Official Review: Lightwarriors by Brian L. Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Lightwarriors by Brian L. Jackson

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lightwarriors" by Brian L. Jackson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lightwarriors, by Brian L. Jackson, is a sci-fi story that revolves around Charlene "Charlie" MacLeod. She was born with the power of pyrokinesis. This made her and her family a target for the NSA, as they aimed to capture and weaponize her. Following the death of her parents, Charlie connected with and was adopted by David McAuliffe and his wife, Catherine, who also had powers. David teaches Charlie about the origin of their powers and the existence of "Lightwarriors" who use their powers to protect human life from "Dark Knights" who look down on normal humans and use their powers to satisfy their selfish desires. Together, Charlie, David, and Catherine attempt to evade being captured by the NSA and the "Dark Knights." Revelations about the extent of Charlie's powers are made, and she realizes that she is destined for much more than living on the run. Can she reach her true potential?

Lightwarriors was quite an emotional, empowering, and thought-provoking read for me. It will be very easy for readers to connect to the main character, Charlie, as readers will follow her journey from the point of her delivery. The readers will experience her struggle with controlling her powers and the dangers her powers pose to her. We follow her as she struggles to retain her innocence as a child despite being exposed to an abnormal life and how wicked the world can be. The strong start to the story, as the author dives straight into the action, is bound to keep readers hooked to the story as well.

The author does a very good job in character development and character description. It also helped that too many characters weren't included in the story, and this ensures that the story won't be complex for readers, with regards to telling the difference between the characters. The main characters are given likable features but also have bad sides, and the reader will enjoy seeing the main characters grow and how events affect them and their decisions later in the story. The villains, especially Eric Kain (the leader of the "Dark Knights"), were also easy to connect to, as I understood their goals and motivations. Eric's sense of humor and thought-provoking statements and questions made me question a lot of what I believe. He questions the meaning of good and evil and talks about how humans tend to justify wars and all the lies we tell ourselves to believe that we are not evil. My only issue with respect to the characters was how little Catherine's role was throughout the story. It was very easy to forget that she was a part of the story at times.

Furthermore, reading Lightwarriors felt like reading two books compressed into one. Parts of the story followed Charlie and her father's journey as they tried to evade the NSA before her father was killed. The other part follows Charlie's journey with David and Catherine after the death of her father. However, the book kept alternating between the two parts. This was quite confusing at times, and I would have preferred a chronological arrangement of the events in the book or putting both parts in separate books. With respect to editing, I would say that Lightwarriors is not well edited. Even though most of the errors I found were minor errors, they occurred too frequently.

Overall, Lightwarriors was an enjoyable read. The story was quite long though, but I barely noticed it as it was fast-paced and filled with a lot of action and suspenseful scenes. Another theme the book explored was revenge and forgiveness, as we follow Charlie's struggles with confronting those that wronged her and her family. I enjoy reading sci-fi novels, and I'm pleased to say that Lightwarriors didn't disappoint. The different themes explored in the book brought something different from what I've read in other sci-fi stories. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book's editing convinced me against giving maximum stars. Besides that, I would recommend Lightwarriors to lovers of sci-fi and mystery stories.

Lightwarriors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Charlie's journey sounds so captivating. It's the kind of book I'd enjoy reading. Thanks for the review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like an engaging read. The cover of the book caught my eye as well :) I would like to give this story a try, although I too find annoying when two story lines are mixed in one book. Thank you for this great review!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Your description of how there are two stories in one interested me. I have read books where this was successfully done and books where it didn't work. It sounds like this was one where it was confusing. I guess the author should have stayed chronological.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the editing, but I appreciate how well done the characters are. It sounds like an interesting premise; one that I'm going to have to look into further. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Charlie sounds like she would have to be a very strong person to deal with the loneliness that might come along with having special powers. Sounds like a captivating story!

Great review!
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

The story seems interesting, even though the book appears not to be in chronological order. Further editing will be better, your review is great.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

Reminds me of the mutants in X-Men series. I can see how poor minuscule errors can affect the reading process.Thank you for the detailed review.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

This sounds like an enjoyable sci-fi read. I love a book with good character development and description. I might have to check this book out. Thanks for the review!
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

I didn't see 'Lightwarriors' coming. That's a fresh one. I wouldn't mind another vengeance story. Your review is detailed and excellent.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I am not quite the sci-fi nerd that other people in my life are. The quality of the story has to be pretty high for me to enjoy it, like Star Wars good. This one probably isn't for me, but I'll keep it in mind for other people. Thanks for the awesome review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This story sounds intriguing and, since I like science fiction, I will have to add it to my list of books to read. Thanks for a great review!
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Science fiction is usually intriguing, perhaps this one offers the same thrill and action. By the sound of your review, this was truly interesting.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I think I'd enjoy this according to the book description you gave. Although I may struggle with the flipping between stories within the book. I usually find this annoying if it's not done really well. Thanks for the review!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like a sci-fi book with a new twist. Your comment about the pages flying by is high praise for the author's writing. This looks good. Thanks for your interesting review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”