Official Review: The Gatekeeper by Russ Kane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: The Gatekeeper by Russ Kane

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gatekeeper" by Russ Kane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Gatekeeper is a quirky paranormal thriller by Russ Kane. Nick Gold, the cynical host of TV show Nick Gold - Paranormal Detective, doesn't believe in the paranormal. That is, until nurse Joanne Walsh and TV producer Adam Farthing, quite unrelated, both claim to have seen a dead family member with a mouthful of sharpened teeth, like a shark, who then tried to kill them. When Nick's dead ex-wife Suzie appears in his hotel room with the same pointed fangs, it becomes even more difficult to deny the evidence before him. His research soon uncovers the disturbing fact that each attack corresponds to the alleged site of one of the "Gates of Hell" on Earth, where demons - and perhaps Lucifer himself - might seek to rise from their lower dominion and wreak havoc among humankind. Further unnerving him in his travels to these locations is the repeated appearance of a homeless man who isn't really a homeless man, and his talking dog, leading Nick to wonder just what in Hell is going on...

I chose this book based on the blurb, which suggested an author with an affinity for the paranormal and a similarly quirky, off-beat sense of humour to my own. I was not disappointed. In the Prologue, Kane described a broken-down car as "deader than Kevin Spacey's career." When the woman in the car sang along to the radio while her husband investigated the problem, the author wrote: "Loretta joined in the chorus. She was back in High School when Neil Young wasn’t Neil Old." Nick Gold also had some good self-deprecating humour in his inner monologue: "The waitress took their order and smiled delightfully. Did she recognize him? Did his black leather jacket give him a dangerous edge? You idiot...tip...she wants a tip, you dumb-arse." At another point, when Nick "began to scribble notes trying to marshal his thoughts," he listed down three points about crazy supernatural stuff that had happened so far, then wrote: "4. Buy more washing-up liquid." Moments like these startled frequent laughter from me throughout the book.

Kane's writing style was easy-to-read and the story was always entertaining. As someone fascinated and frightened by Hell and demons, I read on compulsively toward the end of the book. The Gatekeeper included some interesting theological history due to Nick Gold's background studying theology. It also featured a relevant quote from John Milton (most from Paradise Lost) at the beginning of each chapter. Kane did some ominous foreshadowing, too. One example was in his history of the Derweze crater in Turkmenistan, a massive fiery pit 230 feet wide and 65 feet deep, filled with natural gas, which had burned for almost half a century after a gas explosion during a drilling operation killed many workers. The chapter about this crater ended: "What might have been handy would have been if any of the team knew the meaning of Derweze, the location where they were drilling. Derweze means 'gate'. And some gates are best left shut." The Derweze crater is worth doing an online search for, too; the photographs are phenomenal.

A scene from Hell witnessed by Nick was frightening and sickening, reminiscent of scenes I will never forget from sci-fi/horror film Event Horizon, one of the scariest movies ever made. I really liked the way Kane was able to context-switch from humour to horror and back again; the funny moments made the story less dark, while the horror grounded it and gave it real weight. The author handled the growth of Nick Gold's character from a disbelieving paranormal TV presenter to a reluctant believer (and beyond) very well. I also enjoyed the love-hate relationship between Nick and savvy American attorney Lesley-Ann Trobe. Their interesting dynamic kept me guessing about where their relationship might lead.

There were several minor typographical errors throughout the book, mostly only missing punctuation. I found ten such errors in the first eighty pages. There were also sometimes missing line breaks in the verses from Milton at the beginning of the chapters. One unfortunate transposition error saw the Large Hadron Collider at Cerne mislabelled the "Large Hardon Collider." This may have been a typo...or perhaps the scientists at Cerne had just taken a very weird turn in their research...

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed The Gatekeeper by Russ Kane. With the errors in the manuscript fixed, I would be happy to award it 4 stars. For now, I must rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I found it a smart, funny, and frightening paranormal thriller with plenty of entertainment value. I think most readers of paranormal fiction would find something to enjoy in this book, especially if you also share the author's quirky sense of humour.

The Gatekeeper
View: on Bookshelves

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I like the humorous bits in the book that you highlight, but I'm not sold on the rest of it - demons with sharp teeth and a talking dog sound a bit out there to me! I very much enjoyed your review of the book, however. Many thanks!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

So sad a book with such a great description still has so many errors. A funny, paranormal thriller seems very interesting. Thanks for introducing this one.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

The story seems very familiar. Is this book based off a movie? Sounds like a great storyline, right up my alley! I've got to say this, I loved the movie Event Horizon. Some part were creepy but I love this type of movie. Therefore based on your review, and the fact you compared it to that movie, I HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK!,
Thanks for sharing the awesome review.
amjohnson13
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy the thought of the humorous scenes. Some of the lines you give are just hilarious. However, I'm not much interested in reading about demons, and I am especially not interested in something this horrific. I think I'll pass, but I'm glad you found one to your liking. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
c4bersg1rl
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl »

A paranormal thriller with humor and a talking dog? Well, that is a new one on me. The cynical TV show host to reluctant believer sounds interesting. I think that even though it has several typos, it could still be a good read.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

"...Leading Nick to wonder just what in Hell is going on..." Very nice segue.

As a big fan of the thriller genre, I find the plot of The Gatekeeper quite intriguing. This book sounds well-written and delightfully eerie. And your review was very detailed and entertaining (the "Hardon Collider" part legitimately made me laugh out loud). Thank you!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I don't think John Milton ever thought he would be quoted in a horror story! I looked up the crater. It is amazing! This story line is too dark for me. Your review was fantastic! Thanks.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

This looks like a fun paranormal book to read! Immike the humor of the author and I'm glad that you can relate to him. Thanks for a great review!
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Paranormal is certainly thrilling. And interesting as well. This one seems like a must read. Great job on the review.
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

This book has tried to touch many areas of my interest, which are humour, horror and sci-fi. Its a pity there are some typo errors, but your review shows its a good story to engage one.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Humor and horror, intriguing combination. The book seems very interesting based on your review. Thanks for the review.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The pun on Neil Young's name had me sold. At first I thought the fangs alluded to vampires, but what you described is way more interesting and provides more room for humour. Excellent review.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Inspite of the hellish mayhem I must admit the humour more than compensates. Thanks for the review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 14 May 2019, 12:32 I like the humorous bits in the book that you highlight, but I'm not sold on the rest of it - demons with sharp teeth and a talking dog sound a bit out there to me! I very much enjoyed your review of the book, however. Many thanks!
Yeah, it was pretty "out there" in its way, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great entertainment. Thanks!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”