Official Review: Cyberwarefare by Pendelton C. Wallace

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Cyberwarefare by Pendelton C. Wallace

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cyberwarefare" by Pendelton C. Wallace.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cyberwarfare, by Pendelton C. Wallace, is book six in the Ted Higuera series. It is a fiction adventure novel. Although I haven’t read the previous books, this one can be read as a stand-alone. There are only a few times I wished I had background knowledge of the other books.

Ted Higuera is a cyber-security analyst. He is currently helping run an organization to help women while the owner, Caterina Flaherty, is out of the country. His knowledge of the Internet and its background, gets him tangled up in a deadly plot. A team of terrorists, led by a Microsoft employee, hack into major utilities, stock markets, vehicles and even home appliances in an attempt to destroy the USA’s economy. The head of the terrorist organization, Samir, frames Ted for the acts of terrorism. Ted is taken by the NSA and must rely on his friends and team of detectives to clear his name and stop the real terrorists.

This story is an action-packed thriller. It is a scary look at what could actually happen if terrorists try to take down the United States using the Internet. The potential danger to our society is real. I was so engrossed in the twists and turns of this book, that I didn’t want to put it down.

The story is very character-driven. Ted Higuera is a computer genius. He is a strong individual - coping with his son being withheld from him, heading an organization helping combat violence against women, and trying to stop the manipulation of the Internet. His friends are supportive and believable characters on their own. His good friend, Bear, is a genius and hero for helping save Ted. They couldn’t have done it without the help of his lawyer friend, Chris, and the very capable lady detective, Mary Beth. I was thoroughly engaged and rooted for these characters. Even the antagonist, Samir, is shown having two sides. He has a wife and children that are kept in the dark about his true nature.

It would have been helpful if I had read the other books in the series to have more knowledge of the characters, but it didn’t hinder me from totally enjoying this book. The book appears to be professionally edited. I only noticed a few grammatical errors. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I feel it will appeal to fans of action and suspense. I would not recommend it to younger readers, due to a torture scene. I look forward to reading the previous books in the series, as well as any future ones from this author.

Cyberwarefare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

It's good this book can standalone. They should have included a background story to ease the flow of the story. I still wonder why USA is always the target in these cyber crime stories. LOL
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

The plot of this book is something as an American is at the back if our mind. It seems there are endless angles to breach the peace of American society. The characters of this book and the men and women of American armed forces fight to reatain our freedom.

Great review.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I'm glad you enjoyed this novel. This kind of tech plot is not usually my cup of tea, though I know some people who may enjoy it. I'll keep it mind to recommend. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

What an interesting premise for a story. The idea that what the terrorists do in this book is entirely plausible and can actually happen is quite terrifying. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Now this one sounds interesting. The Internet is surely becoming so powerful and unstoppable. The consequences of cyber crime, which have already begun manifesting, are dire and unfathomable. Thank you for such insightful review.
TinyikoS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinyikos.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by TinyikoS »

I'm always amazed at the power of the internet ..sounds like an amazing book..
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This does sound like a plot picked out of the headlines. We are all so dependent on our gadgets and don't realize how vulnerable we are because of it. I would be interested in reading this book and the series. Thanks for the recommendation.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Team of terrorist led by a Microsoft employee. Your description does not sound like fiction to me. Maybe it is based on a real story!
I do not think I Would enjoy this book. There are more than enough cypercrime stories. But thanks for the Review.
amjohnson13
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is probably one of those books that would be scary because you felt like it could actually happen. Those books and movies terrify me the most, so I probably won't read it. Great job with the review, though. Sounds like a great book for those that like that kind of thing.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It reminds me of Tom Clancy novels but set in the present. I probably shouldn't laugh, but Samir being a Microsoft employee is really funny to me when you consider just how prevalent Microsoft is in our lives.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

This one sounds like a goodie and your thorough review of it is impressive. The plot is scarily close to our reality these days, which means it goes straight onto my want to read list!
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”