Official Review: MIND the gaps by Abigail Mansfield

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: MIND the gaps by Abigail Mansfield

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "MIND the gaps" by Abigail Mansfield.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kate never believed she was someone that would ever get stalked. As far as she was concerned, only people with money had stalkers or gorgeous celebrities with crazy fans. She wasn’t special enough to have a stalker. Therefore, by the time Kate realized she was the object of someone’s crazed obsession, her relationship of six years had been sabotaged, she had lost her job, and she had ended up in jail. Nonetheless, her living nightmare had only begone.

MIND the gaps by Abigail Mansfield is one of those books you cannot judge by its cover. It’s dark, it’s edgy, with humor effortlessly weaved in either via the characters’ banter, or Mansfield’s choice of words describing people or situations. Nothing is as it seems, and the twists and turns keep coming. The story flowed at a steady, measured pace but picked up halfway into the book. The plot unfolded from the perspective of the three main characters, Kate, her girlfriend Alex, and the unknown stalker. This style of writing gave the story a well-rounded tone, making it possible for the reader to not only appreciate what these key figures were going through but to also better understand their reactions depending on the situations they’ve found themselves. The book had richly developed and very relatable characters.

I like how Kate’s character growth didn’t just occur overnight, not even after she hit rock bottom when she took to binge drinking. Her journey was a hard and bitter one, and it took facing death at the hands of her stalker for her to see how she had come close to wilfully destroying what was most precious to her.

One of my favorites in the book was the Jeffs, a stereotypical gay couple who share the same first name. Their over-the-top banter and general playful demeanor added some humor to the otherwise dark theme of the book. I was glad to learn Mansfield based them on real people in her life. The world needs more folks like them. Lucy, Alex’s fraternal twin sister, and her filter-less opinions regarding Alex’s love/sex life were also laugh-out-loud hilarious.

What I liked most about the book was Mansfield’s attempt to bring awareness to mental health and depression. It is of utmost importance to maintain an open dialogue on mental health. There was also the subject of blood and bone marrow donations, especially the need to help sick kids whose lives depend on them.

The book appears professionally edited with very few grammar errors. My only problem with it was how colorful the language got from time to time. However, this is a personal preference. Overall, it was a highly satisfying and well-written book. Considering this, I wholeheartedly award this book 4 out of 4 stars.

MIND the gaps is not for kids. It contains strong vulgar language and explicit sex scenes, most of which are same-sex in nature. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy romance and mystery novels and are not squeamish about language vulgarity and graphic sex scenes.

MIND the gaps
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Adedayo+23's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like my kind of psychological thriller! I like that it is written using three different perspectives, the stalker is one of them! I like that everything slowly unfolds, and it isn't until Kate is left with nothing that she realizes her predicament. Great review!
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

It is intriguing to me because this is a timely issue especially stealing/stalking identities of someone famous..Very interesting one.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 24 May 2019, 10:52 This sounds like my kind of psychological thriller! I like that it is written using three different perspectives, the stalker is one of them! I like that everything slowly unfolds, and it isn't until Kate is left with nothing that she realizes her predicament. Great review!
Thank you so much for stopping by! 🙂
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

imSunshine wrote: 24 May 2019, 11:23 It is intriguing to me because this is a timely issue especially stealing/stalking identities of someone famous..Very interesting one.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting. 🙂
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Someone's life being ruined by a stalker combined with humor. Sound kind of like a mystery/thriller.
Maybe I'll check it out, thanks.
amjohnson13
Shelly Caetano
Currently Reading: Altered Carbon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-caetano.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shelly Caetano »

Wow, this book sounds very compelling. It also sounds very well rounded. It's great to hear of a book that supports awareness of important matters such as mental illness. Thanks for the review!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I was definitely intrigued by the description. I like that the book can still be humorous while discussing such dark topics. However, I'm not one for explicit sex scenes, so I'll have to pass. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

amjohnson13mommy wrote: 24 May 2019, 15:41 Someone's life being ruined by a stalker combined with humor. Sound kind of like a mystery/thriller.
Maybe I'll check it out, thanks.
Thank you for commenting 😊
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

drifting dreamer wrote: 24 May 2019, 18:05 Wow, this book sounds very compelling. It also sounds very well rounded. It's great to hear of a book that supports awareness of important matters such as mental illness. Thanks for the review!
Thanks a lot for stopping by.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

maggi3 wrote: 25 May 2019, 01:13 I was definitely intrigued by the description. I like that the book can still be humorous while discussing such dark topics. However, I'm not one for explicit sex scenes, so I'll have to pass. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting 🙂
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Mental health, depression, gay couples, and blood and bone marrow donations...wow, this book certainly seems to touch on so much of today's world. Thank you for a most informative and interesting review, Adedayo!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This book touches so many topics, and it sounds like the author did a great job highlighting all of them. Your review has intrigued me, and I think I will have to check this one out. Excellent job!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Bluebird03 wrote: 25 May 2019, 17:36 Mental health, depression, gay couples, and blood and bone marrow donations...wow, this book certainly seems to touch on so much of today's world. Thank you for a most informative and interesting review, Adedayo!
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. 🙂
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Meg98 wrote: 25 May 2019, 19:51 This book touches so many topics, and it sounds like the author did a great job highlighting all of them. Your review has intrigued me, and I think I will have to check this one out. Excellent job!
Thank you so much! 🙂

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”