Official Review: Ransom (Tip of the Spear series Book #3)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Ransom (Tip of the Spear series Book #3)

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ransom (Tip of the Spear series Book #3)" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Phrases like “full of intrigue,” “action-packed,” and “edge of your seat” only begin to characterize Belle Ami’s book, Ransom. From the first page of the prologue, Belle Ami sets the stage with Mossad agents discovering a combined Hezbollah and North Korean plot to detonate high-altitude nuclear weapons and create an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) that would destroy all electronics within the blast zone. Since the targets are Israel and the US, this would effectively cause chaos and reduce these two powerful nations to the level of developing countries. Mossad’s leader immediately implements a highly secretive plan using a black-ops team to find and destroy the nuclear weapons before they can cause any damage. Ransom follows both the members of the black-ops team as they race to diffuse these threats and some of the Hezbollah agents as they work to ensure their success.

As the third book in her Tip of the Spear series, some fans may already be familiar with a few of the characters. Still, readers new to the series do not need to feel that it is necessary to read the first two books before starting this one. Belle Ami clearly introduces recurring characters such as Cyrus, Layla, and Aryeh in this book. Even though they have history, Belle Ami presents these character stories with an artistic touch that conveys the back story elegantly and efficiently. Her talent in this area was so effective that it was difficult to identify which characters carried over from previous books and which characters were new to the series.

While Belle Ami tells a thrilling story, her roots in romance also clearly come through. Frequent and explicit sex scenes appeared throughout the novel. Readers fond of the more erotic side of the romance genre may enjoy taking a dip into the thriller arena with the high-stakes action involved in this thriller. Violence and strong language also feature heavily, so readers desiring a “clean” read will want to skip this one.

Belle Ami tells a strong story with plenty of details and consistency throughout the novel. Avoiding unnecessary details and keeping exposition to a minimum also contributed to the great storytelling. Unfortunately, the text contained far too many technical problems with commas, homonyms, apostrophes and other grammar issues. With the quality of her writing in general, though, most readers will not likely suffer a significant impact to their enjoyment of the book.

Because of the strong storytelling and interesting characters, Ransom definitely fits the bill for readers that desire an exciting thriller. Sadly, due to the issues in editing, this book only earns 3 out of 4 stars. With a significant review in the grammar department, this is a book that could quickly earn its fourth star. Fans of Belle Ami’s other works will certainly enjoy this new novel.

Ransom (Tip of the Spear series Book #3)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your review portrays the author's writing style with her excellent history research, some sex scenes and violence. I enjoyed your comments about this book and author. Thanks for recommending this intriguing book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that this one wasn't properly edited. I'm glad this one has so many interesting elements to it, but it's not for me. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Your review has really brought the book to life. Thanks for the recommendation. Great review.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Exciting thrillers are just my kind of book, but the editing issues are rather worrisome. Thanks for your insightful review.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I'm not into the erotica elements so I think I'll pass on this one, but otherwise the book's plot sounds engaging and well-written. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I've enjoyed other books by Belle Ami and the combination of romance and thriller is usually one I find engaging. Hopefully, the editing issues will get fixed. Thank you for your enthusiastic review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Haven't read any of this author's books but will definitely read one from her. The storyline of this book feels like a prophecy to America and Israel. Too bad for the editing but it's a risk that I'm willing to take simply because I find this storyline is intriguing. Thank God from your review, it's not really necessary for me to start from the first book. Thank you for your compelling review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Thank you for your thorough review. Sounds like an intriguing read.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm happily reminded of NCIS with this plot. While I haven't always been a fan of that show, the Mossad and romance elements were always fun and those stood out to me in this review as well. The EMP plot also sounds quite thought out in terms of the aftermath and who would have an interest in carrying it out.

Awesome review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”