Official Review: Just Try Me by paxton quigley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Just Try Me by paxton quigley

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just Try Me" by paxton quigley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Justine had never been this frightened in her life. She’d just come this close to death, or something even worse. Hearing local policewoman Lisa Marshall tell her in confidence that the police cannot fully protect her is just the push she needs. Taking Lisa’s advice to learn advanced self-defense from one of the best teachers ever, thrill-seeking Justine embarks on what would prove to be the wildest and most dangerous adventure of her life. It also turns out to be the most fulfilling.

Just Try Me is a book that tells a thrilling, adventure-filled story while shedding light on the grave issue of human trafficking, particularly of women and children. Looking at the cover, one might think this would be another steamy kinky romance novel, something akin to Fifty Shades of Grey. That thought would be a grave mistake. Well, yes there are kinky scenes and romantic scenes, but this book is so much more than that. I was most impressed with the relevant storyline, with the way it exposes the subtle ways human trafficking is perpetuated hidden right in plain sight.

Paxton Quigley, the author, writes in easy-to-understand language. The text is logical and cohesive. The writing flows naturally and chronologically, devoid of any unsettling time gaps. This is a fast-paced thriller, and the action just keeps coming. Take note though, that this is not a book for very young or sensitive people. I recommend this book to everyone who considers themselves adults, are non-squeamish and are concerned about societal ills. You will be entertained. And lest I forget, do you love suspense? Then you are in the right boat.

The characters in this story are unique and relatable. Justine, thrill-seeking business woman stays true to character when she agrees to learn to defend herself better, instead of just hiring henchmen. On the opposite end of this spectrum is her mother Lise, a New York based fashion mogul who has two loyal henchmen -Eniko and Iya, ex-Russian sparrows turned dominatrices- to deal with those she considers enemies. And not to forget Danisha, Justine's Hollywood costume designer bestie, who has the seemingly perfect life complete with baby on the way.

Just Try Me has earned a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Dislikes? I have none. The story ends on a great note, but I can tell there’s another adventure waiting in the wings. And I can’t wait !

Just Try Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's nice that the author makes this more than a steamy romance. However, since that's part of it, it's not one I would enjoy. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Sounds really interesting. I love how well you wrote the review. It is exciting and it sounds like an informative book. Thank you for the review.
Eliese Doc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Eliese Doc »

At first glance I did think this be, as you put a 'steamy, kinky, romance novel'.
But after reading your review I think it will make for a really interesting read, especially as dealing with issues such as human trafficking. Thanks
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Your review of this book definitely makes me want to read it. Thank you!
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

🤣🤣🤣I too thought it's a romance novel. Great review. It must feel good to read that the book got a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I, also, was fooled by the cover! It makes me wonder why the author chose this illustration. I like how your read the leaders down the path of the different themes this novel presents. Great review!
BettyReader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BettyReader »

I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did, especially after seeing the cover. But a friend insisted I take it to the beach last week and I was surprised how well written and nuanced it is. It's also surprisingly witty, moves along very quickly, has a whole slew of every imaginable kind of sex scene (and a few unimaginable ones with whips and feathers), and after reading the first chapter I couldn't put it down. It has unique storyline – a beautiful young Silicon Valley cosmetics mogul gets attack in her own home and decides to do something about it by learning how to protect herself. But more than that I loved the theme of female empowerment; it's packed with strong female protagonists who refuse to be victims. Considering today's headlines and the new (finally) awareness brought to the public consciousness through the #metoo movement, it's also incredibly timely. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a great beach read, or just a really entertaining novel.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Wow, seems like the cover does little justice to the story... The story seems intriguing, and your review is very thorough. But, yeah, it is not the first time when the author chooses to go with this type of cover hoping for more buys...
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

The character Justine sounds very interesting and I like that the author has taken on the subject of human trafficking. A unique story. Thanks for your review.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

An erotic novel with a competently written action-packed plot involving sex trafficking as well as a badass female lead? It sounds much more interesting than I would've expected from a glance, especially with that cover. I don't know why authors sell themselves short with less-than-stellar covers instead of putting the time and money to get it right. Anyway, thanks for the review!
Dlhyppolite76
Currently Reading:

Post by Dlhyppolite76 »

Seems interesting I am going to read it
Telma12

Post by Telma12 »

Just try me sounds really interesting book and mysterios people will enjoy reading :D :D
Danmathews1

Post by Danmathews1 »

Top draw action.. fifty shades but women are in charge.. this summers best beach read
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Sounds like a delightful book. I'll give it a read. Thanks for your review, Supergirl1. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”