Official Review: Sons of Waywould by Albert John Asaro

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Sons of Waywould by Albert John Asaro

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sons of Waywould" by Albert John Asaro.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sons of Waywould is a crime novel full of suspense. The book, written by Albert John Asaro, revolves around three brothers: Julian, Justin, and Lucius. There’s also a fourth, mysterious half-brother named Barnabas. They are born into a dysfunctional family, with an abusive father and a drug-addicted mother who are members of an evil organization – Waywould Youth of America – whose objective is to enslave and exploit boys. Posing as a phony charity, this organization uses brothels as hubs to lure vulnerable boys and initiate them into a life of vice.

Due to neglect and abuse, the brothers are separated and sent to foster care. But “they were damaged goods.” Julian and Lucius reunite and go back to their parent’s world of crime, suspecting that their brother is dead, for Justin changed his name to William. To perform his abominable misdeeds, Julian assumes an alternate personality called Darius. Hunted by law enforcement, the brothers delve deep into organized crime, with FBI’s agent Sandra Masterson – the lead detective on the case – on their tail.

The author successfully weaves supernatural elements in the plot. I found this to be a positive aspect. It’s almost as if the brothers are fantastic, non-human creatures, possessing strong yet morally ambivalent personalities. They display an unusual ability to perceive feelings and experience vivid, premonitory dreams. In some respects, they reminded me of iconic comic book characters, with their troublesome past, a long coma, memory lapses, split personas, and fuzzy identities. Even Sandra has psychic powers.

On the other hand, the characters and dialogues were not well developed. In my opinion, the author’s depiction of the brothers was somewhat shallow and stereotyped. Additionally, the novel is not for the faint-hearted. It’s a disconcerting parade of heinous rapes and murders, and I found the sexual exploitation of minors particularly disturbing. Also, graphic and vulgar accounts of sexual acts are frequent, as well as unsettling descriptions of abuse and assault. I believe the book would be much better without these unnecessary details.

Lastly, I found numerous editing errors in the book, which is far from its most polished form. For this reason, but most of all for the overly distasteful parts, I am taking two stars away from its rating. Therefore, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I believe it should appeal to readers who enjoy crime stories with a touch of magical elements. Those who are put off by sexual vulgarity might not like it as much.

Sons of Waywould
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mmm17's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I like that the author weaves supernatural elements in with an exciting story. However, the graphic content seems a bit too much to me. I think I'll pass on this one. Hopefully the author can take some of your criticisms to heart and make this great. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

I appreciate this review because I have read several crime stories previously, even some that were true, that contained details of sexual abuse details and the exploitation of minors, but knowing that the characters are not well developed and that they lack realistic conversations, it makes me wonder if this book isn't written more for shock value than storytelling. In addition to the poor editing, I find it disappointing because the supernatural aspect of this story intrigued me. I think I will pass on this book. Thank you for your thorough review!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that the story has an interesting premise, but that last comment about the sexual vulgarity changed my mind. You did an excellent job of presenting the story line. Great writing!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”