Official Review: The Corpse Wore Stilettos

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Corpse Wore Stilettos

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Corpse Wore Stilettos" by MJ O’Neill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kat Waters' life has been turned upside down. She's gone from being a wealthy socialite to having to sell her Jimmy Choos for cash and working at a morgue to make ends meet, all because her father was arrested for supposedly having ties to the mob. To make things worse, a body is stolen from the morgue on her watch. Funnily enough, the body was that of a prostitute, but prostitutes don't usually wear brand-name shoes and pure gold necklaces. Kat's a hair's breadth away from losing her job, so she takes it upon herself to investigate the body-snatcher and the true identity of the supposed prostitute. She gets help from Burns McPhee, a former soldier who runs a security company on the surface but has no qualms breaking the law to get what he wants. Only someone who works at the morgue could have framed Kat's involvement in the body-snatching heist, so she and her hot, new love interest have to work together to investigate all of her coworkers. All the while, Kat wonders if this somehow is related to the mob and her father's sudden arrest...

I love stories about privileged women who get knocked down a peg in life and have to use the skills they have to survive. I expected Kat to loathe her job at the morgue, but she's a positive woman who is proud that her makeup skills earned by participating in multiple pageants are useful for preparing corpses for viewings. She's such an interesting and likable character, funny without laying on the socialite persona too thickly. In fact, all of the characters in The Corpse Wore Stilettos were quirky and interesting. Kat's grandma, Grand, was a real hoot.

The Corpse Wore Stilettos is MJ O'Neill's debut novel, and she did a wonderful job. I was hooked right from the start. Every time I thought I knew who was involved, a new piece of information would show up to implicate someone else and I would begin to doubt myself. There were so many good twists and turns, necessities in the mystery genre, but when I wasn't at the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next, I was snorting or chuckling at the comedy. O'Neill has a unique sense of humor that's as quirky as her characters.

Other than the points I have already mentioned, I was also impressed by the novel's pacing and how easy it was to get sucked in. It actually took me a while to get through because each time I stopped off, I had to make sure I had time in my schedule before I could continue as I knew it would be a while before I surfaced for air. In terms of editing, I found less than ten errors in the entire book, and most of those were minor punctuation errors. Overall, I have nothing but praise for The Corpse Wore Stilettos.

Obviously I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys comedic mysteries with strong and quirky female protagonists. I can guarantee that you'll find yourself rooting for Kat by the end of it. I personally cannot wait to read the next book in the series, as there are still a few mysteries Kat has left to solve. It is a light and funny read, nothing like the morgue it takes place in.

The Corpse Wore Stilettos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I never would have thought having great makeup skills would land someone a job at the morgue, but it makes sense. :eusa-think: I also love stories where people are knocked down and have to get back up again. Sounds like a good one to add to my list! Great review :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I love the cover! This sounds like an interesting read. Glad the main character was able to put her makeup skills to good use.
Kjorece99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kjorece99 »

This just shows what having good makeup skills can do for you. You can make a job for yourself without even knowing it.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The contrast of Kat going from a wealthy socialite to working in a morgue had me laughing! Some of the other characters sound like fun, too. This looks like a good author to read and follow. Thanks for this fun recommendation!
arshiya22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arshiya22.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by arshiya22 »

The positivism shown by Kat and she making the best of what she had left really caught my attention. Further more the review shed light on her character as funny and strong which makes me want to read the book even more.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Great review. Sounds like a good mystery story.
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

I like that Kat looks on the bright side of having to work in a mortuary. She sounds like a likeable person. Thank you for the review, I'm definitely going to try to read this book.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

MirageP wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 05:26 I like that Kat looks on the bright side of having to work in a mortuary. She sounds like a likeable person. Thank you for the review, I'm definitely going to try to read this book.
She was definitely a likeable person! I'd love to know what you think of the book if you get around to reading it. :D
c4bersg1rl
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl »

"The Corpse Wore Stilettos by MJ O'Neill is a quick paced mystery/thriller with humor sounds like a great read. I am glad that Kat is not a stuck-up type of person and can actually stand on her own without daddy's money. Sounds like the story is an attention grabber. Great review.
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. - Princess Diana
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I love that Kat is so positive about her job. A lot of people in her position wouldn't be, and that she's only one of the quirky, likable characters makes me want to actually read it. Thanks much!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”