Official Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hallowed Ground" by Cindy Ziperman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman is a light, engaging read. While the cover made me wonder if this may be a ghost story, it’s not. It is a fast-moving, conflict-filled book with interesting characters and surprising plot twists. Even though this book is in the crime and mystery category, interested readers may want to know that there is also a lot of romance. The two main characters are, of course, gorgeous, smart, and single. And, we know where that generally leads. However, while these characters start in a set mold, they do develop somewhat throughout the story.

The book starts with lots of action, lots of questions, and lots of drama. We get to meet our heroine, Samantha, quickly. She is a nurse of high regard who has lost her temper with one of her coworkers. She gets fired for confronting an arrogant, incompetent doctor whose inattention caused a patient to die. Samantha finds herself in a seemingly impossible situation, but she stands up for herself. She is a strong female character who, among other things, has a nasty relationship with her mother and a difficult time trusting people. I like that she is grounded and not aloof. Some of her actions and responses actually made me belly laugh. After losing her job, Sam packs up and heads for Tennessee to live with her aunt and uncle. She's not there long before she meets T.J.

T.J. is a college history professor specializing in womanizing and in the U.S. Civil War. He also serves as the head of The Western Theater Battlefield Preservation Association, an organization dedicated to the preservation of U.S. Civil War sites. While trying to preserve the battlefield near Franklin, Tennessee, T.J. finds himself up against wealthy corporations who want to build a shopping center. They don’t want to compromise, and they don’t play nice. Undeterred, T.J. remains a champion for preservation.

Ziperman includes excellent descriptions along the way, like this one of a peaceful night in a farmhouse. “Then, lying on her bed at night, she would feel the soft warm breeze blowing in the window, carrying with it the sound of the bullfrogs from the pond and the smells from the fields.” (Loc 1094) She also does a great job including little details in facial expressions, like this description after a fight, “T.J. managed a full smile. It was lopsided, but it was definitely a smile.” (Loc 2783)

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am taking a star for punctuation errors, most of which concern commas. The story could be considered somewhat predictable, but I think the author put in enough twists to keep it fresh. Prospective readers should know there are instances of adult language, violence, and vividly described sexual encounters. I skimmed over the sexual situations until I got back to the plot.

There is one negative thing I could not overlook, and that is the inclusion of stereotypical dirty, dumb rednecks. The Walkers are described as big, fat, toothless school dropouts. All they are missing is a banjo. Since the author did such a good job with other characters, I was surprised she relied on stereotypes for these two brothers.

Again, while Hallowed Ground carries a crime and mystery label, it would also be interesting to readers of romance and American Civil War history. Readers looking for historical fiction, however, would probably not find their fix in this title since it is set in this century. I also would not recommend it to younger readers because of the sex scenes.

Hallowed Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like a great read! The cover also had me fooled as I thought it was a ghost story! Thanks for the engaging review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Samantha sounds like the type of character I love to read about, but I am not a huge romance fan. The crime and mystery portion of it caught my attention though. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

Romance sounds interesting in this part. Like the review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an interesting read despite the stereotypical rednecks. Excellent review--thanks for the recommendation.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk

Post by Manang Muyang »

I chuckled at "specializing in womanizing." I also reviewed this one and found it extremely entertaining, albeit not too plausible. I'm more stingy with my rating, too. I wish the author can improve the editing. Yours is the fourth review she has on the site, and all cite the bad grammar.
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 26 May 2019, 06:18 Sounds like a great read! The cover also had me fooled as I thought it was a ghost story! Thanks for the engaging review!
Thank you for the "ghost story" validation! :lol: And, thanks for taking time to comment.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Letora wrote: 26 May 2019, 08:59 Samantha sounds like the type of character I love to read about, but I am not a huge romance fan. The crime and mystery portion of it caught my attention though. Thank you for reviewing!
I'm not a romance fan, either. Honestly, if this book had been characterized as such, I wouldn't have picked it up. :lol: Thanks for taking time to comment!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

imSunshine wrote: 26 May 2019, 10:28 Romance sounds interesting in this part. Like the review.
Thanks for stopping by! :D :D
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Cecilia_L wrote: 26 May 2019, 14:05 This sounds like an interesting read despite the stereotypical rednecks. Excellent review--thanks for the recommendation.
Yes, it really is a good story. I will admit to having a little "redneckiness" myself, but I think my definition is different from that of this author. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for stopping by!!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Miriam Molina wrote: 27 May 2019, 08:09 I also reviewed this one and found it extremely entertaining, albeit not too plausible.
That's an excellent description of this book! Thanks for taking the time to comment!
sarahmarlowe
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I am wondering how a strong woman like Samantha could fall under the "womanizing" spell of T.J.? The Civil War references are also intriguing. This book seems to have a good mix of different themes to hold the readers' interest. Thanks for the great review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

From the review I'm surprised this is classified in the crime genre and yet seems to have strong romance themes. Thanks for the review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Great review! But it doesn't really sound like one I'd like.
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

kdstrack wrote: 28 May 2019, 11:47 I am wondering how a strong woman like Samantha could fall under the "womanizing" spell of T.J.? The Civil War references are also intriguing. This book seems to have a good mix of different themes to hold the readers' interest. Thanks for the great review!
Good question! Yes, this book has some intriguing aspects. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”