Official Review: No Good Deed by Rosemary Reeve

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: No Good Deed by Rosemary Reeve

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Good Deed" by Rosemary Reeve.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

No Good Deed is the second book in the Jack Hart mystery series. The author, Rosemary Reeve, wrote this book more than twenty years ago. However, it is a scenario that could be pulled from today’s headlines.

Jack Hart and Harmony Piper are civil lawyers in Seattle, WA. Their best friend, Mark Oden, shows up on their doorstep weary and bruised. He is a police officer with some information that must stay private.

After his visit to Jack’s home, Mark is arrested for a brutal police-involved shooting. He is charged with the murder of his neighbor, Garrett Ryan. Jack and Harmony search all over Seattle for the best defense attorney. They find trouble on every corner while racial tension rocks the city, corruption is discovered in the Seattle Police Department and even Mark’s father seems to be against him. During the trial, things go from bad to worse and Jack and Harmony have to step in with their detective skills. When the situation seems out of their control, more unexpected events change the course of the trial. Will Jack and Harmony be able to save their best friend?

This story is fast-paced and enjoyable. Although I haven’t read the first book in the series, I was able to follow everything that was happening. The author referenced prior events throughout the story, therefore I was able to piece together anything I wasn’t clear about. The story was well-written and kept me intrigued the entire time. The author’s legal background is apparent throughout the details in this novel, especially during the trial scenes.

Jack, Harmony and Mark are likable characters that grew and developed throughout the story. The relationships and many connections Mark had within the police force and his father’s business were interesting and well-planned. I also enjoyed reading about a main character, Harmony, who was a strong, intelligent woman.

This book had many exciting twists that kept me engaged the entire time. I couldn’t find anything not to like about this one. The book appears to be professionally edited. I noticed only a few errors that did not detract from my enjoyment of the story.

Based on the above information, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is highly entertaining and will appeal to all fans of mystery and suspense. If you feel like additional information about the characters is important, I would suggest reading the first book in the series, All Good Things. If not, this book is great as a stand-alone novel. I look forward to reading the other books in this series.

No Good Deed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

This sounds like a great book for me. I love mystery and unexpected twists. I'm interested to know what Mark did...is it possible that his friends Jack and Harmony won't want to defend him?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's definitely enjoyable when there's a fierce woman starring in the story. This one does sound interesting. Thanks so much for the introduction.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Whatever Mark was accused of must have been pretty bad for even his father to turn against him. Sounds like a cool mystery that's going on here grounded in real world dynamics. Makes me wonder if Mark is being framed so that his information on the department becomes worthless in the long run.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by phills »

"No Good Deed" by Rosemary
This genre is a mystery about two detectives Jack Hart and Harmony who intend to end murder case of their friend "Mark" while they are on the lead they discovered that the case had a dead end
I like this story but I recommend it to amateur detectives to read and learn.. Thank you
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a unique and enjoyable story. I love fast-paced reads, so when you mentioned that it caught my interest. I think I will check this one out! Thanks for this great review.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This sounds like interesting read. I will add it to my TBR.
I love to read books with strong females in it. Good review!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think an author with a legal background writing a legal thriller is a good fit. Your high praise for the writing style and the character development draw me to this book and this series. Great writing! Thanks for the recommendation.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Legal thrillers I hesitate on because of the possible legal jargon I don't understand. I'm not sure the trial scenes would hold my attention. Thank you for the great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I like good mystery stories. They are even better when there is a strong woman character involved (my opinion of course). Thanks for the review.
ajbharrison
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by ajbharrison »

Thanks for the review. I would love to catch up on the other two series. I do love mysteries.
Chris Mangahas
Currently Reading: Anne of the Island
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-mangahas.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by Chris Mangahas »

Well I have read the first book. You can't get bored with because like what you've said, the way the author writes is fast paced. I haven't do a research about the Miss Reeves but then you mentioned that she has a legal background, she knows what she's writing.
WaiSan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WaiSan »

Thanks for the review. I definitely will find out more about this book!
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

It seems like Mark is in some kind of crisis, it is in times like these that loyalty is seriously tested.I am curious to know how far the couple would go in helping their friend. Legal tussles are also exciting , ill find time to read this one.Thanks for a great review.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Adebowale_Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebowale-gideon.html
Latest Review: All Good Things by Rosemary Reeve

Post by Adebowale_Gideon »

After reading the first book of the series I know that this one would not be an exception because rosemary reeves writes really well, I have not really researched her but you said she has a legal background, I guess that is why she is able to bring experience into her writing.
Thank you for your review, it was really nice

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”