Official Review: Something in the Mirror by Doug Hall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Something in the Mirror by Doug Hall

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something in the Mirror" by Doug Hall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something in the Mirror by Doug Hall is a work of fiction that follows the story of a man who is experiencing emotional turmoil. Readers are taken on a journey to witness the man fight the ghosts of his past and witness his encounter with literal ghosts’.

When the girl he’s fallen in love with breaks up with him out of the blue, the narrator of this novel is devastated and finds himself turning to alcohol to drown his sorrows. Keeping in mind that his ex did not support his dreams or think that his future held promise, he becomes determined to prove her wrong. Since he’s always dreamt of becoming a best-selling author, he signs up for a writer’s retreat. However, everything is not as it seems. The venue where the event is held holds a deep, dark history that threatens to haunt all those who grace its grounds. Slowly, the narrator begins to notice strange happenings, including cherub statues that make him feel uneasy. What’s the real truth about the mysterious mansion in the Catholic college grounds? Also, will the narrator ever make peace with his past relationships’?

The narrator (the protagonist) is, in my opinion, charming, believable, and likable. Throughout the narrative, we get to see different aspects of him—he is well-defined and multidimensional. His main love interest (his ex), however, is entitled, immature, brash, tactless, and so on. Plainly, she is the most unlikable character in the novel.

This was an entertaining, easy-to-read short story. The author brings the main character’s world to life with clear and evocative descriptions. The narrative, the character’s inner thoughts, and the dialogues flowed naturally. The effortless humor made for a good number of laugh-out-loud moments, which made reading this novel all the more enjoyable. Additionally, the story within a story element of the novel was refreshing and gave an in-depth backstory of the main character’s toxic relationships.

Though the storyline held my attention all the way to the end, I ended up being disappointed with the ending. I couldn’t believe the story ended how it did. There was so much the author could have explored and thrilled readers with in the mansion story but unfortunately did not. There wasn’t a moment where I was terrified at the happenings in the narrative. There were a few creepy moments that added an air of mystery and suspense, but that was it. Given that the author’s description of the book mentioned that the story would have elements of horror, I naturally expected that parts of the novel would be super scary.

An interesting but not-so-common aspect of this novel is that the author decided to include the original first draft of the book at the end, along with the editor’s comments and corrections. It gave that section a behind-the-scenes feel—I was able to see what the novel was like in its early development. This stands to benefit aspiring writers and those curious about the process of making a book publish-ready for readers.

Those who enjoy stories with a bit of mystery, ghosts, and elements of romance should look into this one. In my reading, I only noted two errors, which made it clear that the book was professionally edited. Everything considered, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars only because the ending felt abrupt and the elements of horror previously suggested weren’t fully explored.

Something in the Mirror
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The story of a man whose emotional side of him got drained sounds painful. A story with a mix of romance and mystery also sounds interesting. This is a good introduction. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

My first thought when I read about the statues was this place sounds a bit like the Overlook Hotel in The Shining.
I would find being able to read the first draft very interesting, thanks.
amjohnson13
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Oh no, literally I'm frightened by ghosts. This man's life must have been a mess. I can't imagine fighting ghosts literally.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The ending can really spoil a book for me. Since this one was so disappointing, I'm probably going to avoid it. You gave some really great information, though. If it was more within my genre, I might tempted to try it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Juju15
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juju15.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Juju15 »

This story has probably a great foundation and strong ideas behind it but it's too bad you thought the ending was disappointing. I think it is quite original that the author showed his first draft, I never saw that before! Thanks for your great review (:
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Oh, I hate it when a book has a lackluster ending... It almost spoils the whole experience. But nevertheless, I love how the author of Something in the Mirror creates an interesting and multi-dimensional character in the protagonist and really delves into his inner thought life. I also really like the elements of mystery and the paranormal in the plot as well. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What a unique idea to include the original draft. I think many readers would appreciate the opportunity to follow the author's writing and editing method. Great review. Thanks!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Wow! I love the sound of this book. It sounds like it would be right up my alley! I really love books that focus on character development. Great review!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

When I read the tittle I immediately came to the conclusion it was a horror book. A thriller that's not terrifying, my expectations have been shattered. Great review though.
Krissykat
Currently Reading: Raptor
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krissykat.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by Krissykat »

My first thoughts upon reading this review was...awesome, romance and ghosts, totally exciting. As I kept reading to only be disappointed. Not scary or thrilling, and a not so great ending, I will pass on this one. Great review
zagabi
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zagabi.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B07PQ96B6B

Post by zagabi »

Nice job Ritah, even thou the author title make it look scary as thought we are having a horror story, when reverse is the case.
Nikkitruett2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nikkitruett2018 »

I think this story would have been better if he wouldn't have allowed his ex to get to him mentally. He wouldn't have turned to alcohol therefore the ghosts of his past wouldn't have been a problem. I would have liked this better if it were only about him dealing with the literal ghosts.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Its so sad that the author ultimately failed to deliver, having such a cleverly conceived premise.Also to imagine that a man with such attributes met so tragic circumstances because of a woman of so low repute, is sad.The review is wonderfuly done, informative and on-point.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

This book sounds really intriguing but I hate it when the ending is a disappointment! That is really special that the author includes his first draft! What a unique perspective. Thank you for that review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”