Official Review: Death Has a Thousand Doors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Death Has a Thousand Doors

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death Has a Thousand Doors" by Peter B Worland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine being trapped in a dark cave, climbing unexplored territory, and crossing treacherous chasms as you search for a way out. Now, imagine also having to escape from a trigger-happy trio blocking the cave's exit; this is the fate awaiting a group of college students in Death Has a Thousand Doors by Peter B. Worland.

Hal is not an experienced cave explorer, but he is infatuated with Maria, who persuades him to join the group for an adventurous weekend. At the cave's entrance, the group stumbles upon a homemade distillery, followed by a violent assault from the owners, resulting in the murders of two of their friends. As the survivors desperately hunt for another exit from the hazardous cave, they must contend with the loss of light, mudslides, steep inclines, food rationing, sickness, and growing discord among them. Pushed to their physical and emotional limits, they begin to doubt each other and themselves. Can they find the cave's exit before it's too late?

As you've probably surmised from the summary, this is not a light read for the faint of heart. Worland crafts such realistic descriptions of the tight spaces, all-encompassing darkness, and panic to survive, that I took breaks from reading to avoid feeling claustrophobic; never have I been so aware of reading a book from the safety and comfort of my cozy bed!

Given that the book is 244 pages, and the cave "adventure" begins in Chapter 3 and continues for nine more chapters, I applaud Worland for consistently maintaining such a suspenseful plot. Regarding character development, he masterfully conveys the frustration, fear, and exhaustion different characters experience over the course of the story.

The story is written in the first-person narrative from the perspective of Hal, and I particularly like his reflections in the preface and epilogue. Both sections are somewhat confessional, and Worland's portrayal of Hal's sorrow, guilt, regret, and love for Maria are powerfully emotive and relatable.

The editing was flawless, but the appearance of the book cover lacked creativity, which I found disappointing, given the overall appeal of the book. Although I read the Kindle format, if I were browsing in a bookstore, I most likely wouldn't give the current cover a second glance. In all other aspects of the book, Worland takes the reader on a suspenseful journey--why not begin the adventure with a more imaginative cover?

The cover art is the only thing I am able to highlight for improvement, but its absence did not detract from my reading pleasure. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy suspenseful adventures. However, I would caution readers who are sensitive regarding content involving violence, profanity, and rape.

Death Has a Thousand Doors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I love that the author masterfully conveyed the feelings of the characters and their reactions when pushed to the limit.

I'm not suprised they began to doubt each other, certain conditions can break even the strongest bond.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Michelle Fred wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 04:29 I love that the author masterfully conveyed the feelings of the characters and their reactions when pushed to the limit.

I'm not suprised they began to doubt each other, certain conditions can break even the strongest bond.
Thanks for your comment, Michelle.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I agree about the book cover but the prospect for an adventure pulls me in. Thanks for a wonderful review.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Novels about survival are great. People trying to survive can go from being normal, good kids to savage murderers over night, all for the sake of survival. That's when human nature comes out. There are no good guys or bad guys, only survivors. I appreciated your review. Thanks for posting.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wyland wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 06:34 I agree about the book cover but the prospect for an adventure pulls me in. Thanks for a wonderful review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

LinaMueller wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 08:02 Novels about survival are great. People trying to survive can go from being normal, good kids to savage murderers over night, all for the sake of survival. That's when human nature comes out. There are no good guys or bad guys, only survivors. I appreciated your review. Thanks for posting.
Thank you, Lina. :tiphat:
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

I think its amazing how impactful novels can be as a reader. The drama was so intense that you even had to manage your feelings and take breaks. Now thats a great page turner.
Thank you for an insightful review
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I was up there getting into that cave with you. Then I got to the part of you avoiding feeling claustrophobic. I considered my bed where most of my reading is done and decided to stick to your review for the time being. Excellent job on the review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have toured several caves but would not like to be lost in any of them! Emotions rise to the surface in these life-and-death situations and the author seems to play that to the hilt. Your review does an amazing job of bringing out the thrills that await readers in this book. Well done!!
sizzle
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sizzle.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by sizzle »

Talk about bad packaging for a great product, the cover looks drab to me too. I love it when an author is able to create so much suspense from a seemingly dead-end situation. Great review, it is going unto the shelf.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dee_218 wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 11:56 I think its amazing how impactful novels can be as a reader. The drama was so intense that you even had to manage your feelings and take breaks. Now thats a great page turner.
Thank you for an insightful review
Thank you, Dee. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Magnify3 wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 12:45 I was up there getting into that cave with you. Then I got to the part of you avoiding feeling claustrophobic. I considered my bed where most of my reading is done and decided to stick to your review for the time being. Excellent job on the review!
I understand--had I realized how much of the book takes place IN the cave, I might have reconsidered! I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 13:52 I have toured several caves but would not like to be lost in any of them! Emotions rise to the surface in these life-and-death situations and the author seems to play that to the hilt. Your review does an amazing job of bringing out the thrills that await readers in this book. Well done!!
You always leave the nicest comments. Thank you!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sizzle wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 15:56 Talk about bad packaging for a great product, the cover looks drab to me too. I love it when an author is able to create so much suspense from a seemingly dead-end situation. Great review, it is going unto the shelf.
Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”