Official Review: Crone by Maria Mayer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Official Review: Crone by Maria Mayer

Post by AliceofX »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crone" by Maria Mayer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Crone: A Scarlet St. James Novel is written by Maria Mayer. In 1984 a heinous crime took place in Killdeer Park, Michigan. Five teenage boys were viciously murdered. Their remains were scattered throughout the cemetery and the nearby woods. Known as the Unholy 5, they were the town’s troublemakers. Thirty years later their deaths still remain a mystery and now similar murders are being committed. It’s up to Scarlet, a private investigator with psychic abilities, to solve them. She soon begins to suspect that there are supernatural forces behind these events. Her investigation leads her to a witch named Ezurra who haunts the woods.

This is a story that mixes the genres of horror and mystery. The author created a detailed fantasy world with a well-developed mythology. There are also many Christian themes in it as well. It’s not a book that would appeal to the non-religious.

Crone is a very descriptive book. The author’s talent for words was clearly evident. There are many vivid scenes that put you in the shoes of the characters. Some parts made me feel completely gross and uncomfortable, which is exactly what you would expect in a horror story.

However, what started as a positive soon turned into a negative when the book became too detailed. For instance, a quarter of the book is spent in 1984. Despite its subtitle, it’s not until we’re a hundred pages in that our heroine finally appears. There’s an entire page describing all the toys in a child’s bedroom. I think the book could have easily been much shorter without any great loss to the story.

The biggest flaw of the book is that Ezurra’s backstory is fully revealed in the first quarter. Later we see Scarlet trying to solve the crimes, but we already know who is behind them and what she wants. Crone started out as a page turner that was hard to put down, but by the second half I was getting bored and disinterested in the story.

Another big flaw is that I didn’t feel attached to the main character. Many times the book tells us that Scarlet is a gifted PI, but I can’t recall a single scene that showed that. Her success appears to come more from her privileges like beauty, wealth and influential connections. Unfortunately, the rest of the characters weren’t any more likable. In this book we see adults acting immature and throwing insults like high school kids. These were supposed to be the protagonists of the story, but I found most of them to be obnoxious. Their actions destroyed any sense of realism the book was trying to build.

Then there’s how the book described its characters. The good guys were all attractive and everyone in Scarlet’s way was depicted as ugly. Some examples would be:
appeared effeminate, a beak nosed little man
Jan “the Man” Peacock, a stocky gender confused cop
mathlete sissy
The book used a lot of double names. Scarlet is referred to as Sunni half the time, her niece Olivia as Livvy. The members of the Unholy 5 all have nicknames that are used intermittently with their proper names. After a while, it became hard to remember who is who.

The oddest thing about Crone was that the evil forces of the book spoke in Arabic. The reasons for that were never given. The Arabic dialogues were then translated into Shakespearean English that used words like thou and doeth. How exactly one should interpret that I’ll leave for you to decide.

The book was also not without editing errors. Most of the time it was incorrect words like in instead of it and he instead of him. The chapter numbers skip 32 and go from 31 to 33. There are many little errors that make the book seem like it wasn’t professionally edited.

The most difficult part in writing this review was figuring out how I would answer the question, “Would I recommend this book?” One part of me wanted to say that I would not. The disappointing second half makes it feel like an incomplete manuscript that was later finished by someone else. On the other hand, the first hundred pages were so well written that I feel bad for saying you shouldn’t read it. It was exactly the kind of horror mystery that I expected after reading the plot summary.

In the end, I’ll say that you could try this book if you’re a fan of the horror genre. I’ll leave it up to you whether it is worth a possible letdown. Any prospective readers should also be warned that the book’s content is not suitable for everyone. It has bad language as well as graphic descriptions of violence and rape.

Overall, it was a very uneven book with an equal number of strengths and flaws. There’s a great story in Crone, but all the little errors pile up to bring my opinion of it down. Therefore, I can’t give it more than 2 out of 4 stars. However, I still think the author is very talented and has a lot of potential for future stories.

Crone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

Sounds like a great murder mystery with Christian themes in it. Since Light and darkness are constantly in battle, i can see the author also included a dark theme. I get it if the glitches are settled it would get more stars. nice review.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

You had me enthralled until you got to the part where a psychic detective was introduced. I don't mind a supernatural twist to some stories as long as its subtle and doesn't stretch the realms of credibility too far. Also, a perfect protagonist is a sure way to get on my nerves. I did enjoy your appraisal, however. It was done tactfully and honestly. Nice review.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

sonya01 wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 02:07 You had me enthralled until you got to the part where a psychic detective was introduced.
:D That's pretty much what I could say to the author. The book really lost its steam after that.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Even though I think the immature protagonists would get on my nerves, as well, I think I could deal with everything else that you found to be negatives -- I could easily skip the extra details, I can overlook simple descriptions, and I don't mind knowing 'whodunit' and why from the beginning; I still enjoy reading about the "good guys" trying to figure it. So, it sounds like I may still enjoy this one. Thanks for the thorough review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds like it needs a really good editor. The double names would definitely have me confused. There are also ways to keep your reader engaged even after revealing the mysteries, but it doesn't sound like this author does so. I think I'll skip this one, but I do appreciate your detailed review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It sounds like this a book that needs to go back to the author for re-writing. Perhaps if the structure was rearranged and some of the annoying double-details were simplified, it might flow better and keep the reader engaged to the end? It is hard to continue reading a book that seems to have lost the plot, so congratulations on your persistence, Alice- great review!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This is a story that mixes the genres of horror and mystery. The author created a detailed fantasy world with a well-developed mythology.
This piqued my interest until you mentioned that the protagonist lacked substantial PI skills and almost all the adults behaved like obnoxious kids. I am not going to waste my time trying to figure out if this book is a letdown or not. I am going to take your word for it and pass this one. Thanks for the detailed and honest review.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I'm tempted to check this one out even with the errors. The story - a blend of fantasy and horror - is just up my alley! Thanks for an honest review.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounded great until you described the characterization, so I might skip this book. Great review!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

There is so much here I want to like, but I’m uncomfortable with the use of Arabic and it’s a huge pet-peeve of mine when good guys = good looking, bad guys = ugly (and especially using effeminate to connote bad and untrustworthy). Also disappointing to me that non-Christians are unlikely to find enjoyment here (which also makes the use of Arabic MORE uncomfortable to me). Really thorough, balanced, thoughtful review of what sounds like a book with a lot going on. Thank you for writing it with such attention to detail.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”