Official Review: Gravnick by Bob Herpe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Gravnick by Bob Herpe

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gravnick" by Bob Herpe.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gravnick by Bob Herpe falls into the crime and mystery category. Actually, the subtitle is Action, Adventure, and a Taste of Matzo Ball Soup. As you can guess, the author has a little fun along the way, and some readers may enjoy the ride. Gravnick is heavily character-based, the plot revolving around a determined Chief of Police, a skilled assassin, and a cosmetics queen. Herpe provides surprises and unanswered questions at the end of this book, setting up the possibility for another novel.

Ernie Gravnick serves as acting Chief of Police in Highland Park, outside Chicago. His family history is linked to the mob, and he has connections across the city. During his career, Gravnick has doggedly pursued criminals, no matter their past or associations. Now, he finds himself in the midst of a murder investigation that is much more complicated than it first seems. During the chase, he also finds danger, love, and heartbreak.

I liked the way the author drew the main characters. Herpe allows readers to see their motivations and backgrounds, and we get to know them pretty well. It was interesting to see what they would do in the situations they experienced. I also liked that the author sprinkled humor throughout the book. For instance, one man gets grazed by a van. He is unhurt, but his pants are ripped, showing that his underwear matches his bright red bowtie. Further, he is unfazed by the close contact, and he continues to take notes about the van as he stands on the sidewalk in his bright-red glory.

Unfortunately, while the main characters were pretty well-rounded, minor characters were just numerous, and keeping them all straight became a chore. Besides there being so many characters, the author added to the confusion in some cases. For instance, there are three characters named Jennifer. Additionally, a lot of the dialogue isn’t natural. For example, this is one of the characters talking about her husband, “Then with a look of unbridled anger that I never knew him capable of, he sneered and said, ‘And now my darling wife, with that accomplished, I am ready to execute a takeover of your beloved company.’” (Loc 265)

I also had some trouble following the plot. The action was fast-paced, but some chapters seemed to wander, leaving me confused about plot direction. The passage of time between scenes is sometimes unclear, and settings jump back and forth.

Besides plot and character questions, this book contains many, many errors. Some errors concern format, but most are grammatical. There are numerous issues related to comma usage alone. Sometimes a few errors aren’t distracting, but these absolutely broke my reading pace and took away some of my reading enjoyment. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I’m taking one star for editing errors. The other is for the lack of plot continuity. It’s certainly better than a 1-star book, but the story caused me to have more questions than I should have. People who like “cop stories” may enjoy Gravnick despite the plot and editing issues, but I think more people would enjoy it after another round of editing. Prospective readers should know that this book contains gory descriptions, adult language, and some adult situations.

Gravnick
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Thank you for your honest review. It is too bad about the errors and inconsistent plot. I think I will skip this one.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

It sounds like this story is promising, but would benefit from another round of editing and perhaps a bit more attention to pacing and character development. I will pass on this one for now. Excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
rubaya123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rubaya123 »

This story is amazing though it needs some corrections.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I think I will probably pass on this one, due to the plot issues and multiple grammar errors. Thank you so much for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree. Sometimes an author fixates on one name. Three characters with the same name would be confusing. I enjoyed reading your comments about this book. This is an insightful review. Thanks.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

The book sounds interesting, but it looks like keeping up would be quite a challenge with the many characters and the time jumps. Thanks for the review. I think I'll skip this one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like an author that includes humor in his book. However, this one just sounds like it would confuse the life out of me. Too many secondary characters just becomes overwhelming, much less naming three of them Jennifer. I'll pass, but thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Sounds like the author had a great idea but didn't present it well. Thank you for the insightful review!
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 19 May 2019, 13:54 Thank you for your honest review. It is too bad about the errors and inconsistent plot. I think I will skip this one.
Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Meg98 wrote: 19 May 2019, 19:30 It sounds like this story is promising, but would benefit from another round of editing and perhaps a bit more attention to pacing and character development. I will pass on this one for now. Excellent review!
Thanks so much for stopping by and for commenting! :tiphat:
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

rubaya123 wrote: 19 May 2019, 19:39 This story is amazing though it needs some corrections.
Thanks for commenting! :tiphat:
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Rachel Lea wrote: 19 May 2019, 20:26 I think I will probably pass on this one, due to the plot issues and multiple grammar errors. Thank you so much for your review!
Yes, I find it difficult to recommend this one. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! :tiphat:
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

kdstrack wrote: 19 May 2019, 21:44 I agree. Sometimes an author fixates on one name. Three characters with the same name would be confusing. I enjoyed reading your comments about this book. This is an insightful review. Thanks.
Thanks so much for stopping by. When I encounter things like that, I wonder if the author even realizes how confusing it is.
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

TuyetMai wrote: 20 May 2019, 02:29 The book sounds interesting, but it looks like keeping up would be quite a challenge with the many characters and the time jumps. Thanks for the review. I think I'll skip this one.
Yes, I think it should go through another round of editing. Thanks for stopping in! :tiphat:
sarahmarlowe

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”