Official Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Official Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat

Post by Mely918 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm Going to Kill that Cat" by F. Della Notte.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’m Going to Kill that Cat! by F. Della Notte is a modern-day murder mystery novel set in the church town of St. Francis de Sales in Austin, Texas. It centers on Father Melvyn and his housekeeper, Mrs. B. They grew accustomed to a quiet living. Neither predicted a dark deed to occur in such a safe and tranquil neighborhood. The pair soon find themselves thrust in a murder investigation. Determined to protect those they think are innocent, they fight against evil and greed in an attempt to help detectives solve the case.

The book opens on the day before Lent. Father Melvyn’s only concern is getting the church town prepared for the Lent season. The neighborhood is happily enjoying their meals on Fat Tuesday. However, an old feud between two women is seemingly starting to hit its breaking point. No one could’ve predicted that one of the women’s cats, named LaLa, would start a chain of events that threatens to tarnish the church’s reputation.

This book was a highly enjoyable read. It has a consistently fast pace to it, making it difficult to become bored of it. I found myself breezing through this book, especially when I got to the second half of it. I’m not usually a fan of whodunit novels. However, this book’s flow and writing style kept me intrigued all throughout. Additionally, the dialogue is very realistic and relatable. It made the characters seem like real people, which is always very important in a novel. Furthermore, Notte delved into the concept of how one may never fully know a person, no matter how close they may feel to them. This is a concept that isn’t often explored, yet is a universal truth. The author did a great job of tying all these pieces nicely through the whole story.

Despite all of its great qualities, there were still some areas of improvement. The book didn’t seem like it was thoroughly edited. It didn’t take me long to catch over ten errors. Most of these mistakes were either due to missing words or adding words that didn’t belong in the sentence. One example that occurred at the beginning of the book read, “Her thoughts turned elsewhere, and her heart skipped the in anticipation.” Another issue I had is that the characters weren’t as fleshed out as I would’ve liked. Some of their backstories felt rushed. I also felt underwhelmed with the culprit’s revelation. I would’ve preferred if the author kept its readers guessing until the end of the novel.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book had a nice flow and great character dialogue. Plus, it explored a concept that is not often analyzed. Additional editing and more time fleshing out some of the characters will help make this a stronger novel. I definitely recommend it to fans of mysteries, especially whodunit novels. I don’t believe it would be a good read for anyone who prefers stories with a slower pace to them.

I'm Going to Kill that Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mely918's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds interesting. It's too bad that the characters weren't quite as developed as they should have been, though. It sounds like one of those sleepy towns that you never see anything bad happening in. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Just the title had me laughing! Your review confirms that this would be an enjoyable read (even with the errors)! This one looks like fun. Thanks for the recommendation!
tirionmorganna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tirionmorganna.html
Latest Review: Confessions of a Manaholic by P. Pierre

Post by tirionmorganna »

Thanks for the great review, will deffo be picking this up.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The title caught my attention right away! After reading your review, I think this might be one I would enjoy. It's amazing how one action can set off so many more. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Maureen Refior
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maureen-refior.html
Latest Review: A Life Naive by Oliver Phipps

Post by Maureen Refior »

I clicked on your review because the title of the book had me rolling. I'm not a big fan of whodunnits either, but this one sounds like I might enjoy it, at least as a beach read. I'm going to put it on my "Want to Read" shelf and give it a whirl. Thanks!
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

So curiosity killed the cat? Love to know more about it. Thanks!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

The title is an awesome attention-getter. As much as I love my cats, there are times when they frustrate me so. I like the theme explored in this book because it is true. I'm looking forward to reading it, flaws included. Thanks for your great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I like whodunit novels. I also like cats. I can't imagine a nice furry innocent cat could be the reason for a chain of events. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”