Official Review: Paint Her Dead by Wanda Shelton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Official Review: Paint Her Dead by Wanda Shelton

Post by Julehart1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paint Her Dead" by Wanda Shelton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paint Her Dead is a murder mystery written by Wanda Shelton. The main character, Leah Dawson, is very excited to attend an art workshop in Maine and have a fun week of painting, relaxing, and eating gourmet food. She is also happy to get away from her creepy ex-boyfriend, John Phelps, who has been stalking her after she dumped him. At the workshop, Leah meets Nate Parker, who is actually a single undercover FBI agent looking to catch an art thief. Leah is immediately drawn to him, and the attraction is definitely mutual. However, his cover is that he’s married and is attending the art workshop with his supposed wife. Leah is determined to stay away from him because she’s not about to get into a relationship with a married man. She loves the peace and tranquillity at the Rocky Ledge Inn. Unfortunately, the soothing atmosphere dissipates immediately after she walks on the beach near the inn and finds a dead body of a woman who was also attending the art workshop. But, who was this woman really? What did she uncover that led to her death? Who wanted to silence her? How is Leah’s crazy ex-boyfriend involved? Are there more deaths to follow? Find out in this suspenseful and twisted thriller.

I really enjoyed the book’s premise and the plot containing the murder mystery. The story moved at a brisk pace that flowed very naturally. The twists and turns made for an exciting whodunnit story. I liked figuring out who the killer actually was, and there were plenty of suspects. In fact, I did uncover the killer before the big reveal, but it did not ruin the story or the mystery for me at all. I just suspected this character almost from the beginning and happened to be right. The reveal of the killer was well done and satisfying.

I also appreciated that despite the seriousness of the murder mystery, there were still some lighthearted moments and a fun romance between the main characters. They were both very likable and believable in their attraction to each other. They were well-developed characters, and as a reader, I really wanted everything to work out for them in the end.

Unfortunately, not everything in the book worked. I realize that this is a work of fiction, but some things that happened were just illogical. It was really hard to believe that people who stayed at the inn would be fine with the doors to their rooms not locking from the outside. It was especially baffling that this continued after the murder happened. People should have wanted multiple locks on their doors after that. Also, it was very strange how even with an art thief and a murderer on the loose, Leah and all the other characters continued the art workshop. Everyone was in danger of being killed, and their solution was just to continue to paint and hope Nate and the rest of the FBI save everyone. The way people were reacting to certain situations just wasn’t realistic at all.

I’m rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really liked the murder mystery and the pacing of the novel. There were twists and action mixed with lighthearted and romantic moments that made the book mostly an engaging and delightful read. The novel was also very professionally edited. I’m taking a star away because there were some elements of the plot and a few reactions of certain characters that weren’t realistic or logical. Still, the story was written well for the most part, and I appreciated that there was a satisfying resolution. I would recommend this book to people who love murder mysteries with a little romance thrown in.

Paint Her Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Julehart1's review? Post a comment saying so!
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Mysteries are usually captivating - more like read-in-one-sitting. I like how you distinctively state what you like and dislike about Paint Her Head - it makes your review quite professional. Well-done!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Ah, I love a good mystery! I used to devour Nancy Drew novels when I was a kid. Shelton's Paint Her Dead sounds like a very engaging story, though I think, like you said, the unrealistic responses of the characters to situations that would naturally freak people out would take away some of the believability and enjoyment for me. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Since when does any lodging like that have doors that don't lock? Still, it sounds like and interesting story. Like you, I would appreciate the more light-hearted moments. Thanks so much for introducing us to this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

It seems that thorough investigations were carried out to single out the perpetrator. From your wonderful review, I think I can enjoy this one. Thank you for giving us an overview!
TripToAfter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triptoafter.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by TripToAfter »

I love mystery and trying to figure out who the antagonist is when there are lots of possibilities. I’ve been reading too many stories where the reader is the only one hip to the villain’s plans. So this book might be a good one to check out. Thanks for the great review!
Find a fluffy corner somewhere and stick yourself there for a while. Don't forget to bring entertainment, preferably something with pages. And words. :wink:
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I love a good mystery. This books plot is intriguing. It may have been done before, but the oldest plots seem to be the best. I can't wait to find out who done it.
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

Just as you said, the characters would have tightened their security after a lady was murdered near the Inn. Apart from this dislocation, the story is a compelling read. Great review.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

I find that not all murder mysteries stories are completely logical. I think that is part of the fun of it. There may be twists and turns that when explained I think I didn't see that one coming.
And the locks issue, I have seen shows where the doors only lock from the inside. Is that what not counts? Then you can lock it while you are in the room or leaving. Or did I misunderstand what you were trying to say?
amjohnson13
Karishma Sivnath
Favorite Book: Unexpected Enemy
Currently Reading: Walking Disaster
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karishma-sivnath.html
Latest Review: Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle

Post by Karishma Sivnath »

Great review. I'm adding this book to my reading list - hopefully I'll get to read it soon!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”