Official Review: Native Trouble by Mark Reps

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Native Trouble by Mark Reps

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Native Trouble" by Mark Reps.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Native Trouble by Mark Reps follows the bewildering actions of a group of criminals in a town near the America-Mexico border.

For Zeb Hanks, the campaigning for the upcoming elections is a tedious task which he is unwilling to undertake. Unlike other elections, his chances of winning this time are dwindling by the day. Instances of crime have fraught the town and his team is struggling to keep up with the perpetrators. The first incidence is a school-shooting prank that leaves everyone on edge. At first, it appears that some students may be behind the chilling event but as the crime rate continues to rise, Zeb begins to realize that there could be a political agenda behind the chaos.

I liked the dialogues in the book as they are full of humor and hence, entertaining. Zeb interrogates various town citizens in a bid to solve the crimes. The victims are a colorful and delightful group of characters. They are eccentric and their expressions are what would be expected from ordinary town residents. Their flawed perceptions and traits create their authenticity. The dialogues help in moving the story forward as they reveal different aspects of the town and its people.

I also liked the pace of the plot which makes the book a page-turner. The story is fast-paced and it remains engaging to the end. Some action scenes are comical such as when the criminals attack a pawn and loan shop. They rob the owner at gunpoint but in the end, they throw the money into the air and leave. A few scenes are gripping and death-dealing and each crime is quickly followed by another. After the pawn and loan shop incidence, the criminals strike again at a care center.

The chapters are clearly titled and the language is accessible to readers. The conversations and words used are easy to grasp which makes the book appealing to even a younger audience. However, the plot and the aim of the criminals are overly simplified and from the beginning, it is easy to predict the outcome of the story for readers familiar with stories on crime.

The conflict started in the book is also not solved in the end which makes the story less appealing. Even though it is part of a series, the conflict in the book could still have been addressed and the following books could focus on different storylines.

Native Trouble by Mark Reps is professionally edited and I did not identify any errors. It is an engaging read for lovers of crime stories. Readers who prefer stand-alone stories may not enjoy the book. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Native Trouble
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I like how thorough, yet brief, your review is; That being a skill I have not perfected myself. Too bad the storyline is generic; the book sounds interesting otherwise.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Great review. The book sounds intriguing. I'll add it to my list.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad this one is so fast-paced. The characters sound intriguing, too. It's a bit disappointing that the plot isn't wrapped up, but I guess you just have to go from one to the next. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I don't like characters that don't have a credible agenda for the things they do. The predictability of the events can be a bit boring. Sounds like this book could use some work in these aspects. Great review, thanks for pointing out the flaws!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

While I love crime and mystery stories, this one seems to fall somewhat short on execution. This one is not for me right now. Thanks for your excellent review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like books that have humor written into the dialogue, but I don't like books that don't resolve the conflict in the book. Therefore, I probably will not be reading this book. Thanks for a wonderful review, though!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Politics and crime on the border, sounds familiar! It would be interesting to see where the author plans to take this series. The book has some weak spots but might be worth the effort. Thanks.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

I enjoyed how thorough and compelling your review was. It sounds like a book worth checking out. Thanks for the review.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”