Official Review: Nobody Move by Philip Elliott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Nobody Move by Philip Elliott

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nobody Move" by Philip Elliott.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nobody Move is a sensational crime/thriller novel set in Los Angeles by first-time author, Philip Elliot. It has action, romance, a sadistic former hitman out for revenge, and an edge-of-your-seat car chase scene. From start to finish, it reads like a real crime/thriller movie, reminiscent of Pulp Fiction, with not a single dull moment in between. Kudos to the author on such captivating writing.

A midnight house call has gone wrong and ends in two murders, followed by a makeshift grave in the forest to dispose of the bodies. Thus, marks the beginning of the end for Eddie, a low-life thug and tortured soul, whose string of bad decisions ultimately spells doom for himself and the woman he loves. On his tail is his diminutive and merciless boss, Saul Benedict, who wants Eddie to pay for his mistake or die trying. Equally out to get him is Rufus Kane, a retired hitman with a terrifying fondness of daggers, whose brother Eddie killed by accident; and Alison Lockley, a determined Detective with the Los Angeles Police Department investigating the double murder. Who will get to him first? Can Eddie out-run them all?

For a first-time author, Elliot undoubtedly knocked it out of the park. The writing draws you in almost immediately, and the story flowed in a fast-paced yet engaging manner, culminating in a much-anticipated showdown at the end. Each character was so unique and colorful, they almost leaped out of the pages. The way Elliot wrote Rufus Kane reminded me of the character Chigurh, from No Country for Old Men. He was one mean, sadistic, and terrifying individual. I also like how the author wrote Eddie’s character. On one hand, you feel for him and the hapless situation he has put himself in, and on the other, you acknowledge that he must pay for what he did. I appreciate how Elliot was able to strike that balance writing Eddie’s persona. It is not necessarily an easy feat. In various places throughout the book, Elliot pays homage to classic movies and music which I believe inspired him in the course of writing this book. There’s also a bit of underlying humor to the story, which can usually be found in Eddie, Floyd and Sawyer’s banter, as well as the texts the author employed while describing certain characters.

Another aspect of the book I was impressed with was the way Elliot touched on a couple of sensitive and controversial real-life issues. From workplace sexism to homosexuality, from misconceptions about Transgender lifestyle and surgery to the irrefutably grim plight of Native Americans in the United States. It was shocking to learn that Native American women are two and a half times more likely to be raped than any other ethnic minority in the United States. I particularly like that Dakota was able to go back and give back to her community the way she did. Also, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that I found some on the nose remarks about a certain infamous United States President highly amusing.

My only grouse with the book was the way Detective Alison’s character was written. This is more of a personal issue than a general book issue. As a fan of strong, female characters, I had hoped she would be given a proper backstory than what was in the book. Still, she was a kick-ass Detective, and the book was an irresistible page-turner.

In terms of editing, the book was well-written and appeared professionally edited, with only one or two minor grammar errors which in no way detracted from the overall quality of the story. Considering all these, I award Nobody Move 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend the book to readers of crime thrillers who are in no way offended by racial slurs, curse words, mildly graphic violence, and mildly graphic same-sex sexual acts.

Nobody Move
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Adedayo+23's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a very captivating and unique story.. I like that this author is a first-timer, and it seems like he did an excellent job! Your review has intrigued me, and I think I will have to read this one. Great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like an action-packed read! Ilike that the author has created well-developed characters to add to the allure of this fast-paced thriller. Great review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a well-written book with great pacing and good characters. It's awesome that the author was able to, as you say, "knock it out of the park" on his first try! Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

You got me there with your captivating review. I feel I should get this one for my next action novel. Thanks.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love fast-paced books with good character development and this one certainly seems to have both. I think it will be one that I will enjoy. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Meg98 wrote: 21 May 2019, 14:27 This sounds like a very captivating and unique story.. I like that this author is a first-timer, and it seems like he did an excellent job! Your review has intrigued me, and I think I will have to read this one. Great review! Cheers:)
You'll certainly enjoy it. Thank you for stopping by, and happy reading! 🙂
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 21 May 2019, 15:32 Sounds like an action-packed read! Ilike that the author has created well-developed characters to add to the allure of this fast-paced thriller. Great review!
Thank you for stopping by. 🙂
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 21 May 2019, 21:23 This sounds like a well-written book with great pacing and good characters. It's awesome that the author was able to, as you say, "knock it out of the park" on his first try! Thanks for your review!
I was pretty impressed by the author. Thank you for commenting 😊
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Uinto wrote: 22 May 2019, 05:56 You got me there with your captivating review. I feel I should get this one for my next action novel. Thanks.
Thank you so much for stopping by. Happy reading! 🙂
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Prisallen wrote: 22 May 2019, 07:08 I love fast-paced books with good character development and this one certainly seems to have both. I think it will be one that I will enjoy. Thank you for a wonderful review!
I appreciate your kind words!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's always great to find new authors, like Elliott, who impress you with their writing and plot lines. Your positive remarks about this book are highly persuasive. Thanks for reviewing this book!
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

kdstrack wrote: 28 May 2019, 12:51 It's always great to find new authors, like Elliott, who impress you with their writing and plot lines. Your positive remarks about this book are highly persuasive. Thanks for reviewing this book!
I agree. I was pleased and impressed at how good the book was, that feeling of finding a great catch when you least expect it. Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”