Official Review: Steinburg by Douglass K. Davies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Steinburg by Douglass K. Davies

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Steinburg" by Douglass K. Davies.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Throughout their history, Jews have had to face many challenges simply because of their identity. Sidney Eli Steinburg (Sid), as a young boy, watched the brutal murder of his father by Nazi soldiers. Left under the care of his mother (Kaylah), they fled to Switzerland for safety. Could Sid overcome his fears and trauma and make something meaningful out of his life?

Steinburg; The Road to Amsterdam is a novel written by Douglass K. Davies. The first chapter of the book ushers the reader to the adult life of Sid. As the founder of Capital Studios (a movie-making enterprise in Hollywood), Sid is determined to produce more than just great movies. His eyes are fixed on owning the world’s most sophisticated satellite system (ICON). Why would a moviemaker be interested in such a system? The author unveils Sid’s mission to own ICON in 52 well-written chapters.

I loved the development of the characters in the book. Sid is the main character who develops from a traumatized kid (given in the prologue of the book) to a wealthy entrepreneur who is determined to get the most advanced tech device in the satellite business. His attention to the satellite system draws many enemies towards him, including the Defense Secretary of America (Weissman). The world’s leading group of trained assassins, Scorpion, also found a slot in Sid’s list of enemies. The CIA takes a major role in unveiling the mess that surrounds Capital Studios because of Sid’s pursuit of the satellite system.

I loved how the author used Capital Studios as the launching pad for Steinburg’s higher goal. David Mitchell, Sid’s loyal employee, gave Steinburg his undivided attention. Another notable character was Thomas Dearns, Sid’s finance director and confidante. However, my favorite character was Templeton, Sid’s Chief of Security. Having served in the Secret Service, and with many years of experience as a member of the security team of England’s royal family, his experience and expertise were challenged by the threat that Sid’s enemies constantly posed on his life. I had chills when one of the assassins proved to be more powerful than he was. All his operations really triggered an adrenaline drill in me. The author’s creativity and his mastery of fine prose made Templeton’s encounters to leap off the page and grip my heart in an amazing way. I must commend him for that.

I really liked the author’s ability to build suspense and maintain it throughout the book. Although the novel is quite long (500+ pages), reading it was enjoyable. I actually found myself wanting to read more about the adventures of Capital Studios, the fate of the Defense Secretary, and the fate of the lead scientists in the ICON project. I hope the author writes a sequel to the book.

Due to his ability to grab my attention throughout the book in such a beautiful way, I gave Davies’ Steinburg: The Road to Amsterdam 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited. However, I noted a few minor errors. For lovers of action-packed suspense-driven novels, you do not want to miss this one.

Steinburg
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. I honestly can't imagine recovering after watching something so traumatizing as my parents' death. It sounds like Sid is able to make something of himself, though. I'm glad this one was so gripping; I'll have to try it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Oh God! what a terrible experience. I am please to read this review as it excites me to give it a quick read.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

This sounds like an inspiring thriller. Never read one of those before, but I have a feeling that this might be a good place to start! (Maybe the only place.)
Thanks for the review. :tiphat:
IamShing

Post by IamShing »

Thriller books are very nice they give you a sense of action
IamShing

Post by IamShing »

This type of book makes me think of how strong people can be.. very impressive
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Sounds like a story of the triumph of human spirit. How absolutely wonderful! I am glad you enjoyed it so much, thanks for this review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

It's pretty impressive when an author can keep a reader engaged for over 500 pages!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Regardless of which side onslaughts are coming from, atrocities are always bleak. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

This definitely sounds like a worthy read. Thank you for your insightful and enthusiastic opinion with this review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow! A character that not only overcame such a harrowing experience but thrived afterward sound very interesting. The premise is different from other books I've read about children who survived Nazi Germany and I'm quite intrigued by the satellite issue. I'll definitely add this book to my to-read shelf.
Thank you for your compelling review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”