Official Review: Camper Catastrophe by Mary Lu Scholl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: Camper Catastrophe by Mary Lu Scholl

Post by ashley_claire »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Camper Catastrophe" by Mary Lu Scholl.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Patty Decker is the breakout star in Mary Lu Scholl's Camper Catastrophe. When Patty finds herself single once again after having been married four times, she is ready for a change in her life. She heads to Florida for the warmer weather and to be closer to her son. She moves into a retirement trailer park where she quickly learns that unexpected visits from neighbors are par for the course. Patty is a straightforward, no-nonsense woman who knows her limitations when it comes to social situations. She isn't used to having so much interaction with others on a daily basis, but forces herself to try to adapt.

It isn't long before she has her first clash with a fellow cranky neighbor. Albert is known around the park for liking things a certain way. Patty has no problem voicing her disagreement with him for anyone in the park to see. So when Albert turns up dead the next day and the police suspect foul play, it's no surprise when Patty finds herself on the short list of suspects. Having dabbled in writing a mystery or two of her own, she doesn't think twice about starting her own investigation into the mysterious circumstances of Albert's death.

I had a lot of fun reading this book and enjoyed Patty's character immensely. She was easily my favorite part of this book. Though she could be considered a bit of a curmudgeon, most of the time she just said out loud what everyone was thinking. She had a dry, self-deprecating sense of humor that pulled me in immediately. She was also self-aware enough to know that she may not be the world's friendliest person, and repeatedly tried to improve her social manners. Her attempts to play nice with others helped to develop her character throughout the book.

The one downfall of this book is that I did notice quite a few errors. They are easy fixes that the author should be able to work out with another proofread or two. Nonetheless, they did distract from my reading from time to time.

For me, this book was the epitome of what a cozy mystery entails. It had humor, an intimate setting, and quirky characters. The author also brought in a slight supernatural element which added an unexpected twist for me. Though the book was a quick read at under one hundred pages, it felt like a complete story and nothing was rushed. The book also hit on what it means to be a friend. What elements of other people's personalities are you willing to accept and at what point do you decide the friendship may not be worth it?

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The type of humor in it might not be for everyone and some might just see Patty as a cranky old lady. But if you like reading mysteries centered around a sassy older woman, this is for you.

Camper Catastrophe
View: on Bookshelves

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a book that I would love to read, as it has a mystery, humor and quirky characters. Thank you for a wonderful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poor Albert! I wonder who killed him. This does sound like a nice, cute mystery. It's too bad about the errors, but at least those can be fixed. Thanks for introducing us to this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This story sounds like a delight to read. I love cozy mysteries and think that Patty would quickly become a favorite character of mine. I enjoyed how you portrayed her. Thank you for a great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

These short cozy mysteries are just the thing for a weekend read. This one sounds like fun with humor, mystery and a twist to keep it interesting. Thanks for the great recommendation.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I love stories with funny, quirky main characters! And I love a good mystery. I think I'll be checking this one out. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Sounds like this could be a decent enough book if the errors are cleaned out. Thanks for your review!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

This book seems interesting, especially this Patty character. Thanks for the review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Loving Patty already! :) I would love to check this book out, a supernatural element and following unexpected twist got me intrigued. Thank you for an excellent review!
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Patty becomes a suspect in Albert's death because she would not back down if she did not agree with him. Wow, it sounds like the police were having a lot of trouble with the case if they looked at her as a suspect because she was not afraid to tell him what she thought.
Plot seems a bit thin for me.
amjohnson13
Shelly Caetano
Currently Reading: Altered Carbon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-caetano.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shelly Caetano »

This sounds like a fun quirky book...kind of like an adult Nancy Drew. I can sympathize with the protagonist. As an individual from a small town, I can attest that frequent unwanted daily neighbor visits can be frustrating, to say the least. Thank you for the review!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another well-written, insightful review! This book sounds like something I would like - a mystery with some humor and a great main character. It's a shame about the errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”