Official Review: Death Has a Thousand Doors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
homelight
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Death Has a Thousand Doors

Post by homelight »

Family headaches abound on this mystery. Australian Jane Burns is a improving alcoholic with a troubled beyond. When she gets a letter inviting her to visit Andorra for the winding-up of her grandfather's multi-million dollar believe, she jumps at the possibility to leave at the back of her troubles and humdrum existence. She expects to live with her half sister, Pearl, a photograph journalist who moved to Andorra to get away an abusive marriage; but on her arrival Pearl is lacking with out starting with the founding of the family trust after the Second World War, and which include economic misdoings, kidnapping and tobacco-smuggling. Jane and Charles try and separate threads so as to lead them to Pearl from the ones which might be certainly the detritus of her day by day existence lifestyles as an investigative journalist.
Smrithy
Favorite Book: Enif
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithy.html
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Post by Smrithy »

Sounds like a good spelunking story. Hats off for the review.
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg
Valar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valar.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by Valar »

Thanks for the great review. It creates a curiosity to read the book.
" The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go" - Dr. Seuss
homelight
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by homelight »

Death has a Thousand Doors ticks all the containers as some distance as mystery novels move - a heroine with a bothered past, a missing person, romantic undertones among heroine and detective, clues that flummox, creepy those who become okay and regular individuals who emerge as creeps. A mystery novel does now not need to do plenty to maintain the pages turning, human curiosity to understand whodunit is enough. The writing is normal and the plot is regularly manipulated to deal with a romantic scene or try to throw the reader off-song.
The first-class I can say is - it isn't always horrible.
On the bright facet though, because the tale winds through the towns and the encircling mountainside, the panorama pops up on its pages. The characters zip through the towns and streets and deliver an perception of existence in Andorra, satisfactory known for being a tax haven. To its credit, the e-book brings this unknown region underneath the spotlight and for the 300-odd pages I find out the sector inside this speck.
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

Lovely review, sounds like an action packed tale indeed. That's interesting what you said about the cover art, I never would have thought of that since I buy most of my books online these days and don't pay attention to the covers. Great pointer, I'll keep that in mind from now on.
Erin
Currently Reading: Death Has a Thousand Doors
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin.html
Latest Review: Not 4 $ale by M.R. Biggs

Post by Erin »

Thank you for the great review. I am looking forward to reading the descriptions of the tight spaces and darkness, and finding out how those conditions affect those who are trapped.
Burnaard+42
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burnaard-42.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Burnaard+42 »

I like the story of these young friends and I wish to read the book and get to know who survives and who doesn't. Great review.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

You summary is so catchy. Seems to be a dark book, literally and metaphorically. I agree with your thoughts on the cover.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Being inside the dark cave, well it is seriously frightening. But the only thing left given the situations, is courage. Though depends on how long is the cave, it did not only break trust but courage too. The lesson, sometimes adventure is worth doing, but most often it's dangerous when not prepared both emotionally and physically. Nice review. Thanks.
mblmn_mortician
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mblmn-mortician.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by mblmn_mortician »

I love when a book is so visual and even visceral that the I have to take breaks while reading it. I'm a very visual person, and have quite an imagination, so I think I would feel like an adventurous spelunker if I were to read Death Has a Thousand Doors . Great review. Thank you.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”