Official Review: Deadly Odds 2.o by Allen Wyler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
D3R3ZZ3D
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d3r3zz3d.html
Latest Review: Blessed in the Midst of the Storm by Monique Lynelle

Official Review: Deadly Odds 2.o by Allen Wyler

Post by D3R3ZZ3D »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deadly Odds 2.o" by Allen Wyler.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arnold Gold is dead, or is he? Palmer Davidson thought the same thing until FBI agent Gary Fisher began presenting evidence to the contrary. Someone has leaked FBI files to Al Jazeera, implicating Gold in the death of Karim Farhad, a known terrorist. Now, a group connected to Farhad is looking for payback on Gold. Can Davidson locate Gold before the terrorists? Will the terrorists be able to carry out the task that Karim could not? Can anything be done to stop them? You'll have to find out by giving Deadly Odds 2.0 a read for yourself.

Deadly Odds 2.0 by Allen Wyler is a thriller novel written in the third-person omniscient perspective. It is the second part of a series sharing the title, Deadly Odds. The main character is Arnold Gold, and secondary characters include Gold's dog, Chance, Palmer Davidson, and Gary Fisher. The primary antagonist of the story is a woman known as Naseem. While the chapters are short, the book is a comfortable length and kept me interested in wanting to know what would happen next. Wyler doesn't talk over your head, even when explaining some of the electronic know-how of Gold, who happens to be very tech-savvy. However, I did experience a couple of times that I needed to read back over something more carefully due to not catching a detail the first time through. Also, I didn't find out until after having read the novel that it was the second part of a series. Discovering this helped me to understand why it felt like I was in the dark on events that happened before this story's beginning.

What I like most about this book are the suspense-filled moments when Gold matches wits against his pursuers. The technological gadgetry, and ways he's able to use multiple surveillance devices to achieve his goals, is very cool. I also find it interesting how well he plans out going into hiding, should the need to make a speedy escape arise. While at the same time, exposing the flaws in such attempts. What I like least about this book is the number of times we go on a potty break with Chance. It's realistic, I'll give it that, but at the same time, it doesn't make for an enjoyable interlude in getting from one scene to the next. Perhaps mentioning it and cutting away to what another character is doing at that time, rather than us going with for every doggie walk, would have been more enjoyable.

I give this book a score of 2 out of 4 stars. The reason I gave it a score of 2 instead of 3 is because of the number of typos, spelling errors, missing words, and inaccurate chapter numbering that I found throughout. I assume that what I read was an early released version of the novel. The author does not appear to have a problem with proper grammar otherwise but didn't put enough time or effort into polishing the book up before releasing it. The reason I gave it a score of 2 instead of 1 is that the book is enjoyable, and Wyler's writing style feels easily accessible to most readers. Also, while it does have its fair share of cussing throughout, it doesn't rely on an oversaturation of sexual content to appeal to its audience.

I would recommend Deadly Odds 2.0 to anyone who likes suspense, terrorism-related plots, technological gadgets, and pets that play a vital role in the novels that they read. I would not suggest it to those who are bothered by cussing or any of the previously listed content.

Deadly Odds 2.o
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Numbers 6:24-26
Zechariah 4:6
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

I can only imagine what would happen if such files were hacked by the wrong people, that's an interesting plot. Let's hope the author will make the changes needed.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It's a pity when a good book is spoiled by a poor presentation, but at least it can be improved. Thank you for a very interesting review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a thriller with a good potential that still needs some important editing work to fully develop it and to do a proper proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”