Official Review: Katseye by Harriet Redfern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Katseye by Harriet Redfern

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Katseye" by Harriet Redfern.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Katseye is the suspenseful mystery thriller and the second book in the Kat’s Gift Series created by Harriet Redfern.

The members of the Sampfield Manor’s household staff are, once again, in a state of agitation. James Sampfield Peveril, the refined and reserved squire of the manor, announces the imminent arrival of Ryan Urquhart, his cousin from Australia. Their apprehension, however, pales in comparison with how Merlin ap Rhys, the charismatic and talented Welsh jockey who rides star racehorse, Tabikat, feels. Someone is sending him incriminating videos and explicit still images that may jeopardize his relationship with Sadie. His attempt to uncover the origin of the photos takes him through the world of digitally altered images and at the other end of a murder investigation.

Meanwhile, James receives an unexpected call from the indomitable current owner of Katseye, another Irish racehorse and half-brother to Tabikat. Katseye is being sold to Arturo Ardizzone, an Italian aircraft manufacturer, who has recently appeared on the news concerning a terrible crash of one of his advanced aircraft.

This is an exciting and suspenseful continuation to the first book in the series. It has forty-one chapters and an epilogue, and is told in the third-person perspective. The plot is unraveled in consistently-steady pacing and is developed by introducing seemingly endless twists and turns that culminate in a satisfying ending. The shift from one subplot to another makes the story even more suspenseful.

Scenes and settings are described in vivid detail while the feelings and emotions of the characters are realistically portrayed. The addition of new characters, with their own fairly-elaborated backstories, makes the story more intriguing and the dialogues are natural and fitting for each character. The book drops numerous hints of an equally interesting and suspenseful third installment.

Needless to say, I enjoyed this book immensely. It features a multitude of themes including hatred, revenge, criminal activities, secrets, and a bit of yellow journalism.

The part I like most is the depiction of how computer, internet, and modern technology in general are being used for evil purposes such as digital alteration of photos, propagation of fake news, and character assassination through social media. The sad fact is, these things are becoming more and more common in real life.

However, other readers may find the multiple subplots a bit bothersome and the aviation jargon, though necessary in the story, may be quite confusing. Moreover, the use of vernacular requires careful and slow reading. Finally, there are noticeable errors within the entire book which include grammatical (just to good to be true instead of too good to be true and could not have take place instead of taken place) but are mostly typo errors (like Caldesi Island instead of Caladesi Island and Domink Katz instead of Dominik Katz).

Except for the errors, I love everything about this book. It is interesting and suspenseful. I, therefore, rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy suspense and thriller novels. It is, however, strongly recommended to read the series in proper order.

Katseye
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a well-written and entertaining book with great characters. It's unfortunate that there are so many grammar errors. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Horse racing, incriminating photos, someone from Australia and suspense? Sounds like quite the book. It's just too bad about the errors. It's such an easy thing to fix; it boggles me why more authors don't hire a proofreader. In any case, thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I think this book in one hand describes the dangers of technology and the Internet and the ways in which certain individuals can use these technologies for manipulation and mischief. Especially because of the fact that it is more and more present in the real world.
Thank you for an excellent review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This author has the knack of developing story lines and characters that keep readers invested in the series. I enjoyed the way you described the writing style with the steady buildup of suspense. This is a great recommendation. Thanks!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 08:49 This sounds like a well-written and entertaining book with great characters. It's unfortunate that there are so many grammar errors. Thanks for your review!
You're welcome! It's a great book despite the flaws.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 09:29 Horse racing, incriminating photos, someone from Australia and suspense? Sounds like quite the book. It's just too bad about the errors. It's such an easy thing to fix; it boggles me why more authors don't hire a proofreader. In any case, thanks for the review.
You're welcome. It's a great book and I enjoyed it a lot.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ivana7 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 09:52 I think this book in one hand describes the dangers of technology and the Internet and the ways in which certain individuals can use these technologies for manipulation and mischief. Especially because of the fact that it is more and more present in the real world.
Thank you for an excellent review!
You're welcome. I enjoyed reading the book as much as I enjoyed writing the review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kdstrack wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 10:30 This author has the knack of developing story lines and characters that keep readers invested in the series. I enjoyed the way you described the writing style with the steady buildup of suspense. This is a great recommendation. Thanks!
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the topics of deception captured by this suspense thriller. The characterization also seems quite well developed. Thanks for the review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Wyland wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 02:57 I like the topics of deception captured by this suspense thriller. The characterization also seems quite well developed. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. It's a great book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”