Official Review: Life Bewitched by Pin Osuji

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Official Review: Life Bewitched by Pin Osuji

Post by gen_g »

Vscholz wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 14:13 I reviewed this book at the beginning of the year, and I agree with a lot of your criticisms. I recall enjoying it despite the multitude of issues (the gender swap of one child). I do hope he revises this memoir because it really is a compelling story.
I 100% agree; it was definitely enjoyable, but much too short! Like you mentioned, I hope that he revises and fleshes out this memoir, since it is quite the story! Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it. (:
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I agree with almost all the points you have raised about this book. The story had a lot of potential, but it wasn't utilized well by the author. You write so well!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Samy Lax wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 23:13 I agree with almost all the points you have raised about this book. The story had a lot of potential, but it wasn't utilized well by the author. You write so well!
Indeed, like you said, I really hope that the author will flesh out the story in his next editing. Thank you for your compliment, and also, thank you for stopping by! (:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

This is the first time I'm coming across a book like this. Such a pity it lacks detail. Thanks for the review.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Adedayo+23 wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 12:22 This is the first time I'm coming across a book like this. Such a pity it lacks detail. Thanks for the review.
Pity, indeed! Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Black magic is scary. I believe there are creatures (some of them are people) who practice it. Woe to those who gain their disfavor! I wonder how effective Pin's kit is and who taught him to make it.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 11:10 Black magic is scary. I believe there are creatures (some of them are people) who practice it. Woe to those who gain their disfavor! I wonder how effective Pin's kit is and who taught him to make it.
Me too! He mentions that his kit (made with the help of a White Witch - another lack of detail here) was able to bring back his family, but he leaves no other details. :eusa-think: Thanks for stopping by, Miriam!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

The book sounds disappointing in spite of a unique premise. I hate to see assumptions without substantial supporting evidence behind it,so probably won't go for this one.thanks for the honest review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 05:18 The book sounds disappointing in spite of a unique premise. I hate to see assumptions without substantial supporting evidence behind it,so probably won't go for this one.thanks for the honest review!
I absolutely agree! Still, I hope that the author will flesh out the story, since it has such an interesting premise. Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

The title sounded intriguing, but I am disappointed with the lack of a professional editor. Thank you for a very thorough and fascinating review. Great job! :)
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

You have written an excellent review, especially considering the brevity of the book. Great job!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It sucks when this happens but I hope Osuji works with an editor to improve this as it sounds like it could be a really good book and guide.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The plot is interesting but fell short of expectations due to short length. Hope the author would provides some more details about the story in his next edition. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Bluebird03 wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 15:22 The title sounded intriguing, but I am disappointed with the lack of a professional editor. Thank you for a very thorough and fascinating review. Great job! :)
Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment! The book will definitely benefit much from a professional editor.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 17:28 You have written an excellent review, especially considering the brevity of the book. Great job!
Thank you for the compliment, and thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”