Official Review: Jurisdiction Denied

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Jurisdiction Denied

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jurisdiction Denied" by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt is a riveting legal drama filled with intrigue, drug peddling, and several murders. Beyond that readers are given an in-depth and thought-provoking look at a crumbling justice system being brought to its knees by misguided new-age law enforcement philosophies.

Sylmar Juvenile Judge Marty Goldstein laments about the new rules that limit his ability to do his job efficiently. Though he is somewhat aware of the disorder that surrounds his juvenile hall, he has no idea of the depths of depravity and the sinister activities that have taken over the hall once again. Tipped off by a court case he was presiding over, he decides to investigate, but with the surveillance equipment and footage manipulated, will he ever find out what’s been going on and who is behind it? To add to his problems, an old enemy, he and his deputy district attorney, brought down a couple of years ago is back on the rise. Knowing that it’s only a matter of time before their enemies exert revenge, he and his deputy stay on the lookout for any signs of trouble. However, despite their caution, their enemy is slowly closing in on them; will the judge and his deputy D. A remain unscathed? On the other side of the plane, Hilda, a femme fatale who has ties to the North Korean drug cartel is out on a killing spree. Hoping to cut ties with her employees, she hopes the successful completion of her final mission will do just that. But, what's her last assignment about? And, will her employers agree to let her go? Given the slew of murder victims she’s left in her wake, will the police ever capture the elusive Hilda?

One of the first things that stood out to me while reading this novel was the bold, unhinged, and sometimes hilarious thoughts of the first-person narrator (Judge Barry Goldstein). His intellectual musings and discussions with other characters made me appreciate the significance and merit of the arguments presented against specific bills passed into law that afford criminals lesser and lesser consequences for their actions. It was interesting to learn how the bills were worded in such a way that would appeal to the public, yet the results of such bills were anything but beneficial to the safety of the general public and for those working in law enforcement.

Judge Marty Goldstein is a highly complex, multidimensional character with a strong personality. His voice came across as authentic: his self-awareness and acknowledgment of his own bias and sometimes hypocritical ways made him a believable and fascinating character. Marty’s deputy district attorney, Nathan Bartholomew, is a brilliant, astute, no-nonsense character who brought so much life into the courtroom sessions by expertly dissecting the offenders’ defense. Hilda, who I liked to call Madame Serial Killer, is ruthless and selfish; however, even though we get a glimpse of her backstory, she’s not a well-fleshed out character. Despite that, her role adds a certain level of thrill and intensity to the story. I nervously held my breath whenever her story came into focus as I wondered who her next target/ victim would be.

Through the judge’s narration, I got a deep understanding of the inner workings of the justice system. What’s more, I liked that the story and the authors writing style allowed me to dive into the unfiltered thoughts of the judge whether he was in the confines of his private office space or the courtroom deliberating a case. All of this added much more insight on different aspects of the story and of course the main character. The narrative also alternated focus between the judge’s first-person narration to the stories of Hilda, the assassin, and a few other characters. Hilda’s account and encounters with the other characters were written in third-person. I loved how the parallel plots came together towards the end to create a thrilling, action-packed moment.

Another significant aspect of this book is that the authors incorporated some real court cases into the narrative (the names of those involved were changed). All the legal terms and abbreviation used in the story were defined, which made it easy to follow and understand the proceedings and the roles of those present.

This novel is well-written, the narrator’s theatrics and play on words were entertaining. The plot was captivating and the excellent description of characters and place added life to the story. The valuable information about the more recent policies and their effect on the justice system is an integral part of this narrative. I also liked that some public figures (Jerry Brown, Kamala Harris, Shirley Weber, etc) involved in pushing for some of the bills were mentioned. I also found it interesting that Brock Turner’s case was mentioned in passing because I was already familiar with so many details about that case.

Though Jurisdiction Denied is the second book in the Jurisdiction Series, it can be read as a standalone. I read this book without having read the first book, and there was not a moment that I felt confused or lost; the authors provided a little bit of a back story and this narrative, for the most part, flowed independent of the first novel/ story.

The only criticism I have about this novel is there seemed to be an instance of repetition where it just seemed like the judge was venting and reiterating the same thing. Another is that I did find numerous errors that must have slipped through editing, such as the use of ‘then’ where it should be ‘than’, ‘how’ instead of has, ‘new’ instead of ‘knew’ and the use of a symbol in place of a comma. I, therefore, rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the debate of ‘incarceration versus rehabilitation’. Those into legal dramas and crime novels will also appreciate this one.

Jurisdiction Denied
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

This seems to be a thrilling murder story. I think the author's incorporation of real court cases is just so intriguing and makes this novel to stand out. Thank you for this elaborate review
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

That's great that the author incorporated some real-life court cases. Real-life experiences can often make a story seem more authentic. Great review!
metiona
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by metiona »

This was amazing, it felt very real as it included real events that happened. A very good book, definitely recommend!!!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Jurisdiction Denied is not the type of book that I typically read, but it definitely sounds like the authors put a lot of work into making everything that happens in the story detailed and authentic. I especially like how you described the character of the judge.

Your review was engaging and very thorough. Thank you!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

I like that 'drug peedling and murders', it could make the novel extra interesting.
TripToAfter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triptoafter.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by TripToAfter »

This is a very thorough review. Thank you for writing it!

I didn’t much pay attention in history class because I found the presentation of the information dull. So I like books with historical references or references to real life issues that’re made exciting. This book seems like it would shed a lot of light on the workings of the justice system and of criminals, too.
Find a fluffy corner somewhere and stick yourself there for a while. Don't forget to bring entertainment, preferably something with pages. And words. :wink:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The information about the wording of a bill is amazing. I like how your review describes the plot and the characters. This looks like an intriguing series. Thanks so much.
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

This book sounds like something I would love. As a failed law student, I will appreciate the real jargon and cases. The murder and excitement won't hurt either. Great review :evil:
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a very interesting and exciting thriller... unique as well, and I also like the inclusion of public figures in the justice system in the story. Your review has intrigued me, and I think I will have to check this one out. Thank you for your thorough and excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Once I read John Grisham books, I found court rooms quite interesting. I don't know whether the plot of Jurisdiction Denied was that good. According to your detailed review, I feel like it is almost there. Thank you.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I really appreciate books that graft real life in the story. This book captures the daily struggles of law enforcement, lawers and judges. I really enjoyed your review.

Great review.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

I love diving into killing spree stories, in books and movies! This review sounds really good. I hope if i am allowed to read it it will make me less as well!
amjohnson13
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I would like to read about the evolving social ethos that result in legal challenges for Judge Marty Goldstein. I’d like to know how he presides a case having manipulated evidence. Thanks for the review.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Seems to be quite an interesting book. A continuous struggle between law making agencies and criminal world. Would check it. Thanks for a nice review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”