor Padget" by Carl Roberts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set against the backdrop of the Southern charm and politics of Louisiana, The Trial of Connor Padget by Carl Roberts is a legal suspense involving friendship, betrayal, kidnapping, murder, and courtroom drama. Jack Carney isn't a criminal attorney, but when his friend, Connor, is charged with murder, he is determined to represent him, despite the objections of his prestigious law firm and wife. Jack's involvement in the case triggers memories of his covert military missions in Japan, and the trial becomes a catalyst for changes that will affect his future regardless of the verdict.

Since Jack and the viewing public witness Connor shooting his son's kidnapper on the news, the reader is privy to the fact that he is guilty from the first page of this captivating plot. However, it's the story behind the motive that draws the reader in and keeps the suspense engaging.

Roberts cleverly employs a multilayered plot to aid in the development of complex and relatable characters. Throughout the book, Jack's memories of his flying missions and crewmates in Japan provide insight into his loyalty as a friend to Connor. He reminisces about simpler times with his wife, Adrienne, giving the reader clarity regarding his lack of enthusiasm about her latest project. Roberts' portrayal of the developing friendship between Jack and Connor's son, Scot, is endearing.

I particularly like the moral questions Roberts poses through Connor's crime and the friendship between the two men. How far would you go to protect your child? Would you take the law into your own hands if someone threatened your family? Would you jeopardize your job or marriage to help a friend? While it may be easy to rattle off the "right" answers to these questions, Roberts' intricate plot challenges readers to put themselves in Connor's place and ponder how they might react in similar circumstances.

There isn't anything I disliked about the book. However, I noted a few instances of dialogues that I found unrealistic. When Jack is speaking to Scot about his parents, he sometimes refers to them by their first names. For example, instead of saying, "Your dad may not be coming home again for a good while," Roberts writes, "Connor may not be coming home again for a good while," which comes across unnatural when speaking to an eleven-year-old boy.

Even so, the minor inconsistency didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book. The editing is professional, and the instances of violence and sexual references are borderline and plot-related. However, there is some R-rated profanity. I'm pleased to rate this compelling legal suspense 4 out of 4 stars. The book will appeal to readers who enjoy legal thrillers and fans of John Grisham.

The Trial of Connor Padget
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I believe it's a parent's responsibility to protect their child(ren), and no good parent would standby and watch their child get hurt. That said, I'm rooting for Connor.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Michelle Fred wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 08:46 I believe it's a parent's responsibility to protect their child(ren), and no good parent would standby and watch their child get hurt. That said, I'm rooting for Connor.
I agree, and I think most parents will really connect with Connor. Thanks for commenting.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I still haven't read any of John Grisham's novels yet, but I'm intrigued by the genre. This book seems to really force the reader to pause and think about some serious questions, which I always find interesting. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Tomah wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 12:34 I still haven't read any of John Grisham's novels yet, but I'm intrigued by the genre. This book seems to really force the reader to pause and think about some serious questions, which I always find interesting. Thanks for the review!
Thank you, Tomah.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

A book a would love to read. The plot is veru captivating and intriguing. I loved the flashbck of war
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

From the review, I must say that this is a book worth reading. Thank you so much for the amazing review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

essyallan7475 wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 19:30 A book a would love to read. The plot is veru captivating and intriguing. I loved the flashbck of war
Thank you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

OuKoyoo wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 05:36 From the review, I must say that this is a book worth reading. Thank you so much for the amazing review.
Thanks for your comment.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Your review has intrigued me! I really like the plot you have described. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

In a world where true friendship is hard to find, it is refreshing to read a book that tells if one. Nice review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author piques the readers' interest by presenting some profound questions. I would be interested to see how he dealt with these issues in the book. Compelling review, Cecilia! Thanks.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Thanks for such a good review. Adding it to my “to read” shelf now!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Meg98 wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 17:32 Your review has intrigued me! I really like the plot you have described. Thanks for this great review!
Thank you, Meg.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Gathoni1991 wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 06:06 In a world where true friendship is hard to find, it is refreshing to read a book that tells if one. Nice review.
Thank you. :tiphat:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”