Official Review: Three Graves by Zack Kaplan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Three Graves by Zack Kaplan

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Three Graves" by Zack Kaplan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. − Confucius”

These ominous words are how Three Graves, written by Zack Kaplan, begins. Richard Pembroke, who is a drug lord in Los Angeles, kidnaps Colin Graves and his wife, Betty, thinking that Colin is the leader of a rival gang. Richard kills Colin's wife and severely injures Colin before getting a phone call telling him he has the wrong man. While Colin is being driven away to be disposed of, his brother, who is a cop, inadvertently finds him while making a traffic stop and rushes him to a doctor to save his life. Depressed over losing his wife and angry about being maimed and the inability to use his body as before, Colin and his brother, Dane, plot to take down Richard, his minions, and his drug empire. This will be a difficult and dangerous task to perform.

Zack Kaplan gets our attention at the beginning of this book and masterfully holds it until the end. This is a descriptive, action-packed, plot-driven novel concerning the dark side of L.A. and some of its police force. The story follows two different alternating timelines. We are not told the times, but one is present day and the other is months to possibly a year or two in the past. As I was reading, I often asked myself what the past had to do with the present story, but it is made abundantly clear by the end of the book. With its stunning implications, this surprise blending of the two timelines was my favorite part of the book. As they moved from one unpredictable, intense event to another, I was captivated by the plot that included several twists. These were followed by a surprise ending. All the loose ends are answered by the conclusion.

The main characters are not your usual run-of-the-mill protagonists. These men are flawed but interesting. Colin loves his wife dearly and grieves for her. Dane loves his brother and sat by his bedside when he was injured. They are both constantly cracking jokes, even in dangerous situations. The number of jokes may have been slightly overdone, and I think I would have enjoyed it more if there were fewer, but this was just a part of their personalities. It did lessen the tension a bit. However, we see the dark side of human nature residing in these characters as well. Colin is an ex-police officer, and he and Dane have become used to making their own justice as cops and don’t think the law applies to them anymore. They want revenge now and mercilessly set about getting it.

A lot of vulgar and racial slurs are spoken by the characters in the story, but their conversations are believable since they are criminals trying to look tough. Descriptive torture and murder are a big part of the book and sensitive people might want to steer clear of it. It was a little too much for my taste and was my least favorite part.

Only four errors were found in the book, so I think it was professionally edited.

This well-written story deserves 4 out of 4 stars because it is captivating and difficult to put down. I believe readers who like dark crime dramas and suspense novels would enjoy the story. People sensitive to torture and murder should steer clear of this book as there is quite a bit here. It is not appropriate for children.

Three Graves
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Prisallen's review? Post a comment saying so!
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I adore books that have nuanced and flawed characters, and lots of psychological depth. The characters in this book sound fantastic. However, I'm very sensitive to violence and I probably wouldn't be able to stomach this book. Still, it's always comforting to know that well-written characters exist in the world. Thanks for this wonderful, thorough review, Prisallen! It's no nice that you enjoyed it so much.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

This sounds like something I'd enjoy reading. Many thanks for a great review!
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I really sympathized with Colin who was mistaken for another by a drug lord. In the process he was maimed and had his wife killed. I hope he does get his revenge. Thanks for the insightful review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

nooregano wrote: 21 May 2019, 01:01 I adore books that have nuanced and flawed characters, and lots of psychological depth. The characters in this book sound fantastic. However, I'm very sensitive to violence and I probably wouldn't be able to stomach this book. Still, it's always comforting to know that well-written characters exist in the world. Thanks for this wonderful, thorough review, Prisallen! It's no nice that you enjoyed it so much.
There is a lot of violence in this book, so you might want to avoid it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 21 May 2019, 01:26 This sounds like something I'd enjoy reading. Many thanks for a great review!
You are welcome. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Uinto wrote: 21 May 2019, 05:06 I really sympathized with Colin who was mistaken for another by a drug lord. In the process he was maimed and had his wife killed. I hope he does get his revenge. Thanks for the insightful review.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Action packed stories are my favourite. The fact that this one includes revange and looks real has just increased my curiosity. I honesty love the way you've skilfully summarized the story using not so many but not very few words. Thanks for the good review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this one has quite the fast pace to it. I love that the characters are not so black and white. However, gangs aren't something I normally read about. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I like when a story can keep you wondering how it all ties together and then wraps it all up nicely! It appears this story does just that. Thank you for the nice review.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Book title and the opening line of the book intrigued me. But, I wasn't sure whether I'll still be intrigued by the time I reach the end of the summary. I was pleasantly surprised to be even more curious about this book. Therefore I'll definitely be reading this book and thanks so much for the lovely review.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

I like the idea of the two timelines and can only imagine what the revelation ultimately turned out to be. Thanks for the fantastic review.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a very well-written book with a great plot and great characters. I love the banter you described between the two brothers. Like you, though, I think the torture scenes would be a little too much for me. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

You've made this book seem like a thrilling, thought-provoking read for its genre's fans. Indeed, forgiveness could be difficult and yet still ideal. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

Flawed characters are usually the most believable. I'm glad the author could get this right :)
Wonderful review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”