Official Review: Cruel and Unusual by Erik Dean

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TripToAfter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triptoafter.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Re: Official Review: Cruel and Unusual by Erik Dean

Post by TripToAfter »

Ooo! I’m hooked, I think. I love collections of short stories, and I love horror and dark themes. This sounds like quite the trip. Thank you for the very well-written review. I think I’m going to have to look this one up.
Find a fluffy corner somewhere and stick yourself there for a while. Don't forget to bring entertainment, preferably something with pages. And words. :wink:
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

It isn't often that we see small collections of short stories. This one sounds like a very good read. Thanks for the thorough review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

Macabre and humorous sounds delightful! A vary thorough, interesting review, friend!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 10 May 2019, 13:20 Oh my. This reminds me of some of the horror and horror adjacent anime I've watched over the years (not many but they have a similar sensibility). The first and last stories sound particularly interesting and imaginative, though the last one also reminds me of the Wheel of Misery from the Kakos Industries podcast. Definitely sounds worth checking out.
The stories were definitely imaginative and not as horrific or gruesome as some might expect from this genre. Sounds like you know this genre well. I hope that you do check these stories out and would love to know what you think about them. Thank you so much for your comments!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

TripToAfter wrote: 10 May 2019, 17:58 Ooo! I’m hooked, I think. I love collections of short stories, and I love horror and dark themes. This sounds like quite the trip. Thank you for the very well-written review. I think I’m going to have to look this one up.
Thank you so much, TriptoAfter, for your comments! If horror and darkness is your forte, I think these short stories will certainly appeal to you. Hope that you enjoy them as much as I did!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 11 May 2019, 14:48 It isn't often that we see small collections of short stories. This one sounds like a very good read. Thanks for the thorough review!
Yes, I was pleased to happen upon this collection. And being in this genre, a short story format was perfect. Thank you so much, sarahmarlowe, for stopping in and commenting!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Janelle Juncos wrote: 11 May 2019, 20:39 Macabre and humorous sounds delightful! A vary thorough, interesting review, friend!
I know, right- what a juxtaposition! But it worked. I always enjoy when you stop by. Thank you so much for your comments! :)
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I like the overall tone of this book. I like the four short stories. They give you one adventure after another.

Great review.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Quickstudy wrote: 12 May 2019, 22:00 I like the overall tone of this book. I like the four short stories. They give you one adventure after another.

Great review.
You are right, quickstudy, it was one adventure after another. The four short stories were exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much for stopping in and commenting!
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

These stories sound familiar. Were they based off a TV show? The wheel sounds like something I saw on Netflix not too long ago. Maybe this book is where Netflix got the idea.
amjohnson13
c4bersg1rl
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl »

Intriguing that the antagonists in the four short stories received their comeuppance. The similarities with Twilight Zone are interesting as I LOVED that show growing up. I like short stories for those days when I need to read something but do not have enough time to immerse myself in a long book; like when I'm at a doctor's office.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

amjohnson13mommy wrote: 14 May 2019, 15:37 These stories sound familiar. Were they based off a TV show? The wheel sounds like something I saw on Netflix not too long ago. Maybe this book is where Netflix got the idea.
Good question. I haven't seen any reference to that. But the wheel is an unusual idea. Now I am curious to find the TV show you mention and see if there are similarities. Thank you so much for reading my review and for commenting!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

c4bersg1rl wrote: 14 May 2019, 16:18 Intriguing that the antagonists in the four short stories received their comeuppance. The similarities with Twilight Zone are interesting as I LOVED that show growing up. I like short stories for those days when I need to read something but do not have enough time to immerse myself in a long book; like when I'm at a doctor's office.
Yes, I was also a big fan of the Twilight Zone and still catch myself immersed in some of the occasional reruns. I think you would definitely enjoy this read! Thank you so much for reading my review and for your comments.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Sorry I cannot remember the series name. It is a Netflix original though.
I had to ask because two of the stories sounded like episodes I saw on Netflix. If I remember the name of the series I will let you know since you seem interested, alright?
amjohnson13
c4bersg1rl
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl »

Bluebird03 wrote: 15 May 2019, 11:03
c4bersg1rl wrote: 14 May 2019, 16:18 Intriguing that the antagonists in the four short stories received their comeuppance. The similarities with Twilight Zone are interesting as I LOVED that show growing up. I like short stories for those days when I need to read something but do not have enough time to immerse myself in a long book; like when I'm at a doctor's office.
Yes, I was also a big fan of the Twilight Zone and still catch myself immersed in some of the occasional reruns. I think you would definitely enjoy this read! Thank you so much for reading my review and for your comments.
I decided that I would just go ahead and get the book. I will have to read it after others. So many books, so little time. Thanks! :tiphat:
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. - Princess Diana

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”