Official Review: Fire by Scott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Official Review: Fire by Scott

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fire" by Scott.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fire by Scott is a non-fiction story about a bounty hunter from Texas who offers his services to God. His prayers are answered, and he finds himself on a spiritual journey against the evil Church of Satan. It all started with the abduction of Suzie Mages, a twelve-year-old girl who was waiting for her mother at a laundromat. Scott had just learned one of his acquaintances, Mark Hail, was a pedophile. He and his wife are convinced he had something to do with it. When the police announce a reward to anyone who had information on the case, Scott can finally get involved as a bounty hunter to catch the perpetrator. During his investigation, he uncovers the hidden hand of the Church of Satan on the abduction. This is just the start of his life as an instrument of God's will and his role in the battle of Good versus Evil.

This novel had me hooked from the very first page. I was expecting a book with an investigative approach to the little girl's murder laced with Christian values. I like stories about unsolved crimes, so I was excited. The book is written from a first-person perspective and has very little dialogue. I would say it has the structure of a memoir. It almost feels like Scott is sitting with you at a coffee shop telling his story. The author certainly knows his way with words. He makes smooth transitions between chapters. This keeps the reader interested. The story is very intriguing, especially at the beginning where all the action is building up. Unfortunately, my excitement died out as I kept reading.

It all started when I realized the poor girl's name was misspelled through the whole novel. Her real name was Suzie, not Susie. It seems like a small thing but, considering this is a true story, it matters. Scott was supposed to be an investigator, so I took this misspelling as a flaw in his work. This started to distract me from the story, but I was not yet discouraged. As I continued reading, I discovered the investigation on the murder was not the focal point of the story. The real focus was Scott's investigation to reveal the Church of Satan's secrets. Suzie's case was just a catalyst. When the book took this direction, it became more and more disturbing.

The novel started to look more like the ramblings of a madman. Everywhere he turned, Scott would see signs and symbols of Satanism. It felt like I was reading the story of a paranoid man instead of the account of an investigation. He even dared to suggest Del Mages, Suzie's father, was involved in her murder just because of his name. Del is the name of the upside-down triangle of the Satanic cross and Mages is the plural of the word mage (witch or sorcerer). Considering Del Mages is the father of a little girl who got murdered, I wonder if this book is ethical at all. Imagine having your child killed, and then someone publishes in a book that you killed her just because of your name. And this is just an example of all the hidden signs Scott bases his war on.

Scott proudly talks about how he would send threats by mail to people he believed were Satanists. Anyone who didn't agree with him was either a Satanist or belonged to the Illuminati. He acts like he is above the law because he is on a mission from God. If government officials approached him because of his violations, it was because Satan sent them. The author also engages in hate speech towards homosexuals and lesbians. This enraged me to no end. I couldn't believe it.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. It's an entertaining story. Unfortunately, I can't stand hate speech towards anyone. I'm all in for freedom of speech and religion, but the views expressed in this book don't belong to a true Christian's values. It's even worse when Homosexuals are insulted but a pedophile gets compassion from the author. Are pedophiles better than homosexuals? Really? Furthermore, the book contained many grammatical errors. It doesn't seem like it was edited on a professional level. People who agree with this type of view will definitely enjoy this book. Conspiracy theorists might also like it. If you don't like hate speech, steer away from it and don't lose your time.

Fire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jennifer Fernandez's review? Post a comment saying so!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm taking your word on this one and steering clear. Thanks for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Well this sounded good at the start with the author's conversational tone and ability to build the action. There is far too much disdain for other people in this book, unwarranted disdain, so I will not be reading this one.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Great review. I agree hate speech has no place in a decent world. Hating someone for how they are born (or based on their name) is completely unjustifiable.
bdkcu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdkcu.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by bdkcu »

Wow. Thanks for the honest opinion about the actual focus of the book and the other issues (editing/proofreading, etc). I also enjoy true crime stories, but the ramblings, unfounded accusations, and the author's misplaced pride in his own hatred would make this so unappealing as to be unreadable. Congrats on being able to finish it!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

To be perfectly honest, I am still trying to get over the fact that this is a non-fiction book. Thank you for your honest review, I have no interest in this book.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I'm surprised this is non-fiction! I will not be reading this book, thank you for your honest review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Wow. This guy sounds like a jerk. Thanks for the honest review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

AmySmiles wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 14:05 I'm taking your word on this one and steering clear. Thanks for the honest review.
Thank you for stopping by!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

kfwilson6 wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 15:14 Well this sounded good at the start with the author's conversational tone and ability to build the action. There is far too much disdain for other people in this book, unwarranted disdain, so I will not be reading this one.
Yes. As you read further and further into the book, things get crazier. The homophobic comments where almost at the end. It was like a rotten chery on top of a melting ice-cream.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

joshfee77 wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 17:58 Great review. I agree hate speech has no place in a decent world. Hating someone for how they are born (or based on their name) is completely unjustifiable.
I agree with you. A lot of unwarranted negativity in this book.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

bdkcu wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 20:13 Wow. Thanks for the honest opinion about the actual focus of the book and the other issues (editing/proofreading, etc). I also enjoy true crime stories, but the ramblings, unfounded accusations, and the author's misplaced pride in his own hatred would make this so unappealing as to be unreadable. Congrats on being able to finish it!
I considered stopping, but I decided to finish the mission. The more I read, the more I asked myself why was I still reading it. I must admit that the editing grew better as the book grew crazier.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

daydreaming reader wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 20:25 To be perfectly honest, I am still trying to get over the fact that this is a non-fiction book. Thank you for your honest review, I have no interest in this book.
Well, it's a real crime and apparently, he investigated it. Regardless of all the mystical stuff, the events actually happened and if he believed God was using him somehow it was his belief. I don't believe in God or any entity but I can't call it a fiction because of that.
Cassandra Keeney
Currently Reading: Confessions of a Sociopath
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassandra-keeney.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Cassandra Keeney »

Based on the review, I cannot believe this is a nonfiction book! I also have trouble with hate speech, and I appreciate the honest recommendation. The premise seems interesting, and to be honest I do like the idea of a story that is the ramblings of a madman, but I am glad to know this one is likely not worth my time. Like I said there are some things I just don’t feel comfortable reading and supporting.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.”
-W Somerset Maugham
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I am surprised this is a true story! It does seem like the author has very rigid beliefs. The whole idea of seeing Satan's work and signs and being led by God in solving a real murder mystery has me agreeing that it must sound a bit like the ramblings of a madman. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”